Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• @eric_plant said:
    I've only just seen these comments from Karl Robinson:

“You see the fireworks they put off afterwards – it just shows we’re a better team than maybe we think when you see the reaction of opposition teams when they beat us.”

?????

Something else he is. His after match comments are always a joy to behold.

• I think we can all be absolutely certain that Oxford are not a better team than they think they are!

• LX1LX1
    edited January 2022

What a wonderful day. Just got home

• Difficult journey @LX1 ?

• LX1LX1
    edited January 2022

Stopped off at Gaydon and then on autopilot went south on m40. So cut losses and stayed in Bicester. Managed a karaoke in some weirdo Oxfordshire pub

• Mark would have been proud. Got thrashed at pool but there's only one score that matters.

Wycombe 2 Oxford nil

• There was also the rare weather phenomenon of saline flooding wreaking havoc with people's journeys home

• Difference between Oxford United and Dire Straits?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Horgan would suit a progressive passing side fine - and I don't think his place in the Ireland squad is under much threat as Stephen Kenny just seems to like him.

He won't leave this month - he'll be one of our highest earners, so we're not gonna tear the contract up, and who's going to put a bid in when he's OOC in six months? We need to keep everyone for the promotion push.

I do agree that he'd be one of our highest earners, but he seems to be out of favour with Gareth and it feels to me as if we've given him more than a fair chance in the last 18 months. Feels very similar to the Alex Samuel / Scott Kashket situation - thanks for your time but your time is now.

Whilst I'm not sure if he's entirely suitable for each of this list, it's likely many of the following would at least match the wage we're offering him:

Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton, Bolton, Sheff Wed.

Of course this is all theoretical and hinges on him hoping to stay in the Ireland setup - he might not be bothered. But it feels like he has no place in the starting XI now unless there is a bit of an injury/suspension/covid crisis. According to WhoScored, he's not played more than 90 cumulative minutes since the Fleetwood game in October - and that was when McCleary was injured. I think that says it all.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    There was also the rare weather phenomenon of saline flooding wreaking havoc with people's journeys home

Good work haha

• You can’t beat Dire Straits. Apologies for absolute puerile buncombe.

• @micra said:
    Difference between Oxford United and Dire Straits?

I cannot think of anything haha!

• @DidcotBlue said:
    I am not sure most of those names listed above would want to leave if we missed out on promotion. Only Stewart would likely leave for a Championship club out of that group. I feel that the remainder would have the choice of a sideways step in league one or staying put with us.

I think you are right, I’m just not sure which Championship clubs would want our players. So their option would probably be sideways into another league one club. That could mean pressure on our wage bill to keep them.

I think Horgan will be looking for more game time but not sure he will find that at Championship level next season, except with Wycombe?

• edited January 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    There was also the rare weather phenomenon of saline flooding wreaking havoc with people's journeys home

I realise what I have just described is a tsunami ?‍♂️

• A travel company once coined today as 'Blue Monday' as everyone was paying off Christmas debts

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I realise what I have just described is a tsunami ?‍♂️

Hearing reports that Aylesbury has been washed away. Thoughts with anyone who has suffered

• Though it will be strange when Bayo and then (ultimately) JJ retire, there would be something extremely sad about seeing Anthony Stewart in anything other than the blue quarters (thankfully, I don't see him leaving). There are not superlatives enough for that man.

• It just looks so WEIRD

• He is a champion isn't he? (he did wear the red of Crewe Alexandra briefly though)

You can see in his eyes he loves it. Didn't take any sh8t from Taylor on Saturday. What a man

• haha great minds @ReturnToSenda

• JJ was imperious I thought. So calm..a great leader.

I love Stockdale but thought he was too 'up for it' and playing to the crowd. First five minutes doing a risky Cruyff turn...the clearance of the line he was diving outside of the goal. He makes some great saves though hope he does'nt change just focus

• edited January 2022

By the way, not sure if anyone posted this anywhere yet? So sick of our anti-football!

• @Shev said:
    By the way, not sure if anyone posted this anywhere yet? So sick of our anti-football!

bang

• Those statistics prove that our reputation for being just a long ball team that relies heavily on set pieces is utter nonsense.

• You are simultaneously the poster that cares least what other teams think of us yet mentions it the most.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Those statistics prove that our reputation for being just a long ball team that relies heavily on set pieces is utter nonsense.

Not really - there's no correlation between directness and the numbers of goals scored from outside the box.

• On the subject of styles of play, watching Oxford's centre halves pass it between themselves, on their own half whilst 2-0 down with not long to play was hugely enjoyable

• Responding to Eric Plant, I think you’ll find that there are literally dozens of posters who refer to opposition fans comments more frequently than I do. There is even a much loved section of Phil’s weekly podcast that quotes these criticisms, but please don’t let the facts get in the way of having a moan.

• @LX1 said:

@micra said:
    Difference between Oxford United and Dire Straits?

I cannot think of anything haha!

Oxford may be in dire straits (at least when we play them) but you can’t beat Dire Straits (well you can of course but that’s what I think whenever I hear them).