Skip to content

Comments

• Good report, cheers. I thought the ironic singing was quite funny to be honest. Why not have a bit of gallows humour when faced with such poor entertainment. If we were grinding out 1-0 wins like Bury did last season maybe the style of play would be understandable, but while no-one can doubt the lack of effort from players, and while we've suffered a catalogue of injuries lately, the crushing lack of creativity or finishing ability has made it a chore to watch since the new year.

• Michael Harriman's cross cum shot

o_O

• Our second half display last night was a vast improvement on recent fare but still didn't provide enough cutting edge or excitement. Ainsworth has managed what O'Neill and Lambert always moaned about. He's managed to lower the fans expectations to such an extent that any amount of entertainment is devoured.

If I'm honest I'm not sure the entertainment question is entirely Wycombe's problem. I can't think of a team I've seen recently who's played with any sort of flair or style. Lot's and lots of percentages and playing for set pieces and scraps.

• Bean getting MOTM was an absolute laughable aberration. Every ball he touches seems to gather a magnetic force which will attract it to any player not in a Quartered shirt.

Hayes made some nice touches, but not enough to influence the game.

The, I assume, tactical insistence of Pierre and Stewart to either smash the ball 70 yards when they're in clear space, or maraud with it forward when they're in clear danger is peculiar too.

• Two or three shots on target last night at least...more than we've seen for a while.
    Hayes OR Thompson...persisting with both old fellas as starters has been a failure this season I think.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    Our second half display last night was a vast improvement on recent fare but still didn't provide enough cutting edge or excitement. Ainsworth has managed what O'Neill and Lambert always moaned about. He's managed to lower the fans expectations to such an extent that any amount of entertainment is devoured.

If I'm honest I'm not sure the entertainment question is entirely Wycombe's problem. I can't think of a team I've seen recently who's played with any sort of flair or style. Lot's and lots of percentages and playing for set pieces and scraps.

The referees are a big part of the problem. Time wasting, fouls at corner etc, lack of consistency in bookings for tactical fouls. Much of it goes unnoticed or unpunished and teams at this level exploit that, often yielding healthy results. We are one the main beneficiaries I feel but it does the game no favours from an entertainment perspective.

The single best rules change would be to make the game an hour long but stop the clock every time the ball goes dead. Far too many games go by with the ball out of play for half of it.

• I'm not sure whether it was on here, or on the FB group, but someone summed up league 2 football perfectly for me.

Said it's a million miles away from the days where the likes of Garner, Guppy and Currie entertained with their skill, and now seems to be dominated by muscled up beasts smashing into each other in a right old scuffle each game

• Weren't we in the equivalent of League 1 when Garner and Currie played for us ?

• Ahh Garner and Regis. Now that was a pair of 30-something strikers who knew how to find the back of the net...

• Simon Garner was prolific all his career, even now untouchable for Blackburn even by the great Alan Shearer his record will never be beaten. Hayes and Garry have never been prolific strikers.

• Garner joined us towards the end of our first season in the league and helped us get promoted (scoring at Wembley)

Currie only ever played for us in the league above

• edited April 2016

@prufrock_91; got to agree, back two are no way as good on the ball as Mawson, who rarely lost it when marauding forward and I can never recall 70 yard hoofs to non body in mind. Goes to show what we have missed this season. I still believe with time both centre backs can have a good pre season and train on bring it out from the keeper and making intelligent passes or make the judgement call to run on goal. Anyway I hope so as hoofing it blindly, is annoying to witness every (those I can make ofc) home game.

• Their keeper really got on my nerves last night with his time wasting about which the ref did practically nothing. A quick booking would have sorted it. Also funny how people have stopped slagging us off as time wasting cheats since we stopped winning games recently.

• Hang on you're moaning about time wasting when Ainsworth has forced us to be masters at this? Christ League 2 fans are comparing us to Stevenage under Westley and rightly so and who wants to pay hard earned money to watch the shit we serve up every game?

• "I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good soccer. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: "A pretty move, for the love of God."

• @woodlands , said exactly the same thing at the game last night. Although there has to be somewhere in the middle of sheer gamesmanship/hated and winning, and be nice, and not!

• @peterparrotface
    April 20
    "I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good soccer. I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: "A pretty move, for the love of God."

You've been reading Alan Sm*th's autobiography then