Skip to content

McClure Red Card

Having just seen the red card properly, surely we will appeal? Eyes on the ball, not looking at the defender, elbow wasn't even raised that high, defender has made a meal of it.

Maybe a bit fortunate with the penalty as not sure the defender could do anything to get out of the way, but then should have had a blatant pen second half.

Comments

• Never a sending off.

Straight arm, eyes on the ball, meal made by defender.

Appeal it.

• Just watched it. Absolutely agree.

• Poorly timed jump or lack of bravery ? never made any attempt to head the ball
    and led with a flailing arm. might have got away with it sometimes, but can't see any point in an appeal.

• Just watched it, red card seems a bit harsh.

Video here for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:

Doesn't sound like Ainsworth is interested in appealing, though:

“I think he’s led with his arm, but he hasn’t meant to elbow the guy in any way,” said Ainsworth.

“I know Matty McClure very well and he would never try and hurt anyone, but I think he’s jumped up and if he has caught him in the mouth with his arm then it’s a red card.

“It’s unfortunate but it happens. There’s no way Matty would mean to do that so he’s got my backing.”

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/11831153.Wanderers_manager_defends_McClure_after_sending_off/

• Looks a harsh red to me

• Considering the deliberate anti-football we watched from Boro at the weekend it certainly seems harsh.

• If you pause it right at '55 you can see his arm go into the throat of the Tranmere player, but there's no intent whatsoever. He is, however, making no attempt to win the ball either.

Sounds like there was home fan rage over the two goals from the video, maybe a make-up call.

• Its a red card for me, hes used his arm for leverage but at the end of the day hes caught the guy with either his elbow or forearm and thats a red card.

• Looks like he had no intent but his arm made contact and that's a red. Another day it might have been a got away with it yellow but I don't see any appeal grounds here. Not been a great year for him and I think card or not his playing time was going to be limited to injury cover and subs appearances from here on in. If we go up I don't see him coming with us.

• just posted on Twitter by Phil Catchpole

BREAKING: #wycombewanderers will be appealing the red card shown to Matt McClure against Tranmere. What do you think? http://t.co/1WSHSdnPIH

— Phil Catchpole (@bluntphil) March 4, 2015
  • For me the big lump of a defender goes down so easily I would have given him a yellow for being so pathetic. I thought they "made them 'ard oop North?"
    McClure doesn't even see him coming so absolutely no intent. Does it not come into the category of "a coming together?"

• No way on earth that will get overturned. No point appealing it at all

• edited March 2015

I am guessing there is no risk in making an appeal. If it is extended due to frivolous appeal he will be injured for most of the ban anyway. If it were Hayes then the club might think differently

• @eric_plant why do you think it wont get over turned ? It does look to me in that video like McClure was only looking at ball with his back towards the Rovers player surly there was no level of intent.

• Any refs on here who can clarify? - there's clearly contact but equally clearly no intent. Is intent relevant? Is it violent conduct just because he was waving his arm around?

• red cards only seem to get overturned if there has been a glaring error (eg a case of mistaken identity). This is far from an obvious error and the decision can easily be justified, whether you think it harsh or not. No chance on earth that gets overturned

• Someone at the club must think there is at least a chance it will be overturned.

• I saw a Tranmere fan on another forum saying" I heard the crack when McClure's elbow hit his head" What over the noise of everything going around him at the match? LOL!!

• "Chris
    5:09PM Flag
    Someone at the club must think there is at least a chance it will be overturned."

I'd suggest it's more a case that they think it can do no harm. It's a complete waste of time

• It was reckless so we won't get it rescinded.

• Anyone who's saying that's a red have clearly never played competitive football, clearly just a coming together, barely even a foul let alone a red,should get overturned if the FA are at all competent..which they probably will prove once again they're not

• Stewart had his rescinded last season even though it could be argued that there was 'some contact'. But the general consensus was that it wasn't a foul even though he was the last man.

In this case I think they will be looking at 'was it a free kick'? And if the answer is yes then it will be very unlikely that it will be rescinded.

• @eric_plant said:

I'd suggest it's more a case that they think it can do no harm. It's a complete waste of time

While I agree with this to some extent they must think there is some chance, however slight, or they wouldn't have bothered appealing.

• They made reduce the length of the ban from 3 games for violent conduct, to just one?

• Ref no doubt influenced by the Tranmere defender's theatrical rolling about. Straight out of the Matt Ingram school of amateur dramatics.

• Will be over turned I reckon defiantly not intentional

• While it doesn't look like a red card, and clearly he has eyes on the ball, it is not clear cut enough for it to be overturned in my opinion. Unluckily and very harsh yes, but these decisions are only overturned when it is very clearly the wrong decision, if there is any doubt the original decision will stand.

• The only offence that requires intent is handball.
    Not sure how it's a red card as he's in his right to challenge for the ball and his arm is pretty low, though at the same time I can't see it being rescinded

• As Matic got one game less for his shove a few weeks ago surely McClure should get his reduced at least.

• SurreyWanderer
    10:31AM Flag
    While it doesn't look like a red card, and clearly he has eyes on the ball, it is not clear cut enough for it to be overturned in my opinion. Unluckily and very harsh yes, but these decisions are only overturned when it is very clearly the wrong decision, if there is any doubt the original decision will stand.

That's exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for making it a lot better than I did!