Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @micra said:
    Thanks to Martin Samuel, I (and many other Wycombe fans with friends who read the Mail) face the onerous task of attempting to explain the highly complex background to the present impasse.

The easiest reply is to suggest they stop reading the Mail.

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    I know we have a case and as I have said before, I think Rob is a very genuine guy who would happily negotiate the position but I really don’t want Derby to go bust.
    I appreciate Derby have broken the rules but the club is for the community and it is the community that will suffer if they go out of business.

I remember Bristol Rovers going after us when they got relegated and we had no money at all. We were all fearing the worst if they dragged us through a legal challenge that would cost a fortune at a time when we couldn’t afford it.

So although I know Rob, on behalf of our great club, is within his rights to pursue this action but I would personally prefer that we stepped back and withdrew our claim.

I do agree with all that, but I've changed a bit from the beginning of the week, I don't see why we have to drop it totally if our claim is found fair. I can't see why we can't say to Derby, we know your in trouble now so we'll hold of until you are in a better place and back on your feet, then if it's agreed we are owed money we'll do a deal then

I was mostly undecided at the start of all this but I have become increasingly hardened towards, if our claim is fair, it MUST continue.

Not for Wycombe wanderers to “profit from” ( I made a half joking suggestion earlier in the thread about a £1 settlement) but more of a real threat to clubs who think they can cheat all the other teams around them - they cheated all of the other 71 teams not just us - and get away with it.

And for me if that means clubs leave themselves open to financial claims against them by all clubs off of the back of systematic cheating, then so be it.

• It might serve as a good illustration to those friends of Micra as to how unreliable the Daily Mail is for journalism. If they can't get the sport right which should be less partisan, what hope accurate political reporting.
    And is the explanation that difficult? Derby broke the rules, got found out and can't meet their debts. Disputes with Wycombe and Middlesboro are simply a distraction/smokescreen for bigger debts including HMRC and lack of assets.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

This bears reposting once a year or so

• @micra said:
    Thanks to Martin Samuel, I (and many other Wycombe fans with friends who read the Mail) face the onerous task of attempting to explain the ighly complex background to the present impasse.

@micra - This thread is much better than the Daily Mail on the subject - it does indeed attempt debate - you could point them at this. I would guess that @drcongo will not mind registering @friendofmicra1, @friendofmicra2 ..... in a good cause.

• Saw a segment on Sky Sports News this morning suggesting that the US bud is significantly less than the Ashley bid because it is made in light of the potential liabilities to WWFC and Middlesborough (Rob Couhig’s comtinued inability to pronounce the s in their name is a welcome ray of sunshine in this whole bleak affair btw). From a WWFC perspective I reckon that the best outcome would be for that bid to succeed and then the merits of ours and the slightly more dubious merits of the Middlesborough cases can undergo due process and ultimately be resolved. Assuming HMRC and the other creditors have been satisfied, it’s then up to the EFL whether they vsee such a solution as having breached their regulations on exiting administration without having cleared all their football liabilities. Mr Couhig in suggesting that bidders who see the claim as spurious can therefore bid in confidence would presumably be content with this and for me it would give us a realistic chance of not only winning the argument but actually receiving restitution.

• @Lloyd2084 said:

@micra said:
    Thanks to Martin Samuel, I (and many other Wycombe fans with friends who read the Mail) face the onerous task of attempting to explain the highly complex background to the present impasse.

I would also point out that he refers to FFP as ambition tax. So in the same article as he weeps for a systematic cheat he mocks the very system that protects clubs from following Derby’s example. In other words he’s a clown

• I wonder how long it will be before we hear that the potential purchaser will only proceed if/when both the Middle(s)borough and Wycombe claims are dropped.

• @HomerLone said:
    I wonder how long it will be before we hear that the potential purchaser will only proceed if/when both the Middle(s)borough and Wycombe claims are dropped.

It's already being heavily suggested. I wonder if HMRC are expected to get out of the way to protect Wayne Rooney's income too. Maybe all the other creditors too, and they could have their deducted points back. Wouldn't want them to suffer any inconvenience at all.

• edited January 2022

Forest fans sprinkling a few fake bank notes onto the away fans

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Forest fans sprinkling a few fake bank notes onto the away fans

Normally I'd say that was lacking in class, but not as much as cheating is.

• Thanks, guys, for all the good advice.

As if we haven’t had enough cause to be irritated by instances of ignorance, misrepresentation etc, we now have Sky pundits eulogising the the Derby manager for his masterly efforts in motivating his playing squad - a squad which should be without several more players in addition to Shinnie and Jagielka if the Administrators were doing their job.

• Football Focus doing Derby next week. Let's hope they are not lazy and put the boot into us rather than tax dodging bosses!

• I think you are being somewhat harsh with Mr Rooney @micra.

When he was appointed by Derby I thought it was just a publicity stunt and that he would make a right balls up of it. I didn't think he had the right character or determination to be a good manager. He has surprised me with his ability to motivate the team and play decent football despite everything going on around him and the points deduction.

I accept that he is earning silly money, but if he miraculously kept Derby up in the circumstances it would be well earned. He could prove to be a very good manager with a decent non cheating club.

Remember he does have a soft side as when he shelled out £75k to NSPCC the Christmas before last.

• Rooney has been donating to the elderly for years !!!

• Sleepy Wayne

• I think Rooney is doing an excellent job considering all the issues at the club. Yes he is paid a lot of money but he as focused on the next match day and to be fair he could have easily walked away and no one would have blamed him at all.
    Plus he is winning even though they have Allsopp in goal.

• I saw someone say bet Rooney isn't paying for equipment etc as Gareth did for us years back.
    It turns out he's doing exactly that.

He's certainly no villain in what is a pretty difficult situation.

• I see a lot of comments about communities and livelihoods but what about us. What about our players and staff who may have had relegation wage reductions written into their contracts. What about our staffing level - presumably we would have needed more staff (especially on match days) had we remained in the second tier, which would have given a boost to the local community. Thank goodness relegation didn’t spark a downward spiral, Yeovil style, else Derby cheating could have had serious consequences for us.

• @Malone said:
    I saw someone say bet Rooney isn't paying for equipment etc as Gareth did for us years back.
    It turns out he's doing exactly that.

He's certainly no villain in what is a pretty difficult situation.

Fair enough, Rooney and the players are just about the only people doing their job at that club.... That includes the fans

• @mooneyman said:
    I think you are being somewhat harsh with Mr Rooney @micra.

When he was appointed by Derby I thought it was just a publicity stunt and that he would make a right balls up of it. I didn't think he had the right character or determination to be a good manager. He has surprised me with his ability to motivate the team and play decent football despite everything going on around him and the points deduction.

I accept that he is earning silly money, but if he miraculously kept Derby up in the circumstances it would be well earned. He could prove to be a very good manager with a decent non cheating club.

Remember he does have a soft side as when he shelled out £75k to NSPCC the Christmas before last.

My irritation wasn’t with Róoney. He’s doing a terrific job. It was the gloating by Steve Wally the Brolly (can’t think of his surname) about what a wonderful job he’s doing (as he is) and how he can keep them in the Championship, when they shouldn’t be there in the first place.

• See Mel Morris is the ref at Morecambe

• Be …..Gotcha. Penny dropped as I heard the actual name in my head and managed to stop myself!

• I really don't understand what is stopping these "very willing" parties trying to take over DCFC if our claims are so obviously not going to succeed? I'm no legal expert but think of myself as someone that reads between the lines fairly well & these "other parties" clearly think there is some merit to our claim as they wouldn't be so hesitant.
    As for some gas roomers saying we should stand on a moral lectern here and back away, would you if you were owed a vast sum of monies?
    Like many others, I have no desire to see DCFC go bust, but if it is at our expense . . . ?
    Alternatively, are those same people willing to write out the cheque for the claim, so that we can then do the honourable deed?

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    I really don't understand what is stopping these "very willing" parties trying to take over DCFC if our claims are so obviously not going to succeed? I'm no legal expert but think of myself as someone that reads between the lines fairly well & these "other parties" clearly think there is some merit to our claim as they wouldn't be so hesitant.
    As for some gas roomers saying we should stand on a moral lectern here and back away, would you if you were owed a vast sum of monies?
    Like many others, I have no desire to see DCFC go bust, but if it is at our expense . . . ?
    Alternatively, are those same people willing to write out the cheque for the claim, so that we can then do the honourable deed?

It reminds me a little of people calling bailiffs and the likes "scum", yet if they were the ones seeking the money owed, their opinion may well change.

• @Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:
    I really don't understand what is stopping these "very willing" parties trying to take over DCFC if our claims are so obviously not going to succeed? I'm no legal expert but think of myself as someone that reads between the lines fairly well & these "other parties" clearly think there is some merit to our claim as they wouldn't be so hesitant.

It reminds me a little of people calling bailiffs and the likes "scum", yet if they were the ones seeking the money owed, their opinion may well change.

Exactly.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Malone said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

Exactly.

Lots of sympathy for people trying to feed their kids in tough times, less so for those who might have to watch their team play in a division lower or have a player sold. Imagine being in L 1 or 2 and have players leave, must be terrible.

• Sunderland supporters have had to put up with watching their team play in a shit league for 4 seasons, so why not Derby supporters!

• but its a bid that won't even cover the HMRC bill!