Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Does seem to be a massive focus from some on what others say and think about Wycombe. No idea why some get so so angry. Wycombe are finally becoming a team others care about and worry about.
    Also there is no way of being anything other than a little biased on any view on our club. Other teams are allowed to be the same aren’t they?

The in match abuse to others sides does nothing to cheer your own team on but is slowly taking over the in game noise.

• @Quarterman said:
    Watched a replay of the game on iFollow and feel pretty similar. We didn’t play brilliant with the ball but a thoroughly professional, streetwise, hard working and physically strong performance. We were well ahead of Oxford in those areas. We have a huge edge psychologically over then and I’d be confident of beating them in the play offs.

I listened to the Oxford commentary over the game. It was genuinely embarrassing listening to them both complain and bicker over the way Wycombe played. At times even sounding condescending and bitter about the fact Wycombe had the audacity to block shots so well, as if defending wasn’t actually part of the game, absolutely pathetic.

They were like that on BBC Oxford after the play-off final. Mine and my mate's sides were splitting with just how bitter they were that the ref didn't declare them to be the winner by default because they had nice possession stats and didn't score a goal from a set piece. As others are saying, let them keep up their persecution complex. We always have an edge over Plymouth because they start frothing at the mouth a good two weeks before we even kick off, Oxford are quickly heading in that direction too.

• I have to say that anyone thinking of going to watch for the first time who happens to read all this stuff will be thoroughly put off.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    He is the master of deflection...

As for the bloke in the family stand, he just lightly bumped into their player without breaking stride as he walked past - silly, maybe, but quite funny.

From my vantage point the bloke in the family stand would have got a yellow card if that had happened on the pitch. I thought he should have been carted out rather than the friendly talking to he got from the steward. If he’d done it to me I’m not sure I would have been as tolerant as the Oxford guy.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@bigred87 said:
    As bad as the homophobia was, it must be said the Oxford fans applauded in the 29th minute as did the Oxford player taking the throw in, he put the ball on the floor and made a point to the rest to applaud and they followed! Touching moment.

Really good gesture by their player. One of those moments where football shows it real heart. But did I see the referee signal that he had to play on?

I thought the ref had slowed it down rather than the player, but either way it was a great gesture.

I was almost half hoping we didn't score as it would have taken away from the applause!

• @Malone said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@bigred87 said:
    As bad as the homophobia was, it must be said the Oxford fans applauded in the 29th minute as did the Oxford player taking the throw in, he put the ball on the floor and made a point to the rest to applaud and they followed! Touching moment.

Really good gesture by their player. One of those moments where football shows it real heart. But did I see the referee signal that he had to play on?

I thought the ref had slowed it down rather than the player, but either way it was a great gesture.

I was almost half hoping we didn't score as it would have taken away from the applause!

I also thought the ref slowed down the throw in as a mark of respect.

• The ref waited for the applause before letting Sunderland take a free-kick as well

• Quality reffing I think.

• I’d really like to see our club/players come out and condemn our fans for the sex offender/paedo chants yesterday as well.
    Even if there is any truth in this, which I’m not aware of there being any, then I’d hope we’d not sink to those levels.

• Just a point of note & this isn’t a criticism of Anis btw, but what a wonderful headed pass to Curtis from Jordan for his goal. Now compare that to Anis when he was in the same position a few minutes earlier, therein lies the difference in experience.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    Just a point of note & this isn’t a criticism of Anis btw, but what a wonderful headed pass to Curtis from Jordan for his goal. Now compare that to Anis when he was in the same position a few minutes earlier, therein lies the difference in experience.

It was a beauty, wasn't it!

• @Commoner said:
    I’d really like to see our club/players come out and condemn our fans for the sex offender/paedo chants yesterday as well.
    Even if there is any truth in this, which I’m not aware of there being any, then I’d hope we’d not sink to those levels.

Fans are just notorious copy cats is the problem.

We've started adopting that song City sang, the Beautiful's South's Rotterdam I noticed too.

So many other clubs are constantly on about sex offenders, but i'm sure it'll bore off and then our copy cats will stop too.

• @Commoner said:
    I’d really like to see our club/players come out and condemn our fans for the sex offender/paedo chants yesterday as well.

Absolutely, there was a significant volume and duration to the chants aimed at Taylor. Totally not necessary and belittles those chanting rather than the target in my view.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    This is superb

I don’t think a mere “like” is enough for this.

• This is the greatest thing i've ever seen.

• Up there with JJ's away at Cheltenham.

• edited January 2022

With this team, Mr Ainsworth, you really are spoiling us! Wasn't our performance yesterday just fabulous? The confidence of our team was a joy to behold. There was a real swagger as they swotted the PNL's away, lulling them into a false sense of security by allowing them to indulge in their tippy-tappy going nowhere football and then showing them what a real football team is all about.

Team is the word too. Ainsworth builds a team, nourishes it and they play together. Praising individuals feels incongruous in the circumstances but what a sensational performance from Brandon Hanlan yesterday. He always looked like he was going to score that goal.

There is so much quality in our team, so much belief and so much heart. This is the best team we've ever had. Returning to the Championship feels as absurd as getting there in the first place but this team can do it and you can see they really believe they can do it. Well, it kinda makes you smile doesn't it?

• That lot really have form for ending up looking stupid in videos. There’s that great one of them celebrating their FA Cup comeback as we go up the other end and score the winner, and now this.

So good.

• @Malone said:
    Up there with JJ's away at Cheltenham.

The Cheltenham fans did at least see the funny side of that one

• .> @Commoner said:

Wow! I did not notice any from our lot but if true that is disgraceful and very disappointing. One of the things that I am proud of at Adams Park is the lack of that sort of stuff on the whole.

• @Wendoverman said:
    .> @Commoner said:

Wow! I did not notice any from our lot but if true that is disgraceful and very disappointing. One of the things that I am proud of at Adams Park is the lack of that sort of stuff on the whole.

There were quite a few Adam Johnson comments last week v Sunderland. Can't remember hearing anything yesterday

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:
    .> @Commoner said:

There were quite a few Adam Johnson comments last week v Sunderland. Can't remember hearing anything yesterday

Really? Gawd my woolly hat must be too thick as I heard none of that!

• edited January 2022

Some Sunderland fans were also chanting about him apparently. It beggars belief.

• @arnos_grove said:
    That lot really have form for ending up looking stupid in videos. There’s that great one of them celebrating their FA Cup comeback as we go up the other end and score the winner, and now this.

So good.

I was looking for that clip on YouTube last week but couldn’t find it. Did you have any luck?

• edited January 2022

@floyd said:

@arnos_grove said:
    That lot really have form for ending up looking stupid in videos. There’s that great one of them celebrating their FA Cup comeback as we go up the other end and score the winner, and now this.

So good.

I was looking for that clip on YouTube last week but couldn’t find it. Did you have any luck?

Enjoy!

• I've only just seen these comments from Karl Robinson:

“You see the fireworks they put off afterwards – it just shows we’re a better team than maybe we think when you see the reaction of opposition teams when they beat us.”

?????