Skip to content

Saint Martin interview may well provoke a reaction.

Comments

• I imagine he won't be all that bothered. He is cut from an old school mould that quietly doesn't give a shit.

• good on him, if people can't see thats banter then shame on them and you for even posting it.

• Quite agree but then I predate Political Correctness by about half a century.

• I'm sure it won't be a problem for him in the short term but it's the sort of comment that'll potentially stop broadcasters wanting to employ him as a summariser.

• I may be simple but I thought it was a piece of Irish craic. Martin always was pretty dry and I reckon it was a small dig at the PC battalions.

• if they don't employ him because of that then shame on them, some of the idiots they do employ like Owen and Hargreaves and Kilbane please MON for me everytime.

• I am all in favour of a bit of equality etc but why MoN's comments has been mentioned in the same context as that fool from the Indian Wells competition is beyond me. This is someone making light of stupid questions with stupid answers not someone saying that women should go on their knees to thank men.
    Is this a BFP journalist doing an internship ?

• My reaction?

LOL.

• Sexist nonsense I'm afraid. A real shame

• Is it Eric? I thought he was being obviously sarcastic.

When did we all lose our sense of humour?

• Indeed.

• I agree. Knowing Martin's tone and dry sense of humour I think he's pitched it as so cartoonish it's obvious what is going on. No wonder sports interviews have got so bland

• When @DevC attempts humour in the form of a comment about an attractive woman with nice legs this forum bursts into life with outrage and condemnation.

When Martin O'Neill attempts humour in the form of a comment that attractive women are welcome but ugly women are not this forum jumps to his defence.

Make your minds up guys!

• It's clearly a joke. Whether it's a funny or wise one is another question.

• @Uncle_T said:
    When DevC attempts humour in the form of a comment about an attractive woman with nice legs this forum bursts into life with outrage and condemnation.

When Martin O'Neill attempts humour in the form of a comment that attractive women are welcome but ugly women are not this forum jumps to his defence.

Not sure "bursts into life with outrage and condemnation" is strictly accurate! The two situations are very different in any case and the differing responses probably reflect the differing esteem in which the respective "perpetrators" are held.

• I suppose it's down to context and knowing the people involved.

• I expect the the Guardianistas will come out in full force comdemnations from various column writers ( Polly Toynbee I'm looking at you) oh and stand up comedians (if different) and maybe even something on Newsnight ,followed by an aapology with an attempt at an explanation by Martin and a statement from the FAI then we will all move on.

• I just wonder what Sally Jockstrap would have made of all this...

• anyone all affronted at Sir Martin's words, should just soak in a few "Oh piss off" comments and get on with something more important.