Skip to content

Match day thread: Stevenage

Comments

• Sun's shining so I'm saying 2 nil Wycombe.

• Afternoon all.

Today's game will be live on BBC Three Counties 95.5FM and DAB. It will also be on Chairboys Player.

COYB!

• (Allsop, Mcath, jj, Stwart, Pierre, Harriman , O'nien, blooms, Thompson, Hayes, liburd)
  • Unless Thompson will play as a winger it looks like 4-3-3 with him,Hayes and Liburd up front,could be interesting!

• Would liked to of seen ugwu up with Thomson and Liburd and rest Hayes on the bench. Coyb!

• Can someone at the game hazard a guess at today's formation?

• RitM's bet looking good so far!

• 1-0 O'Nien

• I'm celebrating in a rugby pub in London about that goal, looking like a right spanner.

• good result. 4 strikers on today and a midfielder scores !! come on guys

• Scarlet. Are you one of the people that chants to get Ugwu on the pitch after 30 minutes? I would like to know what you see in him. I have yet to see anything that convinces me he is worthy of wearing the quarters.
    Today Liburd was promising, but struggled with the final strike. He really should have scored with a header.

• Thought Ugwu did really well when he came on today. Few lovely touches.

• Ugwu did exactly the same as all the strikers at the club. Excellent touch. Nice link up. Good running. Absolutely inept in front of goal

• 1-0 again! In reality though it should have been 3 or 4, it was a pretty decent performance today with plenty of chances created. Liburd looked useful, although should have scored a couple, as he had 4 or 5 good chances.

Hayes would be MotM for me, he was at his creative best today, causing all sorts of problems for the Stevenage defence and linking up very nicely with the other forwards.

A very enjoyable performance in my opinion. If we keep creating as many chances as we did today, then I'm sure the goals will come.

• @Fit2drop said:
    Scarlet. Are you one of the people that chants to get Ugwu on the pitch after 30 minutes? I would like to know what you see in him. I have yet to see anything that convinces me he is worthy of wearing the quarters.
    Today Liburd was promising, but struggled with the final strike. He really should have scored with a header. I didn't say Liburd wasn't promising what I said was would like to see ugwu upfront with him and Thomson and give Hayes a rest. And if it didn't work Hayes as sub.

• We deserved to win. Created more cha cues than recent 1 nillers.

• Interesting how different people saw the game. A fair number of people around me in the Frank Adams Upper didn't seem that impressed, but there again they rarely do. I thought we did well today, and created lots of chances, but after half a dozen of those chances went begging in the first 10 minutes, my mind flashed back to the similar start against Luton a few weeks ago. Fortunately though, Stevenage weren't capable of pulling a worldie out of the bag like Luton did, they were just content to play like Stevenage always play, and frustrate and niggle us. They only started to cause us one or two problems once they went behind. Great goal for us, though. Could Luke be shaping up to be our player of the season?

• I think Ugwu has some potential and I hope he is given another year. His finishing certainly needs considerable improvement but his touch and awareness is fairly good for a player of his age. He certainly shows more enthusiasm and effort than Holloway did.

• I find Ugwu exciting to watch and genuinely hope to see more of him

• I'm celebrating a home win alongside my bookie win to be bothered to get into any spates with people with axes to grind.

• edited March 2016

removed

• No need for that really.

• Hope to see ugwu get more game time to.

• happy we won but not happy with the reputation where getting with other teams seems like were hated by most teams now

• After watching O'Niens goal again and still got change, what an awesome weekend. Well done lads.

• Judging by the highlights, Liburd has great positional awareness and its only a matter of time until he gets the right connection and scores a bucketload?

• Hope you're right "bill". I was so sure that we would score 2 or 3 yesterday that I ventured to suggest that the odds were heavily stacked against another 1-0. That's 9 now this year I believe. Exciting isn't it.

• I thought Liburd looked promising, caused them a few problems and that cross from Hayes for his header was class...as the cliche goes, either side of the keeper and it is in. I also thought Ugwe looked dangerous when he came on. More shooting practice Gareth! I think Liburd will get a few once he gets one. (If that makes sense!)

• It wasn't until I had got home afterwards and was talkgin to my wife that I realised that, for the first time this season, there was not one single moment during the match that I thought we might lose. I thought for quite a bit of it that we might have to settle for a draw, but not at any point that a loss was a possibility.

Given that I usually spend most of every match convinced that Wycombe are going to lose, even when a goal or two up - every attack by the opposition filling me with dread - I guess that must be a fair indication of how hopeless Stevenage were on the day.