Skip to content

Wycombe VS Oxford 2004

Hi guys, I am fairly new to gasroom and have a question to ask you. The game on the 3rd of September 2004 at home to Oxford was my first at Wycombe, and ever since, I have fallen in love with the club and become more and more passionate ever since. I know this is a long shot but do any of you know where I could get a programme from the day, as it is a massively memorable day for me. Willing to pay. Thanks a lot guys. Fred

Comments

• I might have one you can have. Have a load in a box at my folks place. I'll have a look next time I'm there and get back to you.

• Alright thanks a lot mate, that would be amazing!!

• Thoughts on the team around that time......did anyone ever see Russ Martin would be a premier league team captain back then? Fair play to him.

http://www.11v11.com/matches/wycombe-wanderers-v-oxford-united-03-september-2004-25279/

• Was that before or after Talia chopped his finger off in a lawnmower?

• It is weird how we have owned Oxford over the years. One for the statisticians..has any club been more successfull over a rival than Wycombe have been over headington?

• 'You are in the press box, you do not celebrate 'sniff'

• @lx Blackburn over Burnley is one I can think of.

• I can remember a few home losses to Oxford in recent times, I'm not sure our record is as good as you think.

• Gary Silk; two yellow cards in two minutes. He never did shy away from making a firm challenge, even if the ball may have gone already.

Thoughts on the team: A few good players, but Tony Adams hadn't built us a particular good one overall.

• Gary Silk is one of the worst players I have ever seen pull on the Wycombe shirt

• For many years they weren't rivals at all as we were in The Isthmian league and they, as Headington United, were in the Southern League and didn't figure in the FA Amateur Cup. It's only since both got into the Football League that it became such a big deal. I assume that it has gone that way because supporters of both teams meet up through work and residence, It does serve to increase the gate so it's a rivalry that is good for both clubs.

• I'll just leave this here ......
    1951 Some plucky non-leaguers from down the A40

• Whilst the famous Wanderers from Wycombe had already got an amateur cup winner under their belts, Headington United were still playing in the Oxfordshire senion lge till 1946. In the 1950's when we were winning league titles, and getting to Amateur cup final and semis, the PNL were very much a midtable Southern lge team, and Oxford City were very much the city's number one team. It was when some local businessmen muscled in on Headington Utd and changed the name to Oxford Utd and funded an assault on the Southern lge in 1960, did they arrive from City's shadows.
    Two back to back titles saw the PNL get elected into the Football league.

• I saw Headington United at the Old Den in the FA Cup in Dec 1953. They drew 3-3, but I think they lost the replay.

• fredk3 / Rolo I have a copy of this programme , just dug it out - fredk3 let me know if want it and where you want me to send it, I can drop it in to the club if you want? Interestingly I noticed the match was played on a Friday night, can anyone remember the reason why?

• The All Oxfordshire 'Aunt Sally' finals were being played on the Saturday, hence why all the PNL officials and supporters wanted the game moved.

• Was it televised or something? No wonder we couldn't beat them with this formation.

http://www.skysports.com/football/wycombe-vs-oxford-utd/52798

• edited February 2016

Interestingly, Silk's second booking was for encroaching. Who does that a minute after getting booked the first time?!

"Silk had been booked for a hefty challenge on Rob Wolleaston and then blatantly encroached at the resulting free-kick giving the referee no option but to produce a second yellow card."

Silly boy!

• edited February 2016

I remember that game for the wonderfully named Hubert Busby Junior playing in goal for Oxford and the fact that the sound and picture were way out of sync in the end of season video

Actually, scrub that, it was in the year 2000, also live on Sky

• I remember that Silk sending off now. We were all dumbfounded at the stupidity of having the bloke who'd just been booked responsible for closing down the free kick

• @Rolo That Sky Sports formation might have been the answer! Savage may have been more use in goal, but I'm not convinced by Talia at Centre Half.

• And Clint "one goal a season" Easton up front?

• Only one goal a season less than his strike partner.

• @Ceefax_Striker Amazing, thank you so much! How much would you like for it? And I'll pay for you to post it to my house if thats okay?

• fredk3 no problem, I don't want any money for posting, how do I get your address? I don't think we put that sort of information on this forum or e-mail addresses either etc. but I could be wrong - maybe the good Dr can advise?

• You can send a personal message via this forum guys. Nobody but the mods would see it.

• edited February 2016

@fredk3 @Ceefax_Striker There is a direct message feature on this forum, via which members may send private messages to each other.

If you're on mobile, tap on the blue square with three horizontal lines on it, then the envelope icon.

• EwanHoosaami / Uncle_T - Thanks very much for the advice

• fredk3 hopefully here is message waiting for you with my e-mail address - if I have done it right ??