Skip to content

Technical issues

You may have noticed the Gasroom creaking on its ageing knees lately. It's currently running on an old shared server that costs me very little, I'm hoping that at some point in the summer I'm going to be able to find the time to move it to a dedicated server. For now though, unfortunately, we're going to have to put up with its glitching. Sorry.

Comments

• @drcongo As and when you update, is there any chance of highlighting which page is being read of the several within a post? When playing catch up it is difficult to recall which page I am on - more of an issue on laptop than on a mobile.

• Quite relieved in a way to hear that @drcongo because I was beginning to wonder if I had a software problem. Do we need to give a bit of crowd funding support? I’m sure plenty of us would be happy to chip in (as I think people made clear when you were considering having to discontinue the service a few years ago).

• Happy to give a few quid towards the cost of this

• More than happy to contribute as needed. Thanks @drcongo for all the work keeping this community going.

• Its a great community asset and one I would be happy to contribute to.

• I'm hoping to keep it cheap enough that we don't need to worry about that.

@AlanCecil said:
    @drcongo As and when you update, is there any chance of highlighting which page is being read of the several within a post? When playing catch up it is difficult to recall which page I am on - more of an issue on laptop than on a mobile.

Do you mean clearer marking of the current page in the pagination at the top-right and bottom-right of the thread? Or the little blue line that on desktop shows you where you're up to but isn't there on mobile?

• I think a few quid from anyone willing and able would be money happily spent to keep the site going. Just stick a donation page up the top and you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how many of us want to contribute. Far better than a site littered with pop-ups. Keep up the great work.

• I’ll chuck some subs in if needed too.

Started wondering who would be the dream sponsor of the Gasroom if it ever needed one?

• Tena Man probably.

• Unfortunately I'm already owned outright by 32 Red and they're forcing me to keep the site going.

• Set up a paypal pot or similar and I'll contribute!

• @drcongo said:
    I'm hoping to keep it cheap enough that we don't need to worry about that.

@AlanCecil said:
    @drcongo As and when you update, is there any chance of highlighting which page is being read of the several within a post? When playing catch up it is difficult to recall which page I am on - more of an issue on laptop than on a mobile.

Do you mean clearer marking of the current page in the pagination at the top-right and bottom-right of the thread? Or the little blue line that on desktop shows you where you're up to but isn't there on mobile?

The former of those two - I have no idea whether I am on page 1, 2, 3 4, 5 or 6 etc

• Get me the Christmas Lights and you can put this on any old server you wish !!

• Nick Freeman.

• @AlanCecil said:
    The former of those two - I have no idea whether I am on page 1, 2, 3 4, 5 or 6 etc

Thanks, that bugs me too. It is actually a slightly different colour for the current page, but the older my eyes get the harder I find it to see.

• Same here…but I would happily check in the price of a bag of crisps or two (Adams Park price, not

• It's a bit clearer now @AlanCecil

• I've also, possibly, managed to mitigate the technical problems. We had some badly behaved bots aggressively crawling the site so I've blocked them and it feels a bit snappier now.

• There’s a noticeable speed improvement in the last 30 mins.

Thank you

• @drcongo said:
    It's a bit clearer now @AlanCecil

Much better thanks.

• It’s better now than it has been for ages. Thanks @drcongo

• Very much improved, thank you @drcongo. I'm also happy to chip in to help funding if required in future.

• So much better, thanks @drcongo :-)

• Still really slow for me, every other site is fine. Thanks for all you do though @drcongo much appreciated

• Full speed here. Top work.

• Fine for me, thanks. Still scrolls back a fair distance into threads when joining them but can certainly live with that!

• @micra thinks it “scrolls” back to the last place you read in the thread rather than joining at the end. Personally I find this a really useful feature

• That would be fine. Useful, as you say, but it’s much more rapid and random than that. I am becoming adept at popping the finger swiftly on the screen to anchor it.

• @micra said:
    Fine for me, thanks. Still scrolls back a fair distance into threads when joining them but can certainly live with that!

That happens when there are tweets embedded in the thread as they dynamically change the size of a post when they load, and unfortunately that takes longer than the site takes to scroll you to the correct position. If you enter a page with no tweets in it usually manages to scroll you to the correct point.

• How can we contribute, these pages keep me in touch. Being in darkest Yorkshire and in poor health I don’t get down as much as I want to .