Skip to content

Pre-Game on Saturday...

With the hope of avoiding a derailed thread discussing the pro's and cons of having a drink before football... what are everyone's plans for Saturday? A leisurely train in to Wembley for 1.30pm? Or an early morning start propping up a London boozer?

Comments

• Drinking in Wycombe from 10ish, pub yet to be decided but wherever lets us in probably

• Praying

• Has it been confirmed that we've got the Torch?

• Suppose it depends on whether Sunderland fans are laying claim to pub space as well as seats.

• Rose & Crown opens at 11, so a couple of pints in there and then train to Wembley. Probably a couple of cans whilst I'm queueing on the train about 12. Food either in Wycombe or near the stadium depending on when I'm peckish.

• Leaving mine at 7am, 7 of us going. Getting the train from Crewe that gets us in to Wembley around midday. Will have a few drinks on the train, may get 1 or 2 around the ground and then hopefully it's a celebratory drink afterwards.

Staying the night and really looking forward to it.

• Breakfast in wycombe, then post midday beers in Wembley. Torch or the parish

• Isn’t The Torch a nightmare to get to from the station? Is there a fans zone?

• @perfidious_albion said:
    Isn’t The Torch a nightmare to get to from the station? Is there a fans zone?

20 min walk apparently and presumably that's based on Olympic Way not being rammed

• All our pubs are a 15 minute walk, torch an extra 5 but it's the biggest one we've got so that will attract the biggest crowd

• Is there a link for 'our' pubs please?

• This still says "Chelsea Fan Zone" - would be useful to know if there will be a similar fan zone for us before Saturday. Judging by Facebook / Twitter The Torch will be rammed by 10.30am.

• @Brownie said:

This still says "Chelsea Fan Zone" - would be useful to know if there will be a similar fan zone for us before Saturday. Judging by Facebook / Twitter The Torch will be rammed by 10.30am.

There's other pubs that were full of football fans with a good atmosphere before Euros games I went to.

Fan zone would likely be watered down pish for £7 no?

• Starting to wonder if I might not bother drinking in the day, remember every moment (hopefully, if we win!), then get shit faced back in Wycombe later

• I shall be enjoying a coffee or two and lunch in Marylebone before getting the train to Wembley.

I will be wearing a light/dark blue check suit & dark blue pork pie hat (aging rude boy stylee) - if you see me please do introduce yourself

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    I shall be enjoying a coffee or two and lunch in Marylebone before getting the train to Wembley.

I will be wearing a light/dark blue check suit & dark blue pork pie hat (aging rude boy stylee) - if you see me please do introduce yourself

Nice!

• @Erroll_Sims said:
    I shall be enjoying a coffee or two and lunch in Marylebone before getting the train to Wembley.

If I don't see you, I demand pics afterwards.

• I shall be coming from Aylesbury on a promised 'direct train' with absolutely no idea where I am going, drinking, or able to buy crisps from. Am I allowed to take them into the stadium if they are already opened?

• Must admit, what to do and where before the game is becoming exhausting haha, the group of us coming up together have changed our minds about 4 times already this week !

• We've not be able to narrow it down any closer than "Wycombe" then "Wembley" ...

• You do make i larf, @Wendoverman. Twice in the last five minutes I’ve had to ask mrs micra to pause the news to read her your comments. I’ve been sent to the kitchen now to don the cheffing hat.

• Poor woman, does she just say 'Oh, yes VERY funny' in a completely unamused manner @micra ?

• @drcongo said:

@Erroll_Sims said:

So do I ! Most unexpected, if true. @bluntphil was telling me recently that the Gasroom guys who used to meet socially in London hostelries from time to time were such a disparate bunch that you couldn’t imagine them meeting in any other context than as a bunch of football fans. I found that fascinating but Phil is much too discreet of course to describe particular individuals! I think it’s great that football embraces such a wide spectrum of folk. And I would have loved being there.

• @micra said:

@drcongo said:

@Erroll_Sims said:

So do I ! Most unexpected, if true. @bluntphil was telling me recently that the Gasroom guys who used to meet socially in London hostelries from time to time were such a disparate bunch that you couldn’t imagine them meeting in any other context than as a bunch of football fans. I found that fascinating but Phil is much too discreet of course to describe particular individuals! I think it’s great that football embraces such a wide spectrum of folk. And I would have loved being there.

Can confirm.

• It's one of the greatest things about being a football fan.

I've made friends with people that I would never have met, let alone become friends with, purely because of a shared love of Wycombe Wanderers

It's a beautiful thing

• I will probably head straight to the fan park, depending on Numbers may then walk up to the Torch and see who we can find on the way

• Can there be a post game one 'just in case' we win 2-0 and fancy dissecting the action over a squash or two?

• Not to gloat but my son lives in one of these student tower accommodation blocks that is just 5 minutes walk from the stadium. He happens to be studying catering and hospitality management and as decent chef and bartender will be knocking up a curry and some ‘Spirit of Wycombe’ Light and Dark Blue cocktails for us and a few guests to enjoy on the roof terrace pre match. Although it does mean entering his shared apartment thing which smells of socks, unwashed youths and weed.