Skip to content

The Opposition View - Northampton

Comments

• Wycombe summed up at the moment. Lot of endeavour no really quality. Some of that is down to form of key players and some of that is down to overall squad.

Its hard to complain when you look at our league position but when you know how close you are to being so much better and how the problems we had in September still exist today its difficult not to be frustrated.

• We have a real chance at promotion this year however it seems like the club are not willing to help GA and get some players in, we in desperate need of creative midfielder ane striker.. We are in the bottom 6 lowest scoring teams in the league.

• 7th most points though.

• Agreed Leauge position is good. It'd thanks to our defence, if that fails we will have no chance of ourscoring our opponents.

• I'm not sure it is all down to the defence. We do have high quality defenders (Pierre is far too good for this level) but I think a lot of it is down to the style we play - pressing, containing, counter-attacking football with emphasis on set pieces.

• In fairness the acquisition of Paris is aimed at addressing one of the main issues we have. We are still short of a creative midfielder (although it will be interesting to see if McGinn gets a decent run now) but how many of them are around twiddling their thumbs not getting games at other clubs?

• I just think that GA gets stuck with either false belief in players or has a touch of arrogance when it comes to team selection. Gary Thompson has never been an out and out striker but we persist with him. Hayes has hit a horrid non-scoring patch but we stick with him. AAH could have been dealt with far better with a more effective rotation of these three. Ugwu is a fine impact option but his show reel from last season showed him scoring 5 goals from about 3 inches out. We don't make many chances of that sort so thats his strength gone.
    The rest of his team selection is superb so I do wonder why we can't get the forwards right.

• Yeah agree, we have been calling out for a Saunders type of creative midfielder since the beginning of the season. Regarding the forwards sorry, but I will say it again I don't think asking forwards to track players deep inside our half then expect them to do a role upfront works for the entire season every game we play (mix it up sometimes give the forwards a licence to stay upfront in positions that keep the oppositions backs on their toes) ?

Yes, forwards can harry upfront the opposition full backs and chase things but not back as far as our 18-yard box hell no.

• I don't think Northampton caused us as many problems as other teams have, how they are so far clear shows its a very poor league this season.

• I didn't go to the game yesterday, but at AP I thought Northampton were by far and away the best team we've faced this season, the 2-3 scoreline very much flattered us that day. I think the standard in the league isn't that great, but that shouldn't distract from just how strong Northampton are. I think that we should probably take some heart from that fact that we matched them at times yesterday, despite being without a couple of our best players.

• For me the best thing that has come out of the last two games is that the team has shown that it can keep the ball on the floor and play football - if they can keep this up, there is a very good chance of having the ability to have a 'Plan B' when things aren't going our way with just one style of play.

• @wycombe85 they were nowhere near as good yesterday as at Adams Park, Richards missing wouldn't have helped but if we had of had Cowan Hall playing we would have got something from the game.

• Northampton showed they're a good League 2 side at Adams Park and (probably) worthy champions but some uncharacteristic defensive blundering was a big deciding factor in their success. Maybe I'm remembering the game through blue-tinted specs. Onwards and upwards.

• I'm with @Wycombe85. The cobbler at AP were the best side I've seen this season and we were lucky that 3 -2 made it look a bit more respectable. On the day we were comprehensively outplayed.