Skip to content

Phil heading up Wycombe TV

Saw a video on iFollow with Rob and Phil this morning, apologies if covered elsewhere, but sounds like Phil will be heading up Wycombe TV!

Huge congrats Phil!

Comments

• Great news but hope he can continue to provide 3CR commentary for our games. A real asset and deserving of bigger things.

• Congrats @bluntphil , well deserved.

• I didn't know this when I talked to him before the match yesterday. I hope it's true and that we can keep his magnificent commentary.

• Announce Catchpole

• Deserves a yellow and black transfer news gif

• Great news!

• No brainer, Phil is a legend

• Phil is a big Madness fan, so I will be disappointed if the Intro music isn't 'House of Fun'.

• This is excellent news.

• Great news congratulations @bluntphil. Hoping as a passionate fan you will have freedom, within reason of course, to work it from a fan’s perspective

• @Mandown said:
    Great news congratulations @bluntphil. Hoping as a passionate fan you will have freedom, within reason of course, to work it from a fan’s perspective

Congratulations Phil! This is great news, as long as @mandown says you keep your independence as much as is possible!

• Congratulations @bluntphil. As a mostly exiled fan (although yesterday was my 3rd game back after 5 years away through illness) you are a huge part of my feeling of continued connection to the club. You’ve done a brilliant job and thoroughly deserve this opportunity. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store for us with WycombeTV!

• A very talented addition to the club. Excited to see what will follow in terms of content.

Really hope that the cynical thought in the back of my head about the club bring the most prominent independent voice in house isn’t going to mute what I see as Phil’s biggest strength.

Pretty sure Bayo will be announced as a part time side kick in due course too.

• I expect we’ll see a lot of Bayo on Wycombe TV, especially as we approach the end of the season, but I think if Bayo comes back in a non playing role, it’ll still be on the football side with some sort of coaching / mentoring responsibility rather than any part-time hosting role on our media platform.

• @Mandown said:
    Great news congratulations @bluntphil. Hoping as a passionate fan you will have freedom, within reason of course, to work it from a fan’s perspective

it’s one thing to be said in a comment before this new role has even kicked off, and quite another as to how this all pans out in the cold light of reality, but Rob Couhig actually alludes to this in the video from the above Tweet, he says something along the lines of Phil C being expected to be supportive where it’s due but also critical when needed.

We’ll see, but regardless, congratulations on a well-deserved appointment.

• As long as Phil can continue to operate with the freedom to ask difficult questions, it’s a great appointment. Our media team is stellar and this will only strengthen it.

• Waiting to be convinced about Wycombe TV but great news and congratulations @bluntphil

• Excellent news. Hopefully he can keep some independence to challenge and ask the difficult questions, the fans would like to ask. The move to having Wycombe TV shows how far our club has come in the last couple of years under the stewardship of the Couhigs.

• I expect Rob's weighing up a bid for the Gasroom

Hope @drcongo holds out for a good deal

• I'll just add my usual depressive note of pessimism here. Phil is a brilliant commentator but in my view commentators should be neutral, even if it's just a veneer of neutrality. I cannot see how 3CR can continue to serve its audience using Phil, though I doubt that is the plan anyway if he's switched employers. Hopefully they make Sam Avery their full time Wycombe commentator as he's also very good (as well as being a fan, I think).

As for Wycombe TV, let's see how plans develop with Phil's creativity at the helm. I'm sure there will be plenty of good content for the obsessives - but something tells me it won't come cheap.

• @eric_plant said:
    I expect Rob's weighing up a bid for the Gasroom

Hope @drcongo holds out for a good deal

uh-oh

The seeds of schism are being sown, before you know it there’ll be an Official Wycombe Wanderers Supporters Gasroom and a Wycombe Wanderers Independent Supporters’ Gasroom

• Hopefully we'll still be able to buy one-off match passes, but I'm not expecting it.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Hopefully we'll still be able to buy one-off match passes, but I'm not expecting it.

Same here, I am quite concerned about what WTV is going to offer. IFollow isn’t perfect, but it’s a good service for what it is.

• There’s no one better for the role than Phil and he fully deserves it.

As with any change, I have some concerns over whether things will get better with the introduction of Wycombe TV.

• So is the new Wycombe TV going to cover away games? I thought it was only home matches.

• Well done @bluntphil - huge relief that you will still be the voice of the Chairboys!

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    So is the new Wycombe TV going to cover away games? I thought it was only home matches.

They’ll use the iFollow feed for away games.

• 20% of our merchandise being sold abroad is quite something!

• @Malone said:
    20% of our merchandise being sold abroad is quite something!

Does that include sales to residents of Vipienne, though?