Skip to content

Anthony Stewart....back to his best?

MBSMBS
edited March 2016 in Football

One of the highlights of yesterday's game was the last ditch, and beautifully timed tackle , that Anthony Stewart made in the box in the first half. Very Jason Cousins. Stewart seems to be back to his best after his spell away, and what an incredibly powerful back two he and Pierre make....we may not score too many goals but we are shipping very few as well. Roll on Monday, but dreading the long journey home to the South Coast!!

Comments

• Second tightest defence in the league, well done the back five! Just got to get those shots creepong inside the posts/bar.

• Absolutely agree on Stewart, was saying the same at the game yesterday, he has been outstanding in recent weeks, probably better than Pierre. In the last 2 seasons we have been as good defensively as i can remember in my 20 odd years as a ST holder.

• Ditto in nearly 50!

• I don't think Gareth has had enough credit for organising the defence over the last couple of years regardless of who actually occupies the defensive positions.

• Alfie Mawson, I have it on good authority, was none too impressed with Lee Johnson, who apparently treated the players like kids...totally different approach to the way Gareth Ainsworth manages his staff. He would play again under Ainsworth in a heartbeat..which says a lot about our manager.

• Stewart was an absolute beast yesterday, him and Pierre are the best cb pairing in the league. With JJ, McCarthy and Allsop not much will breach that back 5.

This new sellers lad looked good, paired well with Hayes when he came on, interlinking and also had a bit of bite. Like to see young lads giving as good as they get.

My 11 for Monday would be:

Allsop
    McCarthy
    Stewart
    Pierre
    JJ
    Harriman
    O'Nein
    Bloomfield
    Hayes
    Sellers (new)
    Thompson

• Sellars - not to be confused with Sellers (used). Thank you.

• Did someone say Paul Emblem?

• Hayes and Thompson can't start up front again, not worked all season. They've only scored once in the same game, compare that to the amount of times Gaffney and Taylor have both netted

• @banterking ; apparently we play better with Thommo and Hayes partnership, this line has been used all season, so don't expect anything to change as long as we remain in the top half with goals from everywhere bar that pairing.

Thommo and Hayes for 70mins, then the young guns as subs for the reminder of the season combination. I still believe we will make the playoffs with our current form so will grit my teeth and cheer the team on.

• The new sellars ... Let's call him Peter, as he put a smile on our faces as well

• It was good to see Sellers (used - not enough IMOH) have a proper run out and thought he had a good game considering that was the most he's played all season, wouldn't be surprised if yesterdays game was more than all his other appearances for us put together. Didn't realise he had such a long throw on him, bit more practice that could be useful.

• edited March 2016

@crabbie; same here, with Wood out, I'm looking forward to watching Sellers on the left hand side of midfield and Sellers launching them throw ins , nice to see some throw-ins routines, may get better returns, than our free kicks.