Skip to content

Phil heading up Wycombe TV

Comments

• @Malone said:
    20% of our merchandise being sold abroad is quite something!

Indeed.

• @PBo said:

@Malone said:
    20% of our merchandise being sold abroad is quite something!

Does that include sales to residents of Vipienne, though?

This was merchandise, which I wouldn't think game passes comes under.

I hope not anyway, or the "80" countries we're boasting about coverage in, might actually be 5, and 75 creatively set up UK people :D

• I hear we're huge in Finland and the Czech Republic

• @aloysius said:
    I'll just add my usual depressive note of pessimism here. Phil is a brilliant commentator but in my view commentators should be neutral, even if it's just a veneer of neutrality. I cannot see how 3CR can continue to serve its audience using Phil, though I doubt that is the plan anyway if he's switched employers. Hopefully they make Sam Avery their full time Wycombe commentator as he's also very good (as well as being a fan, I think).

As for Wycombe TV, let's see how plans develop with Phil's creativity at the helm. I'm sure there will be plenty of good content for the obsessives - but something tells me it won't come cheap.

Well one of the main reasons for my liking of Phil as a commentator is his neutrality. If we are playing ? he says so. He commentates as he sees not saying what he thinks his audience wants to hear.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I hear we're huge in Finland and the Czech Republic

Interesting, considering the reputation we have for our games having a late Finnish.

• @Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Interesting, considering the reputation we have for our games having a late Finnish.

I'm not sure that's true. I'd have to Czech the stats.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Shev said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I'm not sure that's true. I'd have to Czech the stats.

Probably correct now that Rob is signing so many Czechs

• @TwinBrother said:
    Phil is a big Madness fan, so I will be disappointed if the Intro music isn't 'House of Fun'.

Three cheers for the blue skinned beast

@TwinBrother said:
    Phil is a big Madness fan, so I will be disappointed if the Intro music isn't 'House of Fun'.

I like a bit of night boat to Cairo myself

• edited January 2022

Guess that answers some of the questions I think his thread.

Phil, my one ask is to keep the objectiveness you have shown and the bbc probably try and demand through the 3CR broadcasts.

My concern is that it will naturally be lost if your pay comes from the people you’re trying to be objective against!

• Do we know what Freeview channel it'll be on yet?

I'm assuming it'll be something like 90 +8, or you'll miss the all important last couple of minutes each week. ??

• He was never going to stay doing his day job, bizarre anyone thought he would.

This is a proper full time big position he's taking on. Basically fronting a new channel! He'll have his work cut out, but I suspect he will love it!

• Not sure about that @Malone. Leaving the security of the BBC for a risky new venture is a big risk. i'm glad to have him on board but i'm not sure it was inevitable.

• edited January 2022

Is there going to be Wycombe Fan TV? Gasroom posters with their faces blurred out and voices altered to maintain anonymity.

• @floyd said:
    Not sure about that @Malone. Leaving the security of the BBC for a risky new venture is a big risk. i'm glad to have him on board but i'm not sure it was inevitable.

I think it shows how big a venture this is, no doubt rewarded with a big pay increase, and the big perk for Phil is he can be 100% full time Wycombe now, as I'm not 100% what he was doing the rest of his week. But he definitely put a lot of Wycombe work in on his own free time, which can be absorbed into this.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Is there going to be Wycombe Fan TV? Gasroom posters with their faces blurred out and voices altered to maintain anonymity.

Oh hell yeah, could you imagine some of the more snipey fans risking showing their faces :D

• I do hope RTBs continues in its current format though.

• @MorrisItal_ said:

@TwinBrother said:

@TwinBrother said:

I bet you have Mad Not Mad too.....

• Not sure about that @Malone. Leaving the security of the BBC for a risky new venture is a big risk. i'm glad to have him on board but i'm not sure it was inevitable.> @Malone said:

@floyd said:
    Not sure about that @Malone. Leaving the security of the BBC for a risky new venture is a big risk. i'm glad to have him on board but i'm not sure it was inevitable.

I think it shows how big a venture this is, no doubt rewarded with a big pay increase, and the big perk for Phil is he can be 100% full time Wycombe now, as I'm not 100% what he was doing the rest of his week. But he definitely put a lot of Wycombe work in on his own free time, which can be absorbed into this.

Not without its rewards for Phil, but very high risk too.

• @TwinBrother said:

@MorrisItal_ said:

@TwinBrother said:

@TwinBrother said:

I bet you have Mad Not Mad too.....

I tell him I’m the product of a broken home and I always went out on my own was it too late to say I’d pay and I’ll never steal again till the end of my days..

While Mike Ashley was at Burnham Grammar preparing himself for the life of a multi millionaire, On the other side of Burnham park in a rather run down Burnham secondary school I was memorising Madness songs and perfecting the nutty dance.

• Can't think of a better appointment. Phil understands what being a supporter means. He also happens to be an exceptional communicator. I am sure Wycombe TV will have some fabulous content. Sadly his employers don't 'get it' and having to pay through the nose will restrict the audience somewhat.

• Mistook you for glasshalffull there for a second (always a quick double check), and especially for the first line.

But the last sentence quickly put me right!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

And the Mexican fella doing the voiceover?

• Is there that much security at the BBC these days? A lot of good journalists seem to be on their bikes, cost-cutting and the spectre of Dorries lining up another attack as part of ‘Operation Save Big Dog’.

Phil’s a class act. He’ll do the business for sure. Delighted for him.

• I’ll be one of the first to subscribe….can’t wait!!

• Phil is the perfect appointment for this new role and with Matt Cecil in charge of our media team we are fortunate to have two of the very best in the business in their respective jobs. Things have improved beyond expectations both on and off the field and these truly are great times to be a Wycombe fan.

• Phil and Matt both appreciate what Wycombe Wanderers means to the community and that is more important than anything.

• @aloysius said:
    I'll just add my usual depressive note of pessimism here. Phil is a brilliant commentator but in my view commentators should be neutral, even if it's just a veneer of neutrality. I cannot see how 3CR can continue to serve its audience using Phil, though I doubt that is the plan anyway if he's switched employers. Hopefully they make Sam Avery their full time Wycombe commentator as he's also very good (as well as being a fan, I think).

As for Wycombe TV, let's see how plans develop with Phil's creativity at the helm. I'm sure there will be plenty of good content for the obsessives - but something tells me it won't come cheap.

Phil is a fan. He is aligned with the club professionally (now employed) but always aligned. Last season when we were getting taken to the cleaners early on he managed to describe an honest view of what was there for all to see. We are not idiots, if we get hammered and Phil were to say 'well lots of positives to take away there' he would lose creditability and the product of Wycombe TV would lose credibility.

• Rob Couhig is a honest straight talker himself. I can hardly see him coercing Phil into compromising his professional integrity by making him tell fans there's lots of positives after a thumping against Newcastle next season, nor could I see Phil going along with it.

People trying to pre-emptively find negatives in this situation need to cheer up.

• Rob does have history though, with the whole don’t mention firsts and don’t complain about refereeing decisions thing.

• @Chris said:
    Rob does have history though, with the whole don’t mention firsts and don’t complain about refereeing decisions thing.

We're not mugs, and Rob knows it. If Wycombe TV were to become a propaganda channel and Phil has to dress like

it will fail. Simple as that