Skip to content

Is this a fixture record?

I haven't been local to Wycombe for many years, so I pick and choose my home games to attend (even though my Vipienne residence has been of great solace in being able to watch games I don't go to in person).

So with that in mind, I was browsing the fixture list, and saw...

we have Posh (H) in the league on the 15th Oct, followed by, on the 18th Oct...

Posh (H), in the Pizza cup.

Now I would expect the Saturday fixture to do great business, given Posh's position in the league, the fact that they should bring decent numbers away, plus the added spice lent by their unusually sour grapes towards our promotion.

But playing the same team a few days later, in a competition that already struggles to capture even a nanosecond of the average fan's attention, and some also boycott because of the introduction of the U23 teams...I think we are seriously in danger of setting a whole new low attendance record.

To go back to the title of the post though, not including things like cup replays or playoff games, where of course you'd expect to play the same team twice within a short space of time, have we ever played the same team twice within less than a week?

Comments

• We played Slough on Boxing Day and NYD in 91/92

• edited August 2022

Bedford in the FA Cup 1966 ...

November 26th, 1-1(D)

November 30th - 1st replay, 3-3(D)

December 5th - 2nd replay, 1-1(D)

December 8th - 3rd replay, 2-3(L)

http://www.chairboys.co.uk/history/1966_11_wycombe_bedford_fac.htm

• edited August 2022

We also used to play teams home & away on successive days at Christmas.

1947 - St Albans City 26th/27th Dec

1948 - St Albans City 25th/27th Dec

1950 - Oxford City 25th/26th Dec

• The record could be attendance differential between consecutive games, and/or consecutive games against the same team.

We should get 7000+ for the league game, but i can see the Pizza Cup struggling to draw more than 1000.

• We played Boston in a FA Cup replay midweek at AP in 1990 and then again at AP 6 days later in the league. Interesting to note that in those days the cup game attracted a much bigger gate.

21-Nov-1990 Boston United                  FAC 1r   H W  4-0  (1-0)  4954
    27-Nov-1990 Boston United                  GMVC     H W  3-0  (0-0)  2764

• The official attendance for that cup game doesn't tell the whole story.

One day I would love to know how many were crammed in that night. Someone most know

• I’d be disappointed if we don’t get around 8,000 for Peterborough on 15 October.

• I remember Maidstone United playing home and away on consecutive (or two days apart) dates at Christmas in the late ‘forties/early ‘fifties. There was a very special atmosphere, no doubt fuelled by ample Christmas cheer.

mrs micra tells me the local charity shop (Holmer Green) already has Christmas cards on sale. Get in first, I suppose.

• edited August 2022

We played Swindon twice in 8 days in 2003 (there was an LDV thingy in between v Plymouth) and Bristol Rovers twice in four days in different competitions in 2004

Sat  1 Nov   Swindon Town        A L 0-2  5681 (561)
     Sat  8 Nov   SWINDON TOWN (FAC1) H W 4-1  4738(1127) Thomson, Currie 2,
                                                          McSporran

Sat 27 Nov   BRISTOL ROVERS      H W 1-0 4999  (739) Tyson (pen)
     Tue 30 Nov   Bristol R (LDV3)    A L 0-1 3667  (127)

• We played MK Dons (Thursday/Sunday) and Fleetwood (Friday/Monday) consequtively in the last few years. Let's hope that we see something similar again this year!

• We played Tranmere in FAC and League, 3 times between 9 Nov and 20 Nov 2019 (D, W, L).

• As ever my long-term memory is better than my short-term memory. (an age thing)

without having to hand the The excellent history book of the club at the moment I seem to recall in the autumn of 1972 we played Woking at home in a league game on the Tuesday night followed by Woking at home in an FA Cup tie on the Saturday

I think we won both games by the odd goal

• The one thing I remember about that cup game was what seems like hundreds and hundreds of people outside trying to get in just before the kickoff. We couldn’t get in to our usual spot on the Woodlands Terrace and eventually managed to squeeze in behind the goal of what is now the away end. I remember despite the fact many people were outside the ground they kicked off at the normal time. This was barely a year after Hillsborough and I thought this was way out of order

• This was mentioned earlier this year.

We played Kingstonian twice on the last day of the 1930-31 season. 3pm at their place, lost 2-0, and 6:30pm at Loakes Park, won 4-0. Fixture congestion due to the Amateur Cup run.

• I was behind the goal and you couldn't move

My brother got in just before half time

• Surely around the 7000 mark. It does rank as the most outrageous attendance claim ever given at Adams Park and one which is still talked about today.

• We played Boston in a FA Cup replay midweek at AP in 1990 and then again at AP 6 days later in the league. Interesting to note that in those days the cup game attracted a much bigger gate.

21-Nov-1990 Boston United                  FAC 1r   H W  4-0  (1-0)  4954
    27-Nov-1990 Boston United                  GMVC     H W  3-0  (0-0)  2764