Skip to content

Match day thread: Morecambe

Comments

• @thecatwwfc said:
    Here come the moans

And so they should after that

• Didn't watch today so can't comment. Shame after the last couple of weeks. But we'll go again !

• Very poor performance from us, but fair play to Morecambe they stuck to their task well and took their chances

• Just a bad day at the office, we've all had them

• Well I guess the “would you rather be in Wigans shoes or Wycombes” question has just been firmly put to bed!!

• The only thing I will say is, it kind of undoes recent good results. No point drawing with Sunderland, beating Oxford and then losing to Morecambe.

Makes it an even bigger game next week!

• Thompson wasn't himself today. A harder job without Scowen alongside him, but he didn't assert himself at all. Maybe carrying something.

• edited January 2022

What an awful performance. No sign of the slick passing and thoughtful buildup that was present in our last two games. A return to aimless long balls and struggling to keep hold of the ball when we actually did have it.

We should have stuck with the same front three as last week. Hanlan couldn’t get in the game as it was coming to him at head height and Bayo was too well marshalled to make an impact (obviously with the exception of the early goal).

It really is becoming obvious that Mehmeti doesn’t work in a CM role. This isn’t just down to him but the way we play when trying to accommodate a big striker and the rest of our best attacking players. I think someone else has already pointed out how often Wheels comes on for Mehmeti because of this.

Credit to Morecambe though. Do they just up their game against us every time we play? They really don’t look like one of the four worst teams in this league.

It’s easy to say not to get too downhearted or carried away but that’s a really bad day at the office all round. Most of the other teams winning loses us the ‘points on the board’ viewpoint.

• edited January 2022

@thecatwwfc said:
    The only thing I will say is, it kind of undoes recent good results. No point drawing with Sunderland, beating Oxford and then losing to Morecambe.

Makes it an even bigger game next week!

Really not sure it does. We haven’t lost the points from those games as far as I can see. If anything if you are going to lose, losing to a lower side is better option.

Never thought we match up that well to Morecambe and always thought today was going to be as tough as the games you mention. I wonder if those getting so angry are doing so having predicted big wins before the game. Confidence leads to a bigger fall sometimes.

Every week is a big week at the top. We are more than capable of staying up there> @Malone said:

Very disappointing after such a superb start, and then being 2-1 up too.

Clearly the combo of Vokes AND Scowen out was just too much today.
    Fingers crossed both are back asap.

I think we all know top 2 was always a stretch, but play offs are still looking exceptionally rosy.
    Decent run of games coming up the other side of MK too.

• Probably our poorest performance of the season but let’s keep things in perspective, we’re two points behind the leaders.

• It’s very easy when you’re on the receiving end of a goal to criticise the defence and not give credit to the scorer but all three we let in today were very avoidable. For the second in particular our defence were like statues. For their third Stockton had all the time in the world and whilst Stockdale got his gloves to it he should have come and stopped him getting the shot away to begin with.

• Very disappointing after such a superb start, and then being 2-1 up too.

I think we all know top 2 was always a stretch, but play offs are still looking exceptionally rosy.

• As bad as today's result and performance was, and it really was, other results make it even worse. Maybe we all understandably got a bit carried away after Oxford. Maybe some tired legs out there and a couple of additions can come in.

• Lot of games to play yet and with a few new recruits we will still be in the hunt.

• It was clear from the commentary ten minutes in that Tafazolli was struggling to cope with the 20 goal guy (?Stockton) who’s scored more than half their goals this season and other attacking players were also putting us under more or less constant pressure - hence our dreadful 20 foul count. Confess I switched off just before the 90 minutes were up.

Makes you feel ‘down’ doesn’t it.

• Just wish Stewart had lamped that ball that he miscontrolled right before their 2nd goal.
    Seemed to go generally tits up after that.

• @Malone said:
    Very disappointing after such a superb start, and then being 2-1 up too.

Any more performances like today and several of those games coming up are going to be extremely tough. Let’s hope midfield reinforcements are in the offing. Mehmeti is wasted there.

• Just not at the races today at all on a horrible pitch. We need to shore up the midfield as we are far too open (as we always are with just one in there). Thompson and Scowen every time they are available please. If not available, throw Pendlebury or Wheeler in. We need a base to play from. I know Bayo scored today (and this isn’t anything against his performance today) but we still just cannot play any other way when he’s in the side except endless long balls, and that was to the detriment of McCleary and Hanlan particularly today. Horgan should have started. It was mostly aimless long balls all day today which Morecambe lapped up. Defence was really exposed again today but actually had a really off day themselves so we were lucky to just concede 3 to be honest.

Really poor subs removed any small semblance of shape we did have and the last 20 minutes we didn’t look like scoring at all which is very Un-Wycombe like. I haven’t seen anything at all in De Barr yet although appreciate he’s a development player and it’s probably too soon. Would’ve still liked Kashket in the squad but I guess that ship has sailed long ago.

Hopefully Vokes and Scowen back next week and back to being ourselves. Play offs was always the likeliest outcome this season and nothing today has changed my mind.

• I must confess, I'm really concerned with our central defence. Tafazoli looks absolutely ponderous these days.
    Stewart getting caught the wrong side of his man too many times.
    The first 10 minutes of the second half against Sunderland, we could have conceded three, where Stewart failed to spot the runs, or track his man.
    Expect Ainsworth to bolster that department shortly.

• @Malone said:

Not sure it’s all when I am reading on here that our defensive play will ‘cost’ us automatic promotion. Sounds like they had expected it.

These results always bring out the moans and the moaners. There are a lot of different expectations for this team on here.

• It always makes me laugh. We do have some posters that only post to criticise when they get the chance. But the vast majority say it how they see it, good and bad. When we play well the comments are generally positive, when we play poorly, this is highlighted too. Today we were poor so that should be discussed. It’d be a pretty dull discussion board if we all kept quiet after a defeat or perhaps stretched to ‘hey ho, we go again’.

• I know Scowen was unavailable but to me we look so much better with him and Thompson in midfield. I have no idea (obviously) how far away Gape is from fitness but it wouldn't surprise me to see someone else if that type come in next week.

It means you then have to choose who to leave out further forward, and probably means leaving out one of Mehmeti, McCleary or Hanlan, but football has never been about just picking the 11 best players, but picking a team that works best

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

Not sure it’s all when I am reading on here that our defensive play will ‘cost’ us automatic promotion. Sounds like they had expected it.

These results always bring out the moans and the moaners. There are a lot of different expectations for this team on here.

I challenge you to find one single poster or single serious quote that expected automatic promotion.

• @Malone said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

I challenge you to find one single poster or single serious quote that expected automatic promotion.

I did. I had a bet on it

• edited January 2022

@Quarterman said:
    It always makes me laugh. We do have some posters that only post to criticise when they get the chance. But the vast majority say it how they see it, good and bad. When we play well the comments are generally positive, when we play poorly, this is highlighted too. Today we were poor so that should be discussed. It’d be a pretty dull discussion board if we all kept quiet after a defeat or perhaps stretched to ‘hey ho, we go again’.

It is an evolving situation with performances and positions in tables.
    The problem is when posters make wild declarations on players, manager and the team based on a single performance.

The gasroom is with the exception of a couple of occasional posters, pretty decent for not doing the above.
    Much better than the FB group, but then in fairness the numbers are much higher on there and fb encourages a more quick fire kneejerk reaction.

• @ChasHarps said:
    I must confess, I'm really concerned with our central defence. Tafazoli looks absolutely ponderous these days.

You’re it allowed to say that, I’ve been on the naughty step for over a month for suggesting he is flat footed, one paced and slow on the turn (oh and he is fragile). In contrast seemingly loving living in Knotty Green, having great teeth and producing fascinating YouTube continent makes him first on many fans team sheets.

• Despite the truly mediocre performance today I am not overly worried and still believe that we have what is needed to at least make the playoffs (my confidence helped by the 6 point gap to you know who & 8 point gap to PNL).

Yes we could do with an extra ball winning midfielder to support Thomo & Scowen and an experienced CB to push Stewart & Taffs, but we have, probably, the best squad we have ever had so there is loads to be optimistic about.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.