Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• edited January 2022

Have to say the appointed administrators have been shockingly poor so far. The MP parrotting their lines isn't helpful although it's good to know they actually exist. Suggesions are that they looked to use a cheap / MM friendly administrator rather than a big player, or that the usual companies wouldn't touch it due to fall out if it fails.

Plan A (in my opinion) seems to have been:

-Blame Covd, EFL, Wycombe, Boro, Morris (paint things as if MM longer involved), no admissions of guilt for ongoing overspending or law breaking
    --Get maximum sympathy by threat of closure
    -Get a mug to "invest" what would seem to be a reasonable amount for a club with prem potential
    --Limit all existing claims to a tiny percentage of their value
    -Sell fringe players for inconsequential amounts but keep squad mostly in tact to try and stay up or bounce back immediately
    --Agree free or peppercorn rental of stadium for a year or two
    -MM sells the new owner the stadium in a few years time for a nice pay day
    --As you were afterwards

Unfortunately chickens are coming home to roost. Several months later the administrators have not made inroads to negotiate a significant reduction in debts or claims, attract a funded takeover, or ensure a reduction of expenditure to a more sustainable level. This is their entire remit. The first and third points should help the second
    The transfer ban whilst an annoyance should not affect them as they have not made significant sales, don't need new players and can't afford them anyway.
    Football creditor laws, existing claims and HMRCs unwillingness to set a precedent are inconvenient but neither were unforcastable or are being negotiated to any level of satisfaction, and focussing on various supposed vendettas only alienates them from the people they want goodwill from.

• I have been of the opinion that yourselves and Middlesbrough are entitled to pursue our separate claims and the fate of Derby is secondary - although I hope they survive in league 1.
    Now I'm beginning to think we should ditch our claims and watch from the moral high round as Derby sink into the cesspit of liquidation anyway.

• It is certainly a very bizarre scenario. No lover of the East Midlands rivals of my youth but I would not want to see them go out of business...so hopefully some sort of solution can be reached. I hope these administrators don't get paid...they seem to be a bit crap.

• @Wendoverman said:
    It is certainly a very bizarre scenario. No lover of the East Midlands rivals of my youth but I would not want to see them go out of business...so hopefully some sort of solution can be reached. I hope these administrators don't get paid...they seem to be a bit crap.

They'll get paid, very well and first.

• @WanderingDays said:

@Twizz said:
    What if the shot for Bristol Rovers goes in the goal rather than hitting the bar .....

Now I'm feeling miserable.

Three shots from Bristol Rovers players hit the bar in that Mansfield game in 2014. It's crazy how different (and less enjoyable) my life might be now if any of them had gone in...

I would probably have been a lot richer financially though! (Just poorer in life experience)

• edited January 2022

I’m calling it now:

Something weird will happen and Derby are going to go out of business and we’re gonna get handed either an automatic promotional place for finishing third, or even get a playoff place for finishing 7th and win the playoffs.

Anything so that posh fans can go mad at us again.

• Imagine...

But I think they'd just relegate one fewer from League One - there's precedent from 2019/20, when Stevenage got a reprieve in League Two because of the Bury situation.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Imagine...

But I think they'd just relegate one fewer from League One - there's precedent from 2019/20, when Stevenage got a reprieve in League Two because of the Bury situation.

Given they are already in the relegation spots, it would make sense that two go down and three up as would happen anyway.

But you just know something will happen that we can be blamed for.

• My prediction is that the EFL won’t let Wayne Rooney’s Derby County™ go out of business and will magically allow everything to drag on for another 6 seasons. It’s how they roll.

• edited January 2022

Just got in, it's been a long day, so thought I'd catch up.... why the hell are they not selling players !?! I read online earlier they turned a half million pound bid down for one youngster, as they didn't want to lose him.... do they want to see the season out or not !?

• @HolmerBlue said:
    Just got in, it's been a long day, so thought I'd catch up.... why the hell are they not selling players !?! I read online earlier they turned a half million pound bid down for one youngster, as they didn't want to lose him.... do they want to see the season out or not !?

It's bonkers isn't it.
    Any other type of business would surely be forced to use their highly valuable assets to generate funds and clear debt.

• Just listening to Colin Murray’s show from last night. Derby have only sold one player so far - Shinnie to Wigan. The reported fee is £30,000. Apparently a Championship chairman has said they would have signed him and happily paid £100,000 but were not aware of his availability!

• @Gary said:
    Just listening to Colin Murray’s show from last night. Derby have only sold one player so far - Shinnie to Wigan. The reported fee is £30,000. Apparently a Championship chairman has said they would have signed him and happily paid £100,000 but were not aware of his availability!

thought it was 300k not 30k?

• @Wanderers82 said:

@Gary said:
    Just listening to Colin Murray’s show from last night. Derby have only sold one player so far - Shinnie to Wigan. The reported fee is £30,000. Apparently a Championship chairman has said they would have signed him and happily paid £100,000 but were not aware of his availability!

thought it was 300k not 30k?

Nope, £30k - just double checked, it’s at the 1hr 5m mark. An absolute steal for that kinda fee.

• Yep, 1 player sold for £30k was the reported figure ...

• wow....that's crazy low fee ...administrators are awful business people

• The administrators are not running this very well. Their job is to raise funds to pay creditors…period. But from experience their first focus is getting their own fee paid and, if that can run on and run up, hey that’s business.

Why Wycombe are claiming against Derby and not the EFL. Because if Derby stayed up by breaking the rules then Derby have the £6m that goes with being in the Championship this season. That money would be Wycombe’s, if Derby had played by the rules. The EFL does not have that money, Derby has it, therefore the claim is against Derby.

• And I am 100% behind Rob on this.

• I’ve seen on Twitter someone say we cheated because of a phantom goal vs Shrewsbury and Just because I am bored with the “Wycombe cheated with ppg” rhetoric can we please help these guys come up with some original times we cheated?

I’m start:

Wycombe cheated when they let lightening strike the stadium with Bristol Rovers 3-1 up and we got the ref to call the game off

Anyone for any more?

• edited January 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Imagine...

Yeah just 2 teams would drop down from the Championship with 3 up. Then 4th from bottom in League One gets saved with 3 going down, 4 up from League Two and so on until they get to Step 7 with the Isthmian/Southern/Northern Leagues which regularly function with an odd number of teams because of administration/withdrawals/etc.

Unfortunately if Derby do go bust Wycombe will end up with a ton of legal fees and no compensation as there'll be no entity to claim the money from.

• @TheDancingYak said:
    I’ve seen on Twitter someone say we cheated because of a phantom goal vs Shrewsbury and Just because I am bored with the “Wycombe cheated with ppg” rhetoric can we please help these guys come up with some original times we cheated?

I’m start:

Wycombe cheated when they let lightening strike the stadium with Bristol Rovers 3-1 up and we got the ref to call the game off

Anyone for any more?

I'm game in principle but struggling to come up with good examples. Wycombe cheated when they got promoted because they didn't even pay transfer fees for any of their players? I mean, tinpot or what.

• @inflikted said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Imagine...

Yeah just 2 teams would drop down from the Championship with 3 up. Then 4th from bottom in League One gets saved with 3 going down, 4 up from League Two and so on until they get to Step 7 with the Isthmian/Southern/Northern Leagues which regularly function with an odd number of teams because of administration/withdrawals/etc.

Unfortunately if Derby do go bust Wycombe will end up with a ton of legal fees and no compensation as there'll be no entity to claim the money from.

As far a I can see we’ve just sent a letter although there may have been some legal consultation we have yet to launch any formal proceedings so the costs as of today aren’t a huge problem

• @HCblue said:

@TheDancingYak said:
    I’ve seen on Twitter someone say we cheated because of a phantom goal vs Shrewsbury and Just because I am bored with the “Wycombe cheated with ppg” rhetoric can we please help these guys come up with some original times we cheated?

I’m start:

Anyone for any more?

I'm game in principle but struggling to come up with good examples. Wycombe cheated when they got promoted because they didn't even pay transfer fees for any of their players? I mean, tinpot or what.

Wycombe cheated when Gareth Ainsworth now the Wycombe manager scored with his hand.

Ok, that might actually have been cheating. But it was vs Col U

• Wycombe cheated when Bloomfield dived to win a penalty.

• edited January 2022

Didn’t we start a fire to avoid the prospect of an embarrassing defeat by Oxford City in the FA Cup?

• @inflikted said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Imagine...

Alan Swan will lubing up at the thought it of - surely their only hope of staying up as they continue to Stink Up the Championship™

• @TheDancingYak said:

I’m start:

Anyone for any more?

We seem to cheat on a regular basis; by using that old tried and tested method of persuading the officials to calculate an unjustifiable amount of added time, then having the temerity to score 2 minutes after this added time has expired.

• I think Peterborough will stay up as the wheels have well and truly come off at Reading

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I think Peterborough will stay up as the wheels have well and truly come off at Reading

Paunovic must be hanging on by the thinnest of threads. When he goes, as go he surely must, let's hope they don't look for a replacement who just happens to live a short bike ride from their training ground.

• @HomerLone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I think Peterborough will stay up as the wheels have well and truly come off at Reading

Paunovic must be hanging on by the thinnest of threads. When he goes, as go he surely must, let's hope they don't look for a replacement who just happens to live a short bike ride from their training ground.

There is no way GA is going there now so I wouldn’t worry about that.