Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• edited January 2022

Oxford fans are complaining about two incidents where players were attacked by our fans...and in one instance he was 'allowed to amble back to his seat'. I must get may glasses checked as well as my ears. They were also claiming something sinister about the Home dug-out being closer to away fans and subs warming up close to the Away end until it was pointed out that they have to do that to avoid impeding the linesman. Also Thames Valley Police let us get away with everything apparently.

• An Oxford player was nudged when he went into the Family Stand to retrieve the ball towards the end of the game. It was a bit silly, but certainly not an "attack". Credit to the Oxford player who didn't make a fuss about it, although I don't think there was too much in it.

• Why did we move the dugouts around so that the home one was the one nearer the away end?

I know they're not that far apart, but did we do that for the minor gain of their bench not being able to whip up their crowd slightly more?

• It was done the summer after we nearly went down when Gaz made loads of changes to reset the feel around the whole place. I don't think a specific reason was ever given, but once we started winning more I guess there was never any point changing back!

• @Wycombe85 said:
    An Oxford player was nudged when he went into the Family Stand to retrieve the ball towards the end of the game. It was a bit silly, but certainly not an "attack". Credit to the Oxford player who didn't make a fuss about it, although I don't think there was too much in it.

Ahhh...then it is my eyes...the Family Stand is just a blur to me most of the time! :smile:

• A friend of a relative who lives in Oxfordshire was in the Oxford stand and reported that the game was "men versus boys". That seems to go against most views mentioned here and probably reflects the reluctant view of a good many who saw it.

• @Wycombe85 said:
    An Oxford player was nudged when he went into the Family Stand to retrieve the ball towards the end of the game. It was a bit silly, but certainly not an "attack". Credit to the Oxford player who didn't make a fuss about it, although I don't think there was too much in it.

A wee bit more than a nudge methinks.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1483125348988559362

• That’s really not on. The steward should have done something.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    That’s really not on. The steward should have done something.

Agree. That is appalling behaviour from an adult and fair play to the Oxford player for not milking it. Just as bad as the invader and could have caused serious injury.

• @LordMandeville said:

@Wycombe85 said:

Ah, that's much worse than I thought. He ought to get a talking to.

• Yep, sorry, definitely more than a nudge! Very stupid thing to do, would only have taken the Oxford player to have fallen onto the advertising hoardings and injured himself and you've suddenly got an incident on your hands.

• That is absolutely ridiculous, and an absolutely appalling example to be setting young kids in that stand.

I hope the club are looking into it

• I take it back...OUFC fans have every right to be pissed off about that and even if it had not caused injury, the player could have made a meal of it and with the invasion added on we could have been facing some serious questions! Really pointless.

• edited January 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:

@LordMandeville said:

@Wycombe85 said:

Ah, that's much worse than I thought. He ought to get a talking to.

Make that a ban actually - pushing someone with studs on concrete has the potential to end very nastily. I take back what I said about it being 'silly but funny' - I clearly didn't see it properly at the time. My bad.

• I actually think our Club should issue a formal apology to their player.

• It's stupid but it wasn't exactly a forceful shove, they're professional footballers not kids, next to no chance of being injured. From reading the Oxford fans reaction I was expecting much worse.

Still 100% not on though and should get a very strong talking to at least

• @Username said:
    It's stupid but it wasn't exactly a forceful shove, they're professional footballers not kids, next to no chance of being injured. From reading the Oxford fans reaction I was expecting much worse.

Wouldn't say there's next to chance injury when they're wearing studs on a surface absolutely not designed for them!

• that's really poor. I hope the club is able to identify the culprit and take some action.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Username said:
    It's stupid but it wasn't exactly a forceful shove, they're professional footballers not kids, next to no chance of being injured. From reading the Oxford fans reaction I was expecting much worse.

Wouldn't say there's next to chance injury when they're wearing studs on a surface absolutely not designed for them!

Studs on concrete isn't great but it doesn't make a pro athlete into a newborn dear. I wouldn't expect to be injured getting a shoved like that 100 times and I'm in nowhere near that physical condition!

Anyway, that doesn't particularly matter, the bloke was an idiot especially in the family stand.

• @LordMandeville said:

@Wycombe85 said:

Yeah that’s a tad out of order and should be looked at by the club. Poor example to set in front of children, it could easily have resulted in injury or physical retaliation.

• edited January 2022

Not good enough from our stewards to not take action against the nob who did that. Whether or not you feel it was a mere "nudge", there's no excuse at all for a spectator to make any contact with a player in that situation.

• It's not, but our stewards are also their stewards - so Oxford fans demanding Wycombe 'sort it out' haven't got much of a point.

• Looking at the chap, it looks like he is wearing a fishtail.
    So I presume he was a Mod, and maybe thought the Oxford player was a Ted or a Rocker.
    Perhaps our stewards, should be more vigilant to keep the rival youth culture's apart.

• Not sure it matters who the stewards represent. The bottom line is the club need to take action against the supporter in question and should apologise to the player involved.

• @Username said:

I like the thought they are professional footballers so wouldn’t be bothered by that shove. Don’t you notice them falling over at the slightest touch at every opportunity? That Oxford player was the first I’ve seen stay on their feet and thus prove my supermarket rule would make football better.
    The fan should be banned. Partly for the push and definitely for the arrogant walk off. He was asking for a punch at that point.

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Username said:

I like the thought they are professional footballers so wouldn’t be bothered by that shove. Don’t you notice them falling over at the slightest touch at every opportunity? That Oxford player was the first I’ve seen stay on their feet and thus prove my supermarket rule would make football better.
    The fan should be banned. Partly for the push and definitely for the arrogant walk off. He was asking for a punch at that point.

Falling over to get a free kick or to get a player booked isn't the same as being hurt though

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    It's not, but our stewards are also their stewards - so Oxford fans demanding Wycombe 'sort it out' haven't got much of a point.

Obviously Wycombe should sort it out, but if their fans are having a go at our stewards then they're also having a go at their own. Then again, I think far too much is expected of them when they're being paid peanuts (if anything?) to keep an eye on some, let's face it, not very nice people.

• @LX1 said:
    JJ was imperious I thought. So calm..a great leader.

I love Stockdale but thought he was too 'up for it' and playing to the crowd. First five minutes doing a risky Cruyff turn...the clearance of the line he was diving outside of the goal. He makes some great saves though hope he does'nt change just focus

It's a good point. Goalkeepers can be guilty of this.

Always question marks over Pickford because of his overhyped personality. GK's need the coolest head on the pitch.

• edited January 2022

@thecatwwfc said:

@LX1 said:
    JJ was imperious I thought. So calm..a great leader.

I love Stockdale but thought he was too 'up for it' and playing to the crowd. First five minutes doing a risky Cruyff turn...the clearance of the line he was diving outside of the goal. He makes some great saves though hope he does'nt change just focus

It's a good point. Goalkeepers can be guilty of this.

Always question marks over Pickford because of his overhyped personality. GK's need the coolest head on the pitch.

Joe Hart was awful for this, I always think of that clip from before England v Wales at Euro 2016 when he went and made a howler

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    That’s really not on. The steward should have done something.

Agree, but the person in the high-vis nearest looks like a ball boy to me?

Not sure he could have done much other than give the idiot fan a set of new ones to replace the ones that are still tucked up inside him.