Skip to content

Wycombe in Europe memories

As we embark on another foreign adventure, anyone have tales of our Anglo Italian triumph?

Comments

• I seem to remember my dad telling me Wycombe played an African team who were Barefooted, perhaps in he late 70s? Is this correct?

• Probably my favourite ever Wycombe Wanderers footage.

• With regards the Anglo Italian Cup V Monza, I'd love to hear more about this. How did it come about that we were playing in this competition? Did many Wycombe fans travel to the 1st leg in Italy? I often hear from older fans that it was the best atmosphere they've ever known at a Wycombe match, but even through some extensive internet searches there's precious few details about this momentous occassion.

• I was at Loakes Park for the 2nd leg,what a fantastic night that was one i'll never forget. To be honest i can't remember why we were in the tournament maybe the club could help you with the answer to that.

• I was there at the game against the Ugandans. The grass was lush and wet so the visitors in bare feet couldn't stand up. It was the first match of their tour and things got better for them later when they acquired boots.

• I agree the Monza home game is a wonderful memory. It was one of the best atmospheres I can ever remember. No idea why we were playing but it was - I think - still in the Amateur days so we were probably the top amateur club in the country. I'll dig out the programme for it and see if it mentions why.
    We followed this the next(?) year with the Anglo Italian tournament at the end of the season which was a little more low key but some good attendances I think.
    As an aside March and April back then were great for a football obsessed teenager. We had at least 3 or 4 games a week. Often a backlog of league games and obscure cup competitions and if that wasn't enough loads of friendlies - often against Scandanavian teams coming out from their winter break

• You don't even have to go back that far. At the end of our conference winning season we went through a spell of playing Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

And they all had jobs!!

• As well as the above,I too was at the home Monza game fantastic night and the home Anglo Italian matches the next season The club also toured at the end of most seasons up the late 80s.They went to places such as Greece and Gibraltar.It was also common to play matches on the Channel Islands in an Easter Tour.I also remember the home friendlies mentioned above against Scaninavian sides such as Viking Stravanger.Other teams to tread the famous sloping Loakes Park pitch were Chicago Sting, Rot Weiss Rhine from Germany and Algerian Airlines FC!

• Monza. Somewhere there must be some footage. I remember jumping up and down in front of a TV crew from Italy on the pitch at the end of the game as kid, the reporter just carried on broadcasting even though some of the 70's bootboys where doing more than I was!

• the ugander game was played to a capacity crowed in 1956 I remember standing in the under cover stand banging like mad on the correlated wall at the back!

• Beautifully correlated as I recall! Had a right good gander at it.

• @eric_plant it was just before my time, so I checked the stats, and how on earth did they make us play two games in 2 days, and therefore, 3 in 4 days?!

If we hadn't been coasting the league I bet we'd have been furious!

17-Apr-1993 Altrincham GMVC H L 0-2 (0-1) 6284
    18-Apr-1993 Gateshead GMVC A W 1-0 (0-0) 815
    20-Apr-1993 Northwich Victoria DC S/F1 A D 0-0 (0-0) 1005

• My favourite - before my time - was when they played Kingstonian (I think) at home in the morning (?) before all going off to play the reverse fixture in the afternoon/evening on the last day of the season. Now that is the way to do it!

• Took the train up from Oslo to Hamar to watch the Wycombe youth team, was the only supporter there! Screamed for 90 minutes, we lost by a ton but I did get to meet Dobbo and got a ride on the team bus back to the station. Good memories...

• I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we did 2 games in 2 days in our 1st season in what's now League 1. A Boxing day draw with Bristol Rovers, followed by the famous 0-2 win at Oxford. Have I remembered that correctly?

The fixture pile up in out title winning season was just down to our success that season. Apart from winning the league, we also won the FA Trophy, got to the final of the Bob Lord Trophy (basically the League Cup) and a 2nd round replay in the FA Cup. Can't remember how we got on in the B&B, but that was also a 1st team competition in those days.

• edited March 2016

Didn't remember that, but you're bang on @Wycombe85 26-Dec-1994 Brighton & HA EL2 H D 0-0 7085
    27-Dec-1994 Oxford United EL2 A W 2-0 9540 Ryan, Garner

How on earth was that scheduled?! Mental. Anyone know the story behind that?

• ha ha corrugated iron wall!

• @Malone I believe everyone had the same schedule. Boxing Day was Boxing Day, so their was a full card, and the 27th was a Saturday, so there was a full card. No namby pamby spacing out of fixtures

• I remember the good old days when you played on Christmas day AND Boxing day, I think this stopped after the 56/57 season. Now players complain about playing twice a week!

• I do remember back in the day we played 2 minor end of season games ,one on Friday night and then again on Saturday afternoon,putting out practically the same team,all had day jobs too!
    We did indeed play Kingstonian twice in the same day in the 1930s away in the afternoon and home early evening!