Skip to content

Mini Cheddars

Ed_Ed_
edited April 2022 in Not Football

Had a packet of the Red Leicester variety of Mini Cheddars over the weekend, very nice they were too., might almost become a 'must eat' in the Ed_ household. I feel that a Red Leicester variety is no longer a 'Mini Cheddar' though, perhaps 'Mini Leicester' would be more appropriate particularly as this could well be the thin end of the wedge. They might be planning Stilton or Somerset Brie varieties in the future and then where would we stand? It's a worry.

Comments

• edited April 2022

This kind of content is exactly why the Gasroom is better than Twitter

• There’s already a blue cheese flavour.

I love mini cheddars.

• It's Edam disgrace when we're in the middle of a promotion fight.

• Not gouda-t all

• I agree the red Leicester version are very nice and my current favourite of the mini cheddars

• @eric_plant said:
    Not gouda-t all

As long as we approach the subject Caerphilly it’ll be fine

• I’m going Gruyère by the minute trying to think of a pun funny enough to make a vache rit.

• Not tried them yet. The mini cheddar is the king of crisps* and the reward of a couple of post donation packs is still the main reason that I give blood.

Anyone remember the marmite ones?

*yes, they are.

• Oh no they aren’t!

• @arnos_grove said:
    Not tried them yet. The mini cheddar is the king of crisps* and the reward of a couple of post donation packs is still the main reason that I give blood.

Anyone remember the marmite ones?

*yes, they are.

They are less of a crisp than Gillingham was a must win game

• King of crisps. I’m not accepting dissent.

• They don't even pretend to be a crisp.

• A crisp is a sliced fried potato snack and before you say it wotsits and quavers are not crisps either

• Bit more of a grey area there

• Mini cracker or biscuit I would have thought.

• Savoury baked good it may be, but a mini-cheddar is no crisp.

• Mini chedders are nowhere near as far from crisps as those vegetable "crisps".

Thin end of the wedge, @Ed_,.... genius!

• @Wendoverman said:
    Savoury baked good it may be, but a mini-cheddar is no crisp.

So, there you have it from the crisp connoisseur himself. Here endeth the debate.

• Can we at least agree they are a 'must-eat' snack?

• I can’t brie-lieve that anyone would consider a mini cheddar a crisp, as delicious as they are.

Wotsits and Quavers on the other hand…

• Wotsits are made of corn. Not crisps. I think Quavers are potato-based, but they're still not exactly crisp-y.

• Doritos are pretty crisp-y

• Doritos definitely aren't crisps!

• Interestingly (!) if you Google ‘Quavers crisps’ the blurb from the Walkers site on Google says;

Walkers Quavers crisps - curly little snacks and no two are the same. Each curly crisp is crunchy, melty and pleasingly cheesy. Pick up your pack today!

Which suggests that Walkers consider them crisps. Until you click through to the site and it says:

About Quavers
    Curly little things, Quavers, and no two are the same. Some twistier, some that wrap around your tongue... But they're all crunchy and melty, and pleasingly cheesy! So, go on, pop one in your mouth.

Sounds like at some point they had a change of heart and stopped calling them crisps (or this is something to do with SEO.)

• Went to Sainsbury’s this morning and mini cheddars are in the ‘crisps and nuts’ aisle.

I think we can agree they are not nuts.

So with the greatest respect to fellow posters, I conclude that Sainsbury’s have greater experience in retailing than any of us and as such, mini cheddars are crisps.

Case closed!

• I don’t think that Sainsbury’s is qualified to judge one of the UK’s most gentrified snacks. The answer is more likely to be found in the aisles of Waitrose and M&S.

• You’re all wrong. According to the Cube Rule, mini cheddars are toast. https://cuberule.com/

• Mini Cheddars are a baked snack .

• edited April 2022

What about French Fries? Can you still get those?