Skip to content

Transfers and tactics

Great work from Ainsworth again. I was gutted and furious when Paris was sold for what I consider peanuts.

However I must say it is one of the best short term deals ever. Paris would have almost certainly gone in the summer for zero dosh and probably would have picked up several injuries along the way. However we have bagged several thousand and got an absolute gem in Fred, who looks like he may just fire us to promotion.

Although this may sound a little strange I was impressed that Ainsworth seemed to with the McClure substitution change the formation when Tranmere were on top of the game. Hopefully this will lead to a more proactive Gaz rather than wait until they have scored reactive Gaz.

Comments

• I have noticed Peter Murphy looks extremely frustrated at the minute. I thought him not getting on Saturday after Blooms, Saunders and Yennaris looked tired was not a great decision. I also think him getting brought on in the 89th minute after already being down to 10 for 20 minutes was strange. He's a 6 ft 2 centre mid who I thought would of been able to slot in yesterday for a bit more security.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to leave at the end of the season.

• I suspect he had tired a bit and needed a rest. Perhaps Gaz is saving him for a tough run-in.

• I agree, he still has a big role to play this season.

• @WWFC_ said:
    I have noticed Peter Murphy looks extremely frustrated at the minute. I thought him not getting on Saturday after Blooms, Saunders and Yennaris looked tired was not a great decision. I also think him getting brought on in the 89th minute after already being down to 10 for 20 minutes was strange. He's a 6 ft 2 centre mid who I thought would of been able to slot in yesterday for a bit more security.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to leave at the end of the season.

89 minute substitution? Waste of time in my opinion, with 15-20 minutes to go Murphy would have secured things up. Plus rest some tired legs.

Southend will be very interesting for Rowe and Pierre dilemma. Rowe has had two good games and considering Rowe hasn't had much game time like a few, should keep his shirt for Southend.

• Although Rowe has arguably not been bad, I think the fact we have conceded 3 goals in 2 will lead to a return to the Pierre/Mawson partnership.

• With Ingrams uncertainty on crosses, Pierre is a shoe in.
    The Alfie and Arron partnership is one,if not the best defensive combo
    in this division.

• although Rowe has done well, Mawson does look more comfortable with Pierre along side, so I go Alfie/Arron for Saffend

• Pierre every time for me but it's good to have Rowe in reserve if anything happens to Pierre or Mawson during a game.

• With that in mind, and having seen Rowe at CB for these last two games, I still find it baffling that GA seemed to prefer reshuffling Scowen to RB and Jombati to CB earlier in the season. Still, can't complain as we ended up taking the three points at Morecambe. Burton however was another kettle of fish...

• edited March 2015

Rowe wasn't on the bench for the Morecambe game, so couldn't have come on when Pierre was injured.

You mean the 3-1 home defeat to Burton @AttitudeEra ? Rowe and Mawson played in that game. Was Rowe in midfield? My memory isn't what it was.

The one home match I do recall playing Scowen at right back was the defeat by Wimbledon. Mawson and Rowe were both refused permission to play as I recall.

• Wasn't Scowen suspended for the Burton game?

• Surely Gaz has to go back the Aaron and Alfie. No offence to Rowe, but currently he's not in contention ability wise at the moment.

• @Rolo said:
    Rowe wasn't on the bench for the Morecambe game, so couldn't have come on when Pierre was injured.

You mean the 3-1 home defeat to Burton AttitudeEra ? Rowe and Mawson played in that game. Was Rowe in midfield? My memory isn't what it was.

The one home match I do recall playing Scowen at right back was the defeat by Wimbledon. Mawson and Rowe were both refused permission to play as I recall.

My error Rolo re Morecambe, was recalling from memory - any ideas why Rowe was not on the bench? In that case I seem to remember it must have been Murphy (who apparently spent several years as a CB) that I was baffled at, assuming he would slot straight in, allowing a straight replacement for him to come on at CM. Gaz seemed to indicate at the time that Murphy was too integral a part of midfield to want to move him back to CB for a game, but the net result was Jombati at CB AND losing Scowen from his midfield role.

• Rowe wasn't on the bench because he'd been recalled by Rotherham at the time.