Skip to content

Berks & Bucks Cup 2122

Comments

• Great to see the Long Crendon players celebrating. Do they play all their home games at Thame? I’d imagine an away tie with us in the next ground is what they’re hoping for.

• @floyd, they play league games at Oxford City but B&B games, so far, at Thame, which would be a good venue for us. I can't remember if the EFL teams are seeded and always play away in next round.

• The ASM Stadium is a lovely place to watch football, although it's a shame they had to leave Windmill Road, i always enjoyed going there.

I'm assuming grading issues are keeping Long Crendon from playing at their own ground?

• Yes, Long Crendon announced this in October 2018, so it has become more than temporary.

Long Crendon New Home Ground At Oxford City

We are thrilled to announce that, with immediate effect, we have entered into an agreement to play our home fixtures at Oxford City Stadium. Huge thanks to all at City who have worked with us closely to make this possible, alongside our own hard working committee.

Naturally, we are a bit sad to leave our “home” ground, but with a Step 6 compliant ground unlikely in Crendon in the short term, we are very grateful to OCFC for this opportunity. We look forward to hosting all opponents in our new surroundings from this Saturday.

• I read further that they plan to build a new sports facility, with an artificial pitch, in Long Crendon. The timescale was three years from 2018, I don't know where that got to, no doubt delayed by Covid.

• Shame if we drew them at Long Crendon, it couldn't be played at their traditional home. Big crowd on a roped off pitch, gives a great atmosphere. I've seen us play at Burnham,Didcot and Buckingam in the B&B with very basic facilities. Would pump money into Long Crendon and a chance for Wanderers fans to do a Tomaz Tikov, and sup in those wonderful thatched roof hostelries in Crendon.

• Yes I remember being humbled 5-3 by burnham in the B&B in the 80s. At that time they shared their ground with the cricket club. Remember standing on boards that have been set up around the pitch watching the game.

• We pla> @Mr67 said:

Yes I remember being humbled 5-3 by burnham in the B&B in the 80s. At that time they shared their ground with the cricket club. Remember standing on boards that have been set up around the pitch watching the game.

We played in yellow that day, they had a nippy striker called Ian Alleyne up front.
    Very disappointing performance by the Wanderers.

• Yes indeed. Not our finest hour

• We’ve been drawn away to Long Crendon in the quarter finals.

Other ties are
    Chesham United v Reading
    Beaconsfield Town v MK Dons
    Didcot Town v Ascot United or Thatcham Town

• @floyd said:
    We’ve been drawn away to Long Crendon in the quarter finals.

This will be a great night out, I guess at Oxford City?

• @perfidious_albion said:

@floyd said:
    We’ve been drawn away to Long Crendon in the quarter finals.

This will be a great night out, I guess at Oxford City?

They played the last round at Thame so I don’t know. It’s a real shame we can’t play it there.

• Bit of a gimme for Chesham that

• Ties to be completed by 28 February. Ironic that we were speculating on playing them. We await confirmation of date and venue, hopefully on the grass at Thame.

• Perfect draw for me if it's played Oxford City. Be interesting to see what kind of team we put out - will our players out on loan be eligible for this?

• edited January 2022

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Perfect draw for me if it's played Oxford City. Be interesting to see what kind of team we put out - will our players out on loan be eligible for this?

If our sports scientist was eligible last time, I would assume so! I'll go in goal if need be.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Perfect draw for me if it's played Oxford City. Be interesting to see what kind of team we put out - will our players out on loan be eligible for this?

Everyone apart from Andy and Anthony Trialist I guess.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:

Perhaps Rob C could don the keepers jersey if he's over here that week!

• Anyone wanting a game on our spare Sat 5 Feb, Long Crendon are at home to Northampton Sileby Rangers in the league, at Oxford City's ground. That is currently sixth v fifth in Spartan Div One.

• Anyone know why Long Crendon played their B+B cup game at Thame while playing other games at Oxford. Is there a rule saying B&B games have to be played in B or B and not in O?

• Thame is in Oxon as well !!

• Oxford City played at home on Tuesday, beating Easington Sports 4-1 in the Oxon Senior Cup. It looks like a fixture clash has been the reason for playing at Thame, which is also in Oxon.

• No, that's not right! Long Crendon played on Wednesday this week, so no fixture clash, unless something else was going on that evening at Oxford City.

• Comp rules

15 (A) All matches shall be played within the boundaries of the County Association of Berks & Bucks unless
    there are exceptional circumstances which have been approved by the Management Committee.

Not sure if this is relevant to why they played at Thame which is at least close to Bucks!

• Didcot,Henley and Abingdon are all in Oxon and play in the B&B.
    So this rule is pretty much ignored.

• Is this the first time we’ve played them?

• edited January 2022

Gasman says so, I don't know for sure if there isn't an obscure friendly lurking in history.

• edited January 2022

@Steve_Peart said:
    Gasman says so, I don't know for sure if there isn't an obscure friendly lurking in history.

If Gasman says it i believe it.

• @ChasHarps said:
    Didcot,Henley and Abingdon are all in Oxon and play in the B&B.
    So this rule is pretty much ignored.

This all related to the 1974 local government reorganisation where towns moved counties but some football clubs didn't - so Didcot is in Oxon but Didcot Town are a B&B club. I believe that means that Didcot's ground is therefore with in the boundaries of the B&B FA but not the legal counties. Complicated.

As far as I know Thame was never in Bucks (??) but whether somehow its ground is within B&B limits making it eligible to stage B+B games or whether there is some other reason that the B&B committee approved playing at Thame but not Oxford or whether that was just down to fixture congestion/pitch condition/terms of deal between Long Crendon and Oxford reasons I dont know. I guess some clue will come from where the next round is played!