Skip to content

Local games Sat 7th January

With Wycombe’s progress in the FA Cup abruptly halted by Walsall, Saturday 7th January is now a free day (originally Oxford United at home). Rather than spend vast fortunes in the January sales why not part with a tenner & support some local football instead? Please though check with the clubs as any more rain may put games in jeopardy. Here’s some local entertainment on offer (all 3pm):

NATIONAL LEAGUE:

Wealdstone v Eastleigh

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH:

Brackley Town v Chester

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH:

Hemel Hempstead v Hampton & Richmond

Oxford City v St Albans City

SOUTHERN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION SOUTH:

Beaconsfield Town v Hayes & Yeading

Chesham United v Bracknell T

SOUTHERN LEAGUE DIVISION ONE CENTRAL:

Berkhamsted v FC Romania

Thame United v Walthamstow

COMBINED COUNTIES LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION NORTH:

Chalfont St Peter v Flackwell Heath

COMBINED COUNTIES LEAGUE DIVISION ONE:

Penn & Tylers Green v Bagshot

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION;

Risborough Rangers v London Colney

SPARTAN SOUTH MIDLANDS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE:

Amersham Town v Langford

Winslow United v Rugby Boro

Please post a match report if you go to any of these games but do check with the club you’re going to should the weather look at all dodgy.

Comments

• It always makes my brain hurt trying to find any logic to which leagues teams go in. I know the clubs have no control and are told by the FA in July, but surely there must be some reasoning behind it!

• Brackley Town 1-1 Chester

Since my last visit, the Saints have built a smart new clubhouse, to replace the one which burnt down, and built two small seated stands on the opposite side. The ground is now segregated.

This was second v fourth, both sides having won two and drawn three in their previous five.

Chester, in their smart all yellow kit with a black sash (I do like a sash) , looked sharper from the start, moving the ball quickly and were rewarded with a 7th minute goal. The ball was slipped through to the unmarked Kurt Willoughby, to run into the box and slot home at the far post, his 19th of the season.

Brackley gradually got into the game and the impressive midfielder Shepherd Murombedzi crashed a long range shot against the bar. They also had two other good chances to score before the break, including a shot blocked on the line.

The equaliser was excellent when, in the 52nd minute, left winger Callum Stead outpaced the left back on a long run and coolly steered his shot into the far corner. The Seals responded quickly, Willoughby curling a long ranger against the post but Brackley almost immediately took the lead. Adi Yussuf (remember him for Solihull in the FA Cup against us?) had a shot saved at point blank from six yards. Yussuf was replaced soon after by the exceedingly tall Levi Amantchi, who caused a few problems for the visitors.

Then the heavens opened, the rain came down almost horizontally, play was difficult on the lush turf, and there were no more chances, until two minutes into added time. The referee awarded a hotly disputed penalty to Brackley, it wasn't clear, but Adam Rooney blasted the kick over. Declan Weeks was then sent off for Chester, for two quick fire yellows, to draw the game to a close.

An enjoyable game watched by 941 (245 away). Roger Johnson's Brackley should have won the game, they had the better chances, but it was a good point on the day as leaders Darlington lost and third placed King's Lynn drew.

Remarkably Brackley have ended up in the play-offs in the past five seasons. I hope they finally get over the line this season and get to play some southern teams for a change. It's a handy 25 minute drive for me.

• Berkhamsted 6 FC Romania 1

Berkhamsted consolidated their top position in the Southern League Division One Central with an emphatic destruction of FC Romania. Some excellent football played. Berkhamsted have just completed the loan signing of keeper Aymen Azaze from Barnet for the rest of the season. Lovely to see him back in action after a horrific facial injury diving at the feet of a forward.