Skip to content

The Opposition View - Bristol Rovers

2»

Comments

• @EwanHoosaami What he said. Perfectly sums up my feelings too

• Yes one of my favourites. I think @Hughie is a plant.

• No way is @Hughie a plant any more than @eric_plant is a Hughie. They've both been on here from the year dot.

• I suspect that fans of other clubs could compile a fairly ludicrous opposition view each week from the WWFC Facebook group.

• No,I'm not a plant ! Nor do i suggest we are responsible for the opposition diatribe.I do,however feel that their responses week after week are annoying and combine to try to make us out to be loutish and a poor side which patently we are not

• Keep the Opposition View. Interesting stuff and a good reminder that history is very often written by the victors.

• I find them anything but annoying and from my perspective the responses can be quite humorous. You can make some kind of judgement about an opposing set of fans by how they respond to us. We aren't anything out of the ordinary as far as 4th division football clubs are concerned and what these 'supporters' give to us, they give to every other team week in week out; biased referees, players who should have been sent off, hoofball tactics, time wasters etc etc. @bill_stickers may be right about opposing fans reading the Facebook group but if they bothered to read Gasroom 2 they would see something more nuanced.

Any set of supporters (and that includes Bristol Rovers) is made up of a large spectrum of humanity from decent people you would be happy to have a beer with to complete numpties who should be behind bars. The trick is in seeing where that balance lies and as such the Opposition View is a very handy tool. Reading the unremittingly partial response of the Bristol Rovers fans to the game, combined with their actions over the last few seasons leads me, and I guess most other people to draw the conclusion that their scales are, more than most, tilted towards the knuckle dragging end of humanity.

This does not apply to every team we play and the responses of say, the Exeter City fans to our recent game contained the odd nugget of fairness. However, even they made a bit of a mess of the away end last season...

Vital does, I am sure, try to give a fair reflection of what it sees but in the absence of any more balanced opinions, I assume there were none. If I'm ever up before the beak, I pray to God that the jury is not composed of Bristol Rovers supporters!

• @bill_stickers said:
    I suspect that fans of other clubs could compile a fairly ludicrous opposition view each week from the WWFC Facebook group.

Actually you'd probably still be able to compile a just as ludicrous negative, bitter list of comments criticising Wycombe from the WWFC Facebook group, never mind what is said about the opposition.

• Opposition View is great fun. Surely when we win, it makes it even better when you read it. One phrase that regularly appears (whatever the other views) is 'Wycombe wanted it more than we did...' long may it be so.