Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Even Michael Fabric-head is having a go at us for something now

WW actually stands for William Wragg I know it’s childish but how did anyone called Willy Rag make it through primary school in this country

• @drcongo said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    How do we really feel about this? I understand justice should be done, and terrible owners can't consistently leverage their club and assets for the prospect of a pay-day promotion, and perhaps an example needs to be made.

Just curious how we feel about inevitably being the face of a huge portion of blame should they fold? Is it worth seeing the club go under for this?

Genuinely, what do you think?

Was 64 pages of everyone saying what they think not enough for you?!

That did make me chuckle, I was thinking the same thing

"Hey guys, what does everyone think about the Derby situation?"

• @prufrock_91 said:

@Glenactico said:
    Has anyone got a link to this radio Derby thing (sorry if I’ve missed it earlier)?

It's here from about 29mins - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bf7nz6

Ta

• Kieron from Price Of Football is joining Colin Murray again tonight to discuss the latest batch of statements. It’ll be interesting to hear their view on Gibson’s statement. BBC Radio 5 from 11 I believe.

• Very good interview. I suspect smarter Derby supporters will realise that Rob’s argument is credible. But it isn’t in their interest to voice that.

Much better to let gobby plonkers make an emotive case casting us as the bad guys.

The argument that Derby will cease to exist is BS - the only thing that really makes a club is the supporters. You can change players, owners, league, club, stadium etc. As long as the fans are there, the club exists. If they end up reforming in a field then it’s still Derby, just much lower down the pyramid.

• @TheDancingYak said:
    Having spent time to digest it, I think this is my favourite passage in the Derby Admins letter:

“As we have seen from statements issued by others, sometimes these can be misinterpreted and prompt further questions. We are in receipt of a substantial number of messages from supporters, containing questions and supportive comments. We have prioritised our time to focus on the key matters at hand“

Focusing on the key matters by mentioning the amount of letters you have received when that has absolutely nothing to do with what your actual day job is or trying to clarify any of the statements made by others.

gg

But when you charge by the hour then an hour or two spent reading supporters’ messages could be financially profitable. What a lovely way to make money, equivalent to being paid by the hour to read the Gasroom.

• @eric_plant said:

@drcongo said:

@prufrock_91 said:
    How do we really feel about this? I understand justice should be done, and terrible owners can't consistently leverage their club and assets for the prospect of a pay-day promotion, and perhaps an example needs to be made.

Just curious how we feel about inevitably being the face of a huge portion of blame should they fold? Is it worth seeing the club go under for this?

That did make me chuckle, I was thinking the same thing

"Hey guys, what does everyone think about the Derby situation?"

Derby situation?

• @Glenactico said:
    Very good interview. I suspect smarter Derby supporters will realise that Rob’s argument is credible. But it isn’t in their interest to voice that.

Much better to let gobby plonkers make an emotive case casting us as the bad guys.

The argument that Derby will cease to exist is BS - the only thing that really makes a club is the supporters. You can change players, owners, league, club, stadium etc. As long as the fans are there, the club exists. If they end up reforming in a field then it’s still Derby, just much lower down the pyramid.

And it would suit their nickname to reform in a field!

• @Glenactico said:
    Very good interview. I suspect smarter Derby supporters will realise that Rob’s argument is credible. But it isn’t in their interest to voice that.

I agree wholeheartedly, they will spend a few years sampling the delights of playing teams like Marine, Tamworth, and Southport and then reenter the league with a massive chip on their shoulders that’s all.

• @Malone said:

@aloysius said:

@arnos_grove said:
    It’s all become totally emotional. It’s much easier to rage at Rob Couhig and Steve Gibson than the faceless HMRC.

This is exactly it. My prediction is that Steve Gibson will withdraw soon, leaving Rob Couhig as the only enemy in town. And how long then before a bunch of Derby fans decide to buy tickets to the Wycombe terrace at some random home match and start some trouble?

I doubt Mr Couhig will be minded to take my advice. But nonetheless it is this: Be the bigger man. Make a statement now that you have made your point, highlighted the iniquity in the system and the corruption within Derby but you don't want to see the club fold so for the good of all are withdrawing your claim. Then turn your guns on the EFL and try to affect change in the rules and regulations, bringing supporters and owners of all the other properly run clubs with you. From villain to hero in one easy step.

Minus 15. All time gasroom record?

It’s such nonsense I was tempted to buy another laptop in order to downvote it again

• edited January 2022

@drcongo said:

@prufrock_91 said:

I may be wrong - there's a first time for everything - but I read Prufrock's message as inviting me to consider the existential state that contains an enhanced dislike from those around us for our actions here rather than to discuss whether or not that dislike might be warranted.

It's an interesting question, to me at least, to explore the impact that a diminished public standing would have on one and is perhaps a correct analysis of the reasons why the administrators are taking the PR route that they are doing. Public image matters to all of us, doesn't it. The idea that it may be affected by our actions causes us to moderate our behaviour. By introducing the possibility of reputation damage to us, they are trying to get us to change our behaviour towards Derby. I don't suggest that is being done consciously but it is what is happening, at least as I see it here.

So, as I say, I may be misunderstanding the intended point but I find it an interesting point to consider and, as usual, I don't know what I think but am grateful to have had the thoughts anyway.

• I'm not standing up for @aloysius but I did read yesterday that apparently Derby fans have been phoning up Middlesbrough ticket office sending death threats and trying to buy tickets so they can get into the ground to cause trouble

• Our match away at Burton on the last day of the season could be key to where we finish in the League.

I am not liking the idea of this game being so close to Derby

• @HolmerBlue said:
    I'm not standing up for @aloysius but I did read yesterday that apparently Derby fans have been phoning up Middlesbrough ticket office sending death threats and trying to buy tickets so they can get into the ground to cause trouble

They wouldn’t do that would they? Not to the ‘football family’?

• Our diminished public standing isn't helped by the likes of the Martin Samuel article in the Mail today. I've never seen such a load of utter nonsensical sh*t written about us. How does that man still have a job?

• @WanderingDays said:
    Our diminished public standing isn't helped by the likes of the Martin Samuel article in the Mail today. I've never seen such a load of utter nonsensical sh*t written about us. How does that man still have a job?

I think you are correct in it being a load of sh*t, with little or no reference to any facts. However, when have facts ever been a primary concern of journalists.

• @WanderingDays said:
    Our diminished public standing isn't helped by the likes of the Martin Samuel article in the Mail today. I've never seen such a load of utter nonsensical sh*t written about us. How does that man still have a job?

It's the Daily Mail, anyone reading that and giving it more credence than the Beano isn't worth wasting your time on

• @HomerLone said:

@WanderingDays said:

I think you are correct in it being a load of sh*t, with little or no reference to any facts. However, when have facts ever been a primary concern of journalists.

Applicable here but a bit of a harsh generalisation

• That point about the "3.7 point game" that he obviously thinks is so clever is about the stupidest thing ever committed to print

• @eric_plant said:
    That point about the "3.7 point game" that he obviously thinks is so clever is about the stupidest thing ever committed to print

I really don’t understand how he thinks PPG worked.

• edited January 2022

If the Middlesbrough and Wycombe claims are such big obstacles to getting a takeover deal completed, why were the Administrators not communicating with the respective clubs to get those matters resolved?

Am I right in thinking that if the Administrator considers the claims to be groundless that they can be rejected?

• Derby at home in the 3rd round of the FA cup next season would be interesting. ?

• edited January 2022

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    Derby at home in the 3rd round of the FA cup next season would be interesting. ?

Especially if they’ve made it all the way through from the Preliminary Rounds.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    Derby at home in the 3rd round of the FA cup next season would be interesting. ?

They won't get past the first round though

• @WanderingDays said:

What a ridiculous article. He contradicts himself by talking about fantasy football and then saying the game in hand was 3.7 points? What a cretin.

It still amazes me that Rotherham seem to get no grief at all about their automatic promotion, given the run of form they were on!

• @NiceCarrots said:
    I know I'm very, very late for the party but I cannot stress enough how vital it is to listen to the BBC Radio Derby interview, fascinating to hear Mr. Couhig's point of view.

Having listened to the interview, I agree that it's fascinating and I find myself even more firmly behind RC and his principals. Do you have a perspective on this @NiceCarrots?

• Hello,

I think two things:

a) We've come a long way from a Trust Board of Directors unanimously recommending we sell to known criminals, a google search covered the due diligence.

When I asked a Director why hadn't anybody Googled them, he said, "Good question."

Those who spoke out against this and other nasties who spoke truth to power were binned as they didn't fit in with the "F.I.O.F.O" policy.

b) Sorry are you still there?

Having listened to the interview - gripping and compelling by the way - I do not believe anybody can improve on what Mr. Couhig has articulated.

Also impressed by his homework (he'd done his research on the interviewer's previous interviews on the topic) and eloquent, like Robert Emmet.

• Now we have a free day on 5 Feb, we could arrange a nice friendly game at a full Pride Park, all proceeds to the WWFC claim. Shame it's after Feb 1, it could've worked out quite well. Lots of friendly handshakes, good luck in the Southern League Division One Central, see you in a decade or so, that kind of thing. Good for Derby fans' morale, and a nice little story for the Daily Mail...

• I've only just had a chance to listen to the Rob Couhig interview, and it's magnificent. Given that it was pre-recorded it's amazing that the interviewer agreed to air it given the thorough dragging he got and how inept his interviewing was.

• Known Criminals? I must have missed this first time round.