Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• Hand of Gaz vs Col U, but that barely made up for Fraser Stretton letting play go on until almost the following Monday so he could give them a pen in 1999.

• @HomerLone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I think Peterborough will stay up as the wheels have well and truly come off at Reading

Paunovic must be hanging on by the thinnest of threads. When he goes, as go he surely must, let's hope they don't look for a replacement who just happens to live a short bike ride from their training ground.

There’s been some back and forth arguments on Twitter between Reading fans and GMac about this.

No way would Ainsworth go to Reading though. Proper basket case of a club right now.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I think Peterborough will stay up as the wheels have well and truly come off at Reading

Imagine the stick Posh fans will get if their team stays up only because two other teams got points deductions. ?

• @Gary said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Imagine the stick Posh fans will get if their team stays up only because two other teams got points deductions. ?

I've no doubt they will feel that it would be entirely justified, given the shabby way they have been treated in the past two seasons.

• @Gary said:

@HomerLone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Paunovic must be hanging on by the thinnest of threads. When he goes, as go he surely must, let's hope they don't look for a replacement who just happens to live a short bike ride from their training ground.

There’s been some back and forth arguments on Twitter between Reading fans and GMac about this.

No way would Ainsworth go to Reading though. Proper basket case of a club right now.

Reading were clearly a basket case the last time Ainsworth's name was bandied around when the previous manager had their 15 minutes of fame. They've descended a few more circles in Dante's football finance inferno since then.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    Hand of Gaz vs Col U, but that barely made up for Fraser Stretton letting play go on until almost the following Monday so he could give them a pen in 1999.

Always thought he'd be the worst referee we would ever come across until we met Mr Prosser

• The plight of Derby County featured on the Today Programme today, so it's starting to get real cut-through outside of one city / general EFL fans.

The various supporters groups have decided to crowd-fund to keep the club alive long enough to last to the end of the season, giving the administrators time to deal with Middlesbrough and Wycombe's claims.

Whatever the reason for lodging this claim, do we really want to be in a position where ordinary fans facing a cost of living crisis are reaching into their pockets so that, in effect, administrators can find money to pay Wycombe? Surely there can't be too many on this board comfortable with that?

• @aloysius said:
    The plight of Derby County featured on the Today Programme today, so it's starting to get real cut-through outside of one city / general EFL fans.

The various supporters groups have decided to crowd-fund to keep the club alive long enough to last to the end of the season, giving the administrators time to deal with Middlesbrough and Wycombe's claims.

Whatever the reason for lodging this claim, do we really want to be in a position where ordinary fans facing a cost of living crisis are reaching into their pockets so that, in effect, administrators can find money to pay Wycombe? Surely there can't be too many on this board comfortable with that?

As Rob rightly pointed out in his interview, the idea that Middlesbrough and Wycombe are the only things standing in the way of the administrators is an assertion without merit. There's no deal worked out with HMRC, there's no deal worked out with the other football creditors, there's not even a proposal for Wycombe to consider. No talk of payment plans, or arbitration, or negotiations, or compromises. The idea that the administrators just need more time to work on these claims when they haven't engaged with Middlesbrough for months, and have had one meeting with Rob, is farcical.

• @aloysius said:
    The plight of Derby County featured on the Today Programme today, so it's starting to get real cut-through outside of one city / general EFL fans.

Do you genuinely believe that their fans can crowdfund the rest of the season? I hope you realise that's likely to be >£5m required just to finish the season - let alone exist after it.

• Gosh what a awful cretin that guy from BBC Radio Derby interviewing Rob is. Absolute novice when trying to prop up a completely made up narrative. Anyone feeling that we are remotely responsible for this situation needs their heads examining. I love the victim blaming at us from Derby, who clearly knew exactly what they were doing.

• @aloysius said:

No, They should sell the players they couldn't afford in the first place. This will raise funds and cut outgoings. Not just one or two on the fringe for PR either.

• In all this fiasco about Derby, all we hear is “ it’s about football” they can’t be allowed to fold. Let’s forget football for a minute, I payed my taxes when employed and the same now running a company, I pay my suppliers on time. Derby owe millions to local small companies and millions to you and me via HMRC.
    Getting MPs involved is ridiculous, they should not be helping someone who is cheating all of us by not paying taxes due.
    Several “small” clubs have folded and risen again, maybe we need to let this run it’s course, if Derby fold it might be the lesson that football as a whole needs.

• @yorkyblue said:
    In all this fiasco about Derby, all we hear is “ it’s about football” they can’t be allowed to fold. Let’s forget football for a minute, I payed my taxes when employed and the same now running a company, I pay my suppliers on time. Derby owe millions to local small companies and millions to you and me via HMRC.
    Getting MPs involved is ridiculous, they should not be helping someone who is cheating all of us by not paying taxes due.
    Several “small” clubs have folded and risen again, maybe we need to let this run it’s course, if Derby fold it might be the lesson that football as a whole needs.

Amen

• @yorkyblue said:
    In all this fiasco about Derby, all we hear is “ it’s about football” they can’t be allowed to fold. Let’s forget football for a minute, I payed my taxes when employed and the same now running a company, I pay my suppliers on time. Derby owe millions to local small companies and millions to you and me via HMRC.

I'm all for MPs or anyone else helping facilitate conversations, attract investors , give advice etc but shouting at the league to sort out something they have little or no influence over won't get them far.

• Wayne has DEFERRED some of his 90k a week wages. Instead of cutting the wages of the tea ladies maybe go for low hanging fruit.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Wayne has DEFERRED some of his 90k a week wages. Instead of cutting the wages of the tea ladies maybe go for low hanging fruit.

Honestly Wayne going to Everton with Everton paying a decent sized compensation package is probably Derby's best hope of making it to the end of the season. It would all but confirm their relegation but would keep them alive just long enough to maybe get a takeover done.

• @inflikted said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Wayne has DEFERRED some of his 90k a week wages. Instead of cutting the wages of the tea ladies maybe go for low hanging fruit.

Honestly Wayne going to Everton with Everton paying a decent sized compensation package is probably Derby's best hope of making it to the end of the season. It would all but confirm their relegation but would keep them alive just long enough to maybe get a takeover done.

No idea what his actual wages are, or how they're paid, but in terms of compensation it would be minimal. They refused to pay 2 million for Martinez from Belgium....

Knight for 5+ mill is the obvious short term cash injection, but the reality is even that is unlikely to happen for anywhere near that fee up front

• When I used to watch ‘Don’t pay, we’ll take it away’ the bailiffs were always very adament about sellable assets being removed. No idea why the administrators of Wayne Rooneys Derby County aren’t being forced to do this by law during the current window.

Wasn’t Jason Cousins a bailiff when he first joined us? Maybe he could help

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    When I used to watch ‘Don’t pay, we’ll take it away’ the bailiffs were always very adament about sellable assets being removed. No idea why the administrators of Wayne Rooneys Derby County aren’t being forced to do this by law during the current window.

To be fair...a lot of the time when I watched that it seemed to be big blokes kicking crying women and kids out of their flats...and saying how sad it made them feel. I would watch the one where they towed MM's Roller away though... :smile:

• edited January 2022

Even Michael Fabric-head is having a go at us for something now

• The Honorable Member for Axminster.

• @Wendoverman said:
    The Honorable Member for Axminster.

Very good

• Love it when people come out and posit poisonous relationships they have with others as legal precedent.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:
    The Honorable Member for Axminster.

Very good

I think someone in the Commons actually called him that by accident once...or something.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    When I used to watch ‘Don’t pay, we’ll take it away’ the bailiffs were always very adament about sellable assets being removed. No idea why the administrators of Wayne Rooneys Derby County aren’t being forced to do this by law during the current window.

Wasn’t Jason Cousins a bailiff when he first joined us? Maybe he could help

Perhaps we could send in the Bayoliff!

• @aloysius said:

Derby fans needing to crowd fund is not a moral issue on our part.
    Derby have 11 days until the transfer window closes to sell players to raise the required funds. If they don’t do that, their fans can only blame them, as that would have been a choice not to sell.

• Still don't understand why the Derby fans are fixating on both ourselves and Middlesbrough.
    I would have thought the £39 million bill to the HMRC was more of a pressing worry!!

Who the hell there decided to spend that money as freely as they must have done to run up that kind of debt

• Give us Tom Lawrence (worth £5 million) pay the first £1 million of his wages = ‘£6 million’ claimed claim cleared. And we walk away.

• @yorkyblue said:

I wonder if the unpaid taxes led to those MPs not being paid, (as they care so much), given there is a rather large hole in government finances as a consequence, would they be so supportive?

• I think for some MPs when people talk about someone not paying any taxes, they find it hard to see what the problem is.