Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• As Rob said the other week: “away supporters and @aloysius are always welcome at Adams Park.”

• @Username said:

@frequentstander said:
    Does anyone know why we are pursuing Derby, rather than the EFL?

It was the EFL's incompetent audit process which meant the amortisation issue was not noticed upon first submission. If the EFL audited correctly first time round then this could have been solved a lot faster.

From the 5 live podcast it seems as if this could rumble on for at least another 12 months yet...

I think there crux of it is, that the amortisation appeals procedure all went through, the decision, the appeal and then reappeal which confirmed that Derby were in breach, all of that timewasting was "within the rules". But then once Derby knew this would cause them to be deducted points and that was the reason for them delaying the handing over of their accounts, by Morris' own admission. That's just plain cheating, with the direct losers being us.

Yes the efl are culpable too, but you still blame the robbers and take them to court not the police, even if they were incompetent.

Sueing the EFL is sueing 72 clubs, 71 of which did nothing wrong

I think your final line hits the nail on the head. Thanks.

• It was a bit tongue in cheek @Twizz but it was also with a bit of a gamble that they won't be able to find the 7 million, (the figure I have seen), guaranteed. I think RC keeping up the pressure will though certainly push some people into action. As he said, all we have heard so far is rumours and WWFC & MFC are being used as deflectors as the administrators run around in circles looking for a real bid?

• edited January 2022

Derby should be allowed to sign players but only from other sports

• Rob C not buying The Player looms large in @aloysius legend. I doubt there is anything he could ever do or say now that will ever close that wound.

• edited January 2022

I don't recall Gaz's public lobbying to sign a new striker?

• I wonder whether a deal for Tom Lawrence has been done already that will cover the costs for the rest of the season.
    Maybe even compensation from Everton for Rooney, If he goes.
    Perhaps the administrators are just trying to get as close to the deadline as possible to make the creditors desperate and accept really low offers.
    Otherwise I just cannot understand their current lack of action in terms of agreeing deals with creditors and selling current players.
    It’s all very odd that nothing really seems to be happening.

• We came down by one point after throwing away leads against Luton and Swansea late on in the season. If only Rob C had signed a Championship quality defender who can say we would not have conceded those goals, thus winning the games and staying up?

• I know it is a serious subject, but the Nottingham Forest forum is hilarious on this issue. Serious chortling happening.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

No-one does other than @aloysius, who’s irrational dislike of Rob C clouds a lot of his posts.

• @micra said:
    I’d always say Derby County were in breach of regulations rather than ‘was’. I hate the way the Aussies say England is trailing by 485 runs !

This is spot on.

• @arnos_grove said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

No-one does other than @aloysius, who’s irrational dislike of Rob C clouds a lot of his posts.

I don't have the time to delve into all of last January's internet to find evidence but here's Gareth in the Metro on 7th Jan saying he has a few targets he's chasing on having just signed Muskwe. Subsequent to him we only signed an injured Ofoborh. A few weeks later Joe Piggott was said to have turned down Wycombe, who knows who else Gareth wanted to sign? I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't made inquiries about Vokes at that stage though.

https://www.pressreader.com/zimbabwe/h-metro/20210107/281831466363139

• @Shev said:
    I know it is a serious subject, but the Nottingham Forest forum is hilarious on this issue. Serious chortling happening.

Have you got a link?

• edited January 2022

@aloysius said:
    I don't have the time to delve into all of last January's internet to find evidence.

A few weeks later Joe Piggott was said to have turned down Wycombe

who knows who else Gareth wanted to sign?

I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't made inquiries about Vokes at that stage though.

I think Rob Couhig might describe that as flimsy ‘evidence’. I’m not entirely sure what the last point even means, with the confusing use of ‘wouldn’t’ and ‘hadn’t’.

• Regardless of what people think if our current course of action, suggesting it should be dropped because we chose not to sign any players last January is bizarre, bordering on the surreal

• @aloysius said:

@arnos_grove said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I don't have the time to delve into all of last January's internet to find evidence but here's Gareth in the Metro on 7th Jan saying he has a few targets he's chasing on having just signed Muskwe. Subsequent to him we only signed an injured Ofoborh. A few weeks later Joe Piggott was said to have turned down Wycombe, who knows who else Gareth wanted to sign? I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't made inquiries about Vokes at that stage though.

https://www.pressreader.com/zimbabwe/h-metro/20210107/281831466363139

So he didn't publicly lobby for a striker? Good to have that cleaned up.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Derby should be allowed to sign players but only from other sports

I suspect there may be a few England cricketers looking around for opportunities shortly.

• edited January 2022

If only we hadn't let that lead slip at Swansea, all this would've been irrelevant.

• @HolmerBlue said:
    If only we hadn't let that lead slip at Swansea, all this would've been irrelevant.

Indeed which is why the constant carping about not buying a striker by Rob's nemesis irritates me. Uche, Muskwe and Fred were doing the business we just did not see a couple of games out late on which can happen in football whoever you have in the team. One player would not have 'guaranteed' survival any more than teams with big budgets playing expansive, progressive football always get promoted from League One.

• If only Sunderland had bought "that striker" in 2019 they wouldn't still be stuck in this shit league!

• edited January 2022

I think there needs to be a new internet law, based on Godwin’s law when it comes to talking to people about Wycombe.

“as an online discussion grows longer (regardless of topic or scope), the probability of involving PPG or Wycombe not deserving a place in the play offs approaches 1”

Have any discussion with a derby fan and it’ll soon end up with them abandoning there thought train and quickly jump on that old chestnut

• @aloysius said:

@Gary said:
    Rob’s interview:

• we’ve lost in excess of £10m as a result.
    • statistically teams that stay in Championship for a second term stay up for a third.
    • Rob wants to be financially compensated for the loss.

I'm sorry that I'm yet to have drunk the Kool Aid on this. But I genuinely cannot comprehend how someone can spend no money on permanent transfers in the January window, finish the campaign with £3m+ in the bank but get relegated by a point, and then lodge a claim with the administrators for up to £10m of lost earnings.

Gareth Ainsworth publicly lobbied to sign another striker that window. If we'd signed Sam Vokes in January - as a hypothetical example - and played him alongside Uche, does anyone think we wouldn't have gained another two points?

There's a perfectly valid argument to be made that we wanted to save money to spend over the coming years to keep the club financially sustainable. It's an argument the Couhigs made themselves when, I vaguely remember, they talked about how they'd be happy for Wycombe to be a yo-yo club for a few years before establishing themselves in the Championship. That's a fine argument to make. But I just don't see how it fits logically with what Rob Couhig is saying now. To me this claim smacks of opportunism. There are other very worthy creditors to Derby's demise. I'm really not persuaded we're one of them.

Just so I am clear. You would prefer us to roll the dice on signing a guaranteed scoring striker in the hope that we stayed up. And if we didn't? I seem to have heard this story before.

• @aloysius said:

I'm sorry that I'm yet to have drunk the Kool Aid on this. But I genuinely cannot comprehend how someone can spend no money on permanent transfers in the January window, finish the campaign with £3m+ in the bank but get relegated by a point, and then lodge a claim with the administrators for up to £10m of lost earnings.

Gareth Ainsworth publicly lobbied to sign another striker that window. If we'd signed Sam Vokes in January - as a hypothetical example - and played him alongside Uche, does anyone think we wouldn't have gained another two points?

There's a perfectly valid argument to be made that we wanted to save money to spend over the coming years to keep the club financially sustainable. It's an argument the Couhigs made themselves when, I vaguely remember, they talked about how they'd be happy for Wycombe to be a yo-yo club for a few years before establishing themselves in the Championship. That's a fine argument to make. But I just don't see how it fits logically with what Rob Couhig is saying now. To me this claim smacks of opportunism. There are other very worthy creditors to Derby's demise. I'm really not persuaded we're one of them.

We had the striker in the club to do it. His name was Uche Ikpezu. Unfortunately he missed a lot of the first few months of the season through illness and injury. Which can happen to any player.

Including the unicorn you think RC should have signed.

• Addressed to any Derby fans now bleating that they had 'no idea' about Mel Morris' cheating back when they were getting the benefits of it.

• Football is always about moments of what-if.

What if Henry had shot rather than tried to square to Taylor in the play-off final?

What if the linesman in our home game with Derby had had his eyes open and kept up with play before wrongly flagging Horgan offside?

In the former case we might never even have been in the Championship. In the latter, who knows what the final score would have been. But both are probably more relevant 'what if' discussions to have than what if we'd bought that theoretical striker in January.

• edited January 2022

We did sign a striker; his name was Admiral Muskwe. Then again, I don't have a weird vendetta against our chairman, and, as far as I can tell, nor does anyone else on here.

• What if the shot for Bristol Rovers goes in the goal rather than hitting the bar .....

Now I'm feeling miserable.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    We did sign a striker; his name was Admiral Muskwe. Then again, I don't have a weird vendetta against our chairman, and, as far as I can tell, nor does anyone else on here.

Not quite everyone on here. I think there's one we know of.

• @drcongo said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Not quite everyone on here. I think there's one we know of.

Sorry, anyone other than the one who couldn't have made it much clearer.

• @Twizz said:
    What if the shot for Bristol Rovers goes in the goal rather than hitting the bar .....

Now I'm feeling miserable.

Three shots from Bristol Rovers players hit the bar in that Mansfield game in 2014. It's crazy how different (and less enjoyable) my life might be now if any of them had gone in...