Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Agreed - the individual should be punished.

I would argue that the player shouldn't leave the field of play to retrieve the ball - although I understand why he did and it doesn't excuse the guy who had pushed him.
    Just imagine the repercussions if the player had fallen and injured himself. The guy might now be looking at a charge of common assault. Try explaining that to the boss on Monday morning!
    He was a fool and it'd be in his interest to make the first move and apologies now.

• I don't get what comes across someone's mind to do that! I just can't get my head around it. We used to be a family club but I fear for the youth team coming trough!

Credit to the Oxford player for not reacting.

• @thecatwwfc said:
    I don't get what comes across someone's mind to do that! I just can't get my head around it. We used to be a family club but I fear for the youth team coming trough!

Credit to the Oxford player for not reacting.

Youth team? Look at the guy again. There is no way he's under 30.

• I saw the bloke pretty close up afterwards and he was easily 40

• Our club need to identify this man and ban him . There is no excuse for his actions.

• They're on the case

• @davecz said:
    Our club need to identify this man and ban him . There is no excuse for his actions.

Agree that action has to be taken. A lifetime ban would seem harsh though. Perhaps, following an apology and an "I'll never do it again", a 3-5 home game time-out would be suitable.

• @LordMandeville said:

@Wycombe85 said:
    An Oxford player was nudged when he went into the Family Stand to retrieve the ball towards the end of the game. It was a bit silly, but certainly not an "attack". Credit to the Oxford player who didn't make a fuss about it, although I don't think there was too much in it.

A wee bit more than a nudge methinks.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1483125348988559362

That's dreadful and the chump should get as much of a ban as the pitch invader.
    You can't be aggressively shoving players, that's not on.

Family stand as well, this isn't some boozed up terrace guy trying to impress the shout gang!

• This is different to running on the pitch, which is premeditated.

What the guy did was stupid but spur of the moment (and probably instantly regretted).

• Really hideous to see this. Much worse than I had thought may have happened (and I was not blase in the first place). I get mob mentality and that we all have something of a predisposition to very different behaviour in such circumstances than in others, just as we might be more careless with our words when interacting online than in real life, but I'd be glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who cannot relate to the instincts that led this person to behave so crassly.

• @Glenactico said:
    This is different to running on the pitch, which is premeditated.

What the guy did was stupid but spur of the moment (and probably instantly regretted).

Agreed, he didn't make a bee line for him, barely broke stride. Nothing like deciding to run into the pitch and goad the away end

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2022

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, like the pitch invader, he's another one with no ticket history at AP. In which case, just ban him for life too.

• That’s really bad, Wycombe Head of security needs to sort this out.

• edited January 2022

@fame_46 said:
    This should be a lengthy/life ban for me.

It’s a players place of work - if that happened anywhere else at work it would be a disciplinary process. Precedent needs to be set - some weird people out there and these videos are seen nationally / globally, what if the next pitch invader is carrying a weapon and uses it?

Also this takes place in front of full view of family stand. Do Wycombe Wanderers want our next generation of humans growing up watching this and thinking it’s acceptable? This behaviour can seep into schools and wider society.

Except the 'fan' wasn't at work. He didn't use a weapon.

The current 20-35+ age bracket grew up with all sorts of deplorable behaviour - racist chanting, sexist chanting, violent verbal abuse of our own players/staff. These are all acts that I've observed countless times since having a season ticket from age 12. And you're that concerned about someone being pushed?

Yes, the act was incredibly stupid. Very poor conduct from an adult that should know better. But, are you seriously suggesting that trying to push someone over would be worthy of a lifetime ban?

• I think he means the player was at work @frequentstander which he actually was.

• I'd argue that the current 20-35+ age bracket grew up with less deplorable behavior at football than the previous generation.

• Any transgressions at Adams Park, be they pitch invaders, racist or homophobic chanting or any other form of anti social behaviour, should be taken very seriously. We have a hard earned and well deserved reputation for being a family club with an excellent record for good behaviour and it’s something we should protect at all costs.

• A game or two with a much longer suspended ban if anything else happens.

A life ban for that would be pathetic

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would ban him for the rest of the season with a threat of a ban for life if he brings the club into disrepute again.

The club/trust should seriously consider a "spectators code of conduct" that is issued with every ticket which makes clear the expected level of behaviour at Adams Park

• 'issued with every ticket'? @Erroll_Sims that is soooo last century! :smile:

• Without human intervention or written rules we’re doomed I tell ya - dooomed.

• We live in a cyber world.

• How are stadium bans actually policed?

• @wermhatt said:
    How are stadium bans actually policed?

I assume the fellas who check my bag for missiles, flares and pies as we all enter have a set of mugshots.

• So you're the missile flare pie guy!

• @wermhatt said:
    So you're the missile flare pie guy!

Was. Until the Feds got wise.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Any transgressions at Adams Park, be they pitch invaders, racist or homophobic chanting or any other form of anti social behaviour, should be taken very seriously. We have a hard earned and well deserved reputation for being a family club with an excellent record for good behaviour and it’s something we should protect at all costs.

It also comes down to economics. I have taken my daughter to Wycombe since she was 4 and only cos it was a safe and friendly environment. The league 1 grounds (aka Premiership) I frequented in my late teens and early 20’s (peak thuggery in the 80s) were places for street smarts and not a 4 year old.