Skip to content

Comments

• Wow, an optimistic forecast of WWFC to score 2 goals! Actually if Jerrel Sellas starts, I wouldn't disagree with that. I thought he was a breath of fresh air effectively forcing us to keep the ball on the deck. IMHO we really looked a side with a cutting edge

• Says something when you compare the three top Notts County goalscorers on 11, 10 and 9, with Wycombe's on 8, 7 and 5. Especially when you look at the table and the form guide. In fact, it says to me, we have to start Sellars!

• Yes; it says scoring goals isn't everything. County may have scored more goals, but that hasn't got them in a play-off position with eight games to go.

Would Sellars be as useful defensively as Hayes or Thompson? We don't know yet, of course, but it is as much a consideration for Ainsworth as whether he will be more likely to score.

• Yes I wish we had great scorers like Notts and were in the exciting position of 19th place.

• But they do have James Banton!

• Who he?!

• Any good?

• We will find out tomorrow.

• How do you rate Jason Banton?

• @micra Jason Banton. Used to play for us a little while back.

• Probably not related to James?!

• @Uncle_T @arnos_grove are you both saying you're happy with our goalscoring endeavors this season? Are you the sort of people who watch uncomplaingly no matter what fare you're served? Were you like that when Peter Taylor was in charge? Are you like that in restaurants?

• The gap in GD between the top 6 teams and everyone else (i.e. us) is enormous, so being pragmatic, scoring lots of goals isn't going to make a huge difference; we just need the points.

Still be nice to see us score more though :-)

• I've a feeling you might get your wrist slapped @aloysius (metaphorically speaking of course!)

• @aloysius What are you, some kind of detective? Of course we could score more but our points total thus far shows we are in the playoff places, whilst our loans of late show that we are addressing the issue and I for one trust that GA is focussing on this in training.

Chances are coming more frequently and whilst these are not yet being transformed into goals our strikers are 'defending from the front' as Gaz is fond of saying. I'm sure the contributors mentioned above see the big picture and are not so worried about goals scored as they are about points on the board and goal difference!

We get what you mean aloy, try not to let your passive agressive side take over old chap.

On to tomorrow, COYB!!!!

• edited March 2016

@aloysius said:
    Uncle_T arnos_grove are you both saying you're happy with our goalscoring endeavors this season? Are you the sort of people who watch uncomplaingly no matter what fare you're served? Were you like that when Peter Taylor was in charge? Are you like that in restaurants?

I very much disliked the Peter Taylor era. It was far more boring than what we see now and on a bigger budget.

I don't complain much about the current WWFC output as I believe we're doing very well under the circumstances. I enjoy watching us again which I didn't in the fag end of the Hayes era. For the record, I enjoyed last season more, but that's a fairly obvious statement.

For me, the match is just one part of the deal. I like being part of the revival of something that very nearly died for me. Something that's not built of thrashing money about and bullshitting people. A club where players stick their heads into the bar, are (to a man) kind and friendly to kids such as my nephew who pesters them for a photo or a signature.

Can't say I'm keen on the gamesmanship but we aren't alone in it. Referees need to step up and snuff it out - most managers aren't going to (especially not one on a limited budget). Now I know I'll get slapped down here by the 'we're loaded actually' brigade, but I simply don't believe that we are.

You're more than entitled to your views, but you seem to do a lot of complaining about the fare that's placed in front of you.

Are you like that in restaurants?

• @arnos_grove Fair response. Yup, that's what I'm like in restaurants. Probably why I find it hard to get tables in some establishments!

• I hope you only complain only after you've received all your food.

• But but, its not just only only!

(Norsk) Men men, det er ikke noe bare bare!

Tough being a Wycombe waiter these days, the food's cold before the goals come!)

• edited March 2016

@aloysius said:
    arnos_grove Fair response. Yup, that's what I'm like in restaurants. Probably why I find it hard to get tables in some establishments!

I'll give every restaurant a chance. If it's crap I don't go back. Far less stressful than confronting the waiter and getting an additional 'ingredient' added to the next course!

Anyway, getting a bit off topic. But if anyone wants any restaurant tips for tomorrow, as a resident of Nottingham I'm happy to oblige...

• May I just say how much I've enjoyed the debate on this thread. Deciding who to side with is a bit like deciding whether to exit or remain in the EU but I spent a while on the Fans Facebook page earlier and it is so refreshing to come back to a grown-up discussion, however esoteric.

My bit of nonsense earlier about the misnaming of Jason Banton seems trite and childish by contrast and was rightly ignored!

• The more alert amongst you will realise that my post above should have been on the Mansfield "what constitutes cheating" thread. I feel a right Wally.

• Good debate. @NorsQuarters, in regards to addressing our goal scoring record, I find it a odd that we have had, how many up top? who unfortunately aren't finding the net regularly, is more to do with our service and play style than the strikers being goal shy.

As we are getting goals from all positions of the field, surely Allsop should try his luck and get on the score sheet.

Anyway we are doing well as it is, so just serve us some of that 10 minute spell when Sellars (AV) came on some more please.

• @aloysius I would love to see Wycombe scoring two, three or more every week, but not at the possible expense of getting points on the table. I do fear that our inferior goal difference could be the decider between play-offs or not come the end of the season. It would appear too late to make the difference up against Pompey and others now, so better to get enough points that goal difference isn't a factor.

I have faith that Ainsworth and Howard have been trying to address the lack of goals, but without much luck: PCH came back looking like scoring eight or ten easily this half of the season, but got injured; Liburd hasn't delivered what was expected of him, but perhaps has been carrying an injury also, having made his debut with blue tape stuck all around his knee; Sellars may be third-time lucky.

• Whilst we would all like to see us score more goals there should be genuine pleasure in watching our defenders. Defending is a skill/art and sometimes can be quite breathtaking. We have had the privilege of watching some of the best at our level over the last couple of years so if isn't all doom and gloom

• It's been lashing it down all night here in Nottingham and it's still coming. Hope it packs up soon - I'd keep an eye on all the usual sources.

• Rain cleared through about half an hour ago. Looks promising