Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• @frequentstander said:

@fame_46 said:
    This should be a lengthy/life ban for me.

It’s a players place of work - if that happened anywhere else at work it would be a disciplinary process. Precedent needs to be set - some weird people out there and these videos are seen nationally / globally, what if the next pitch invader is carrying a weapon and uses it?

Also this takes place in front of full view of family stand. Do Wycombe Wanderers want our next generation of humans growing up watching this and thinking it’s acceptable? This behaviour can seep into schools and wider society.

Except the 'fan' wasn't at work. He didn't use a weapon.

The current 20-35+ age bracket grew up with all sorts of deplorable behaviour - racist chanting, sexist chanting, violent verbal abuse of our own players/staff. These are all acts that I've observed countless times since having a season ticket from age 12. And you're that concerned about someone being pushed?

Yes, the act was incredibly stupid. Very poor conduct from an adult that should know better. But, are you seriously suggesting that trying to push someone over would be worthy of a lifetime ban?

I am in the higher end of that age bracket and I remember a few of the types of incident you listed above and they did happen but I wouldn’t imply that it was a regular occurrence at Wycombe in the 2000s. I actually remember some racist clown at MK Dons away about 10-15 years ago shouting abuse and everyone sat around him having a right go back at him. Everyone was in shock at the time because we thought we had moved beyond that type of stupidity. In my time of supporting Wycombe racist behaviour has never been tolerated by our fan base and challenged when it has rarely occurred.

I can imagine it was a much bigger issue in the 70s/80s but I defer to older posters for that as I wasn’t alive back then.

As for this fan In question I agree a lifetime ban may be a bit strong. However the club do need to punish him, if he had shoved someone like Kevin Ellison there would have been a dust up in the family stand which is the last thing we want. A season long ban and a final warning would be fair.

• If one of the players did that on the pitch he would get a yellow and a stern telling off

• edited January 2022

@Username said:
    A game or two with a much longer suspended ban if anything else happens.

A life ban for that would be pathetic

You're disappointing me recently, as you're normally one of the sounder posters.

I think I saw you on fb suggesting that the player who got clattered by his own keeper was milking it and was always fine - despite getting stretchered off. Though I of course give you the right of response to say you've rethought that one.

But now you seem to be taking that shove of the player exceptionally lightly. It might only have been a hard shove, but could easily have been a punch.
    You simply can't do it and I'd be amazed if he's not dealt with severely if they can identify him properly.

@frequentstander said:

@fame_46 said:

It’s a players place of work - if that happened anywhere else at work it would be a disciplinary process. Precedent needs to be set - some weird people out there and these videos are seen nationally / globally, what if the next pitch invader is carrying a weapon and uses it?

Also this takes place in front of full view of family stand. Do Wycombe Wanderers want our next generation of humans growing up watching this and thinking it’s acceptable? This behaviour can seep into schools and wider society.

The current 20-35+ age bracket grew up with all sorts of deplorable behaviour - racist chanting, sexist chanting, violent verbal abuse of our own players/staff. These are all acts that I've observed countless times since having a season ticket from age 12. And you're that concerned about someone being pushed?

Yes, the act was incredibly stupid. Very poor conduct from an adult that should know better. But, are you seriously suggesting that trying to push someone over would be worthy of a lifetime ban?

This is whataboutery of an oustanding level.
    Yes there's worse stuff, but it's pretty bad laying hands on a player isn't it?
    Or is that just me.

• edited January 2022

@DidcotBlue said:

A season long ban and a final warning would be fair.

Agree with this.(even if I did bodge up the quotation bit!)

• @Malone said:

@Username said:

You're disappointing me recently, as you're normally one of the sounder posters.

I think I saw you on fb suggesting that the player who got clattered by his own keeper was milking it and was always fine - despite getting stretchered off. Though I of course give you the right of response to say you've rethought that one.

But now you seem to be taking that shove of the player exceptionally lightly. It might only have been a hard shove, but could easily have been a punch.
    You simply can't do it and I'd be amazed if he's not dealt with severely if they can identify him properly.

@frequentstander said:

@fame_46 said:

Or is that just me.

Not just you at all.

• No pie-ro, no party.

• edited January 2022

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@frequentstander said:

@fame_46 said:

Or is that just me.

I have rewatched the incident when the guy got smashed by the keeper and he was knocked out, was bizarre that his team mate next to him was completely unconcerned which is what I was largely going from on the day. Glad he's ok

The fan pushing the player was stupid behaviour, but it's a long way from it being a punch. A couple of game ban with a longer suspended ban is "severe" in my books. If it was a punch then he couldnt complain about never coming back

• @Wendoverman said:

@wermhatt said:
    How are stadium bans actually policed?

I assume the fellas who check my bag for missiles, flares and pies as we all enter have a set of mugshots.

At this level and for a petty offence, unless you have previous with the police or a particular steward, I'm pretty sure you could get away with it if you seat yourself quietly somewhere else.

• edited January 2022

I seemed to have killed the site trying to quote

so @username
    Initial reactions can definitely be misleading. My first seconds was a "grrrr" that the ref stopped play but I pretty quickly clocked on, and I'm sure their man did too.

• and it won't let me add to the above, but while a push isn't a punch it does set a precedent if you let it go.
    Similar with going on the pitch. A few nobbers running on is fairly harmless, but it might not be the next time.

• He should get some sort of punishment but I reckon the Weller hair, parka, Liam Gallagher roll walk away and in the family stand suggests to me may not be a regular anyway. Just a guess.

• edited January 2022

@Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@frequentstander said:

@fame_46 said:

Or is that just me.

I have rewatched the incident when the guy got smashed by the keeper and he was knocked out, was bizarre that his team mate next to him was completely unconcerned which is what I was largely going from on the day. Glad he's ok

The fan pushing the player was stupid behaviour, but it's a long way from it being a punch. A couple of game ban with a longer suspended ban is "severe" in my books. If it was a punch then he couldnt complain about never coming back

I can't remotely go along with the apparent suggestion that, unless one punches a player, aggressive physical actions are essentially trivial and unworthy of meaningful sanction. What are our standards to be as a group if we condone in any way, or even pass off as regrettable but ultimately insignificant, the idea that people can just casually push another among us, be they player or anyone else, on a whim? Am I to watch my back in case a fellow fan feels and indulges the impulse to shove me in the back as I watch the game? To pass it off as just the sort of thing one expects from time to time as one goes about one's life?

• edited January 2022

Season long ban looks fair to me, you can’t just assault opposition players.

• Suggestions of lifetime ban outrageous. Such is the internet

• We have cheated by employing players other teams thought were not good enough for League Two who then got us to the Championship?

• Some people just don't understand football @Wendoverman

• Fwiw I don't really think it matters whether the guy could have hurt the player. Pushing opposition players about and shouting about them being sex offenders (it wasn't a small minority singing that in the terrace in the first half) isn't how grown adults should behave. You're meant to make your stadium tough to visit and I'm not advocating we roll out the red carpet for Oxford players, but they are essentially performing for our entertainment. I loved Saturday, but some of this stuff was a bit of a downside.

• @Wendoverman said:
    He should get some sort of punishment but I reckon the Weller hair, parka, Liam Gallagher roll walk away and in the family stand suggests to me may not be a regular anyway. Just a guess.

• @HCblue said:

@Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@frequentstander said:

@fame_46 said:

Or is that just me.

I can't remotely go along with the apparent suggestion that, unless one punches a player, aggressive physical actions are essentially trivial and unworthy of meaningful sanction. What are our standards to be as a group if we condone in any way, or even pass off as regrettable but ultimately insignificant, the idea that people can just casually push another among us, be they player or anyone else, on a whim? Am I to watch my back in case a fellow fan feels and indulges the impulse to shove me in the back as I watch the game? To pass it off as just the sort of thing one expects from time to time as one goes about one's life?

If someone gave me a shove like that I'd be annoyed but I wouldn't be screaming for them to never be able to go to a football game at AP ever again.

There's quite a large grey area between "trivial" and life ban which you seem to pretend doesn't exist.

• I don't understand how people are happy with a life ban for the pitch invader, but just a year or less for the shover?

For me, the former offence is far less serious and less dangerous than the latter. For sure, invading the pitch is really stupid but he never intended to harm anyone. It seemed to be youthful idiocy from an 18 year old who'd probably had a few beers. To me, that warrants a season ban, whereas the shover of the Oxford player easily deserves the life ban

Also, with regards to pitch invasions, where does one draw the line? I was on the pitch when promoted at Chesterfield in 2018, as were most Wycombe fans that day. Obviously this is completely different circumstances, but it shows that this isn't exactly the most horrendous crime in the world because fans are allowed to do it all the time

• @Wendoverman said:
    We have cheated by employing players other teams thought were not good enough for League Two who then got us to the Championship?

Obviously this is on the wrong thread. Blame a couple of bottles of Doom Bar

• edited January 2022

@WanderingDays said:
    I don't understand how people are happy with a life ban for the pitch invader, but just a year or less for the shover?

For me, the former offence is far less serious and less dangerous than the latter. For sure, invading the pitch is really stupid but he never intended to harm anyone. It seemed to be youthful idiocy from an 18 year old who'd probably had a few beers. To me, that warrants a season ban, whereas the shover of the Oxford player easily deserves the life ban

Also, with regards to pitch invasions, where does one draw the line? I was on the pitch when promoted at Chesterfield in 2018, as were most Wycombe fans that day. Obviously this is completely different circumstances, but it shows that this isn't exactly the most horrendous crime in the world because fans are allowed to do it all the time

Agreed on this.

The casual shove on the player was just bizarre to see but equally bizarre that none of our security operation noticed.

It could easily have escalated if the player had taken it less well.

Some fans think they have a right to be as abusive or do what they like around games.

I think back to one of our yobs abusing Pierre outside the ground and looking really surprised that if you taunt someone from a few yards away you might just get some retribution.

• Running on the pitch wasn't an in the moment reaction, it was during a break in play and he ran straight over to the away fans to goad them, could easily have incited trouble. That and the fact it appears that was the sole reason for him attending. A season ban with a life suspended ban would have been fine in my book for that, but I can see why the club went hard, he wasn't a fan anyway so it sends a message without losing anything.

• @Malone said:

@WanderingDays said:
    I don't understand how people are happy with a life ban for the pitch invader, but just a year or less for the shover?

Agreed on this.

The casual shove on the player was just bizarre to see but equally bizarre that none of our security operation noticed.

It could easily have escalated if the player had taken it less well.

Some fans think they have a right to be as abusive or do what they like around games.

I think back to one of our yobs abusing Pierre outside the ground and looking really surprised that if you taunt someone from a few yards away you might just get some retribution.

They did notice - security wandered down for a friendly chat a few minutes afterwards

• @WanderingDays said:

Didn't the pitch invader also shove one of the Oxford players?

You can't just turn a blind eye to these sorts of things but obviously opinions are going to vary as to the severity of any punishments handed down.

Far more concerning to me than either incident have been the shenanigans by the main gates that have occurred at our last two home games. The club and police need to get to grips with that and very quickly or someone is going to get hurt and families will stop coming to games.

• @Username said:

@HCblue said:

@Username said:

@Malone said:

@Username said:

@frequentstander said:

@fame_46 said:

Or is that just me.

If someone gave me a shove like that I'd be annoyed but I wouldn't be screaming for them to never be able to go to a football game at AP ever again.

There's quite a large grey area between "trivial" and life ban which you seem to pretend doesn't exist.

I pretended nothing and made no reference to sanctions except a passing one in the first sentence.

My issue is with the framing of the offence and that it seems to me deeply significant that a fan thought it even slightly appropriate to push a player as this one did. To me, it is a deeply worrying act, not least for the apparently casual, almost instinctive, nature of its execution.

• @Wendoverman said:

@Wendoverman said:
    We have cheated by employing players other teams thought were not good enough for League Two who then got us to the Championship?

I do hate kids who can't handle a couple of sherberts!

• @mooneyman said:

@Wendoverman said:

@Wendoverman said:

I do hate kids who can't handle a couple of sherberts!

Or old gets who can handle the sherbets but not then operate heavy machinery...or a mobile phone keyboard!

• The club website has the terms for entering the ground in the article about the lifetime ban.

The shove on the Oxford player was completely unacceptable and could easily have been avoided. Players are not meant to leave the field of play and spectators are not meant to shove players back onto the field of play.

The club have dealt with the pitch invader under section 11.3 and they are dealing with the fan who shoved the Oxford player I presume under Section 9 - threatening behaviour.

We live in a country that promotes re-habilitation and second chances. I think life bans for 18 year olds are over the top, for what I understand is a first offence. I cannot comment on the shove as it's unknown what the outcome of that is yet.

According to those terms of entry they should also be dealing with the "sex offender" chants aimed at Matty Taylor and Adebayo Akinfenwa by both sets of fans under Section 10 and Section 11.2

This for me is the problem - those rules are not followed every time an incident takes place, leeway is shown. I assume the 12 year old who entered the field of play does not have a life ban but I could be wrong.

If it's a large section of support chanting something, then it seems to result in announcement over the tannoy / article on the website but no banning orders as per terms of entry.

There's no silver bullet, as I'm sure everyone has shouted something abusive at some point at football and you cannot ban everyone!

If the club intend to give a life ban to anyone committing certain offences, then it needs to be in those rules.

• Historically ‘pitch invasions’ we quite a thing. Now I really don’t think all spectators understand the gravity of the offence of entering the field of play. This needs to be spelt out in no uncertain terms at matches by the club before it gets out of hand.