Skip to content

Fa rules on non league players

Could Wycombe look closer to home at local teams for talented players and take them on trial I'm sure they could prove better than taking on loan players.z

Comments

• For every non league gem you find, there's a load of Sunday league dross. Some of our late signings in the miracle of Torquay season were proof of that.

If you need someone quickly due to injuries or to replace outgoing transfers, loans are what you want. It is why the system exists, and allows you to pick up players who have already been scouted and signed by clubs further up the pyramid.

• There are very very few rough diamonds in the local non league.

• @brittanywanderer said:
    Could Wycombe look closer to home at local teams for talented players and take them on trial I'm sure they could prove better than taking on loan players.z

I'm equally sure they wouldn't prove better than loanees.

• When people think of "Non-League" they tend to think of signing players from the National League or National Leagues North/South as that's the likely minimum standard required. However, two of the great players in our Football League history came from much humbler backgrounds: Keith Ryan (Berkhamsted Town - now defunct) and Dave Carroll (Ruislip Manor - now the home of Wealdstone FC). There's still talent out there but probably within a 30 mile radius of High Wycombe rather than a 10 mile radius.

• Is there not the additional problem of player and team expectations for 'talent'. I think its right that we signed Ryan for some sportswear. Every manager and player from Sunday league upwards seems to be under the impression that their talent or prodigy is worth a lot more than they actually are.
    The moment a football league club shows interest in a lower league player now cash tills start to ring in their heads. They don't see the risk we are taking and the resources we don't have.

• @A_Worboys I agree with your point that clubs such as Wycombe should cast the net wide and look below the National League and National League Regional level when seeking raw talent. I also think, however, that the chances of finding someone at those lower levels who could come in and do a job in League Two are very slim.

The examples of Keith Ryan and Dave Carroll perhaps give a false impression. They did prove, as you say, to be two of the great players in Wycombe's football league history. At the time they joined Wycombe, however, Wycombe were still a part-time, non-league side themselves, meaning they each had a few years to develop at Conference level before having to show their ability in the Football League.

Would they have been able to make the step up directly from Berkhamsted Town or Ruislip Manor to the Football League? There is, of course, no way to know, but it surely would have been more of a challenge.

• Then there is always a Sergio Torres that defies the odds.............