Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• @StrongestTeam said:

@StrongestTeam said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    Should also be linked that as well as Derbys Admins and Steve Gibson’s letters, the EFL has released a statement too.

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/january/derby-county-update/

Also very good given their limits

The replies on twitter are something else. Deluded.

To be fair, they are in either the first or second stages of grief. Denial and anger.

They are just pointing it in the wrong direction.

• Hats off to Steve Gibson, that's a superb letter.

• @TheDancingYak said:
    https://www.mfc.co.uk/news/an-open-letter-from-steve-gibson-to-the-joint-administrators-of-derby-county-fc

Open letter to derbys admin from Gibson.

In the style of Harry hill, there’s only one way to solve this……FIGHT!

That letter is pretty damning. Will be interested to see if they response - my prediction is they won't as by doing so some of the truth will have to come out

• I would say the EFL statement is pretty well aimed at the Administrator for failing to do bugger all other than collect their fees.

• Yeah, I'm much more impressed with this one than the last one.

• @aloysius said:

@arnos_grove said:
    It’s all become totally emotional. It’s much easier to rage at Rob Couhig and Steve Gibson than the faceless HMRC.

This is exactly it. My prediction is that Steve Gibson will withdraw soon, leaving Rob Couhig as the only enemy in town. And how long then before a bunch of Derby fans decide to buy tickets to the Wycombe terrace at some random home match and start some trouble?

I doubt Mr Couhig will be minded to take my advice. But nonetheless it is this: Be the bigger man. Make a statement now that you have made your point, highlighted the iniquity in the system and the corruption within Derby but you don't want to see the club fold so for the good of all are withdrawing your claim. Then turn your guns on the EFL and try to affect change in the rules and regulations, bringing supporters and owners of all the other properly run clubs with you. From villain to hero in one easy step.

Minus 15. All time gasroom record?

• @Malone said:

@aloysius said:

@arnos_grove said:
    It’s all become totally emotional. It’s much easier to rage at Rob Couhig and Steve Gibson than the faceless HMRC.

This is exactly it. My prediction is that Steve Gibson will withdraw soon, leaving Rob Couhig as the only enemy in town. And how long then before a bunch of Derby fans decide to buy tickets to the Wycombe terrace at some random home match and start some trouble?

I doubt Mr Couhig will be minded to take my advice. But nonetheless it is this: Be the bigger man. Make a statement now that you have made your point, highlighted the iniquity in the system and the corruption within Derby but you don't want to see the club fold so for the good of all are withdrawing your claim. Then turn your guns on the EFL and try to affect change in the rules and regulations, bringing supporters and owners of all the other properly run clubs with you. From villain to hero in one easy step.

He had at least -18 the other day

• I think the all-time low might be that diabolical post questioning whether Bloomfield would be committed enough if starting against Ipswich

• @Erroll_Sims said:

I hear on the grapevine that none of the big insolvency practitioners was prepared to touch DCFC with a barge pole as the likelihood of it wnding in liquidation was too high due to lack of saleable (non-footballing) assets to cover costs etc.

And that in a nutshell is the truth. Without a ground included what is there left other than a massive pile of debt with a large fixed cost base until at least the end of the season.
    The entire reason why MM (and he has admitted to this) delayed things so that they were in the Championship this season for one final bite of the cherry

• What I don't get is why are the EFL bothering to engage with MPs on this issue. It is purely a dispute between a very badly run business, its regulator/71 other football clubs/businesses. DCFC are part of the "72" club and as such it has sod all to do with MPs trying to influence the governing bodies & private prosecutions.

• @EwanHoosaami. MPs have a duty to represent their constituents and the interests of their areas. As they have made statements in Parliament on the issue, I think it is better that they are presented a clear view of what is happening, rather than the Derby-centric view.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    What I don't get is why are the EFL bothering to engage with MPs on this issue. It is purely a dispute between a very badly run business, its regulator/71 other football clubs/businesses. DCFC are part of the "72" club and as such it has sod all to do with MPs trying to influence the governing bodies & private prosecutions.

I think the MPs are representing fans as the administrators and MM aren't telling them anything. Probably commendable tbh.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    What I don't get is why are the EFL bothering to engage with MPs on this issue. It is purely a dispute between a very badly run business, its regulator/71 other football clubs/businesses. DCFC are part of the "72" club and as such it has sod all to do with MPs trying to influence the governing bodies & private prosecutions.

Likely just PR

• @Malone said:

@aloysius said:

@arnos_grove said:

I thought Rob C was always the only enemy in town for @aloysius

• Having spent time to digest it, I think this is my favourite passage in the Derby Admins letter:

“As we have seen from statements issued by others, sometimes these can be misinterpreted and prompt further questions. We are in receipt of a substantial number of messages from supporters, containing questions and supportive comments. We have prioritised our time to focus on the key matters at hand“

Focusing on the key matters by mentioning the amount of letters you have received when that has absolutely nothing to do with what your actual day job is or trying to clarify any of the statements made by others.

gg

• @EwanHoosaami said:

MPS like to pretend they understand the fears of the lower orders and like getting their mugs in the papers. Also it's easy to pipe up as it is not like it's an important issue to them (like poverty, corruption, taxes, food banks, energy costs) that they might make a hash of responding to and bugger up their knighthood chances. The EFL will feel they have to respond.

• edited January 2022

@Wendoverman said:

@EwanHoosaami said:

MPS like to pretend they understand the fears of the lower orders and like getting their mugs in the papers. Also it's easy to pipe up as it is not like it's an important issue to them (like poverty, corruption, taxes, food banks, energy costs) that they might make a hash of responding to and bugger up their knighthood chances. The EFL will feel they have to respond.

Exactly, it could easily affect future government intervention, but not current or historical cases

• I know I'm very, very late for the party but I cannot stress enough how vital it is to listen to the BBC Radio Derby interview, fascinating to hear Mr. Couhig's point of view.

• How do we really feel about this? I understand justice should be done, and terrible owners can't consistently leverage their club and assets for the prospect of a pay-day promotion, and perhaps an example needs to be made.

Just curious how we feel about inevitably being the face of a huge portion of blame should they fold? Is it worth seeing the club go under for this?

Genuinely, what do you think?

• Why do people keep throwing blame our way?
    They're the ones who have massively cheated, that owner bloke is the one who won't relinquish the stadium to pay everything off and for some reason they aren't being made to use their very highly valued assets, ie players to pay their bills.

How is anything our fault in that circumstance?

• @prufrock_91 said:
    How do we really feel about this? I understand justice should be done, and terrible owners can't consistently leverage their club and assets for the prospect of a pay-day promotion, and perhaps an example needs to be made.

Just curious how we feel about inevitably being the face of a huge portion of blame should they fold? Is it worth seeing the club go under for this?

1) Derby aren’t going to fold
    2) it wouldn’t be our fault if they did.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    How do we really feel about this? I understand justice should be done, and terrible owners can't consistently leverage their club and assets for the prospect of a pay-day promotion, and perhaps an example needs to be made.

Was 64 pages of everyone saying what they think not enough for you?!

• a friendly place, as ever

• Wasn’t meant to be unfriendly, sorry. Just wondering what you’re actually asking that hasn’t been answered over the previous several hundred posts.

• If we go up, I almost want Derby to stay up, as those games would be feisty.

Almost.

• @prufrock_91 said:

Genuinely I think the protests about us and boro being the bad guys forcing Derby out of business is a massive smokescreen.

Derby are a club with no ground, limited assets and players who’s valuation is dropping by the second abs saddled with loads of debt - even if you don’t include our claims - and will run out of money by Feb.

Their administrators are claiming the EFL have imposed a deadline on them when A: the only way they can now raise funds is selling players and the transfer window ends and B: they said themselves that’s when the money will run out.

They are full of crap. And they are in crap. They know it and they are trying everything they can to put the blame on outside influences so they get the chance to do the same to the next club/business that appoints them.

• Barnsley are ruining the perfect situation of Peterboro, Reading and Derby all going down.

• @Shev said:
    If we go up, I almost want Derby to stay up, as those games would be feisty.

Almost.

Peterborough, Derby, Reading. All torn on who we want down and who we want a scuffle against.

• Has anyone got a link to this radio Derby thing (sorry if I’ve missed it earlier)?

• @Glenactico said:
    Has anyone got a link to this radio Derby thing (sorry if I’ve missed it earlier)?

It's here from about 29mins - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0bf7nz6