Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:
    These are the poor lambs who chanted : Gareth Ainsworth is a sex offender...and made homophobic remarks? Glad we beat them so comprehensively.

Chanted the same about Bayo didn't they? Maybe the same song. Vile either way.

• We also celebrated winning the game. Tinpot.

• anyone know the official attendance for the game today , sure I heard 8000 or something?

• 8,005 I think they announced

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:
    These are the poor lambs who chanted : Gareth Ainsworth is a sex offender...and made homophobic remarks? Glad we beat them so comprehensively.

Just FYI there were a large group in the terrace today chanting the same thing repeatedly about Matty Taylor today (not excusing the Oxford fans of course, but our idiots were on show too).

• I agree with all (pretty much) above but I'd like to point out that from my perspective in the FA |Block Q, the majority of Oxford fans joined in the applause for Alana. Every club have their idiots but as always, the silent majority are just fans like us. Respect everyone (well almost!).

• @Brownie said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

Just FYI there were a large group in the terrace today chanting the same thing repeatedly about Matty Taylor today (not excusing the Oxford fans of course, but our idiots were on show too).

Very weird obsession football fans seem to have with calling people 'nonce' and the like

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Brownie said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

Very weird obsession football fans seem to have with calling people 'nonce' and the like

There were those who embarrassingly insisted on wheeling out songs about Adam Johnson when we play Sunderland, last I checked he's had nothing to do with them for over five years.

• @ReadingMarginalista said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Brownie said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

@Wendoverman said:

There were those who embarrassingly insisted on wheeling out songs about Adam Johnson when we play Sunderland, last I checked he's had nothing to do with them for over five years.

Sunderland fans were at it too apparently. All extremely odd to say the least.

• I don't condone running on the pitch in any way, but putting that BFP article together with witnessing his behaviour as he was being led away suggests to me that he may have a few issues

• The line from Oxford seems to.be 'They beat us but the football is awful and their fans are so used to it they think it is entertaining.'

• And I thought that whining sound was something wrong with the pylon behind their stand

• @mooneyman said:
    We don't need Uche. Any money we have would be better spent elsewhere.

Uche is a cut above anyone in our squad and the best striker I can ever remember having permanently at the club. If we can reasonably get someone of that quality with a potential Championship season coming up, why an earth wouldn't we? Vokes is out of contract in the summer (although we can obviously extend), and whilst Tjay De Barr is raw with plenty of potential, he isn't exactly what you want to bring on late into a game.

• As bad as the homophobia was, it must be said the Oxford fans applauded in the 29th minute as did the Oxford player taking the throw in, he put the ball on the floor and made a point to the rest to applaud and they followed! Touching moment.

• As an aside, was it just me, but there seemed to be 4 or 5 times in the game when we took the throw in about 10 yards back from where it should have been?

Just seemed strange to me

• edited January 2022

Vokes is a better striker than Uche and I'd say attack is the area of least priority at the moment. Obviously Uche is a great player, but I think Hanlan could become even better than him - he's two years younger.

• Vokes, Uche and Hanlan are all quite different strikers so it’s irrelevant to say who is the best between them. They all have different attributes and are excellent players. Those 3 along with TJ and Al-Hamadi would be great for the Championship, and might be possible if we go up, but I just don’t see it in League 1 as all 3 would have to start in League 1 given their quality and all just 3 can’t start together. If we go up, I’d do a lot to get Uche back but certainly not in place of Vokes, but in addition to extending Vokes’ contract.

Depends on injury statuses but for me the main area we need to strengthen the squad is Centre back. Also, losing Obita would be a huge problem but I still Horgan could do an excellent job there I’d given a run of games should Obita be injured (hopefully not).

• I watched the goals back with the Oxford commentary for a laugh.

Thompson chests down and volleys in a goal of the month contender..."Wycombe score from a corner - of course!"

You could not make it up.

• @Quarterman said:
    Vokes, Uche and Hanlan are all quite different strikers so it’s irrelevant to say who is the best between them. They all have different attributes and are excellent players. Those 3 along with TJ and Al-Hamadi would be great for the Championship, and might be possible if we go up, but I just don’t see it in League 1 as all 3 would have to start in League 1 given their quality and all just 3 can’t start together. If we go up, I’d do a lot to get Uche back but certainly not in place of Vokes, but in addition to extending Vokes’ contract.

Depends on injury statuses but for me the main area we need to strengthen the squad is Centre back. Also, losing Obita would be a huge problem but I still Horgan could do an excellent job there I’d given a run of games should Obita be injured (hopefully not).

They may be different but there is little debate that Uche Ikpeazu could quite easily score twenty goals a season in League One or the Championship with our tactics. With Vokes and Hanlan that is very unlikely.

So what's the difference between having all three in the Championship compared to League One? Why would they all have to start? Is competition for places is not a good thing, particularly when you're bringing an addition to the group who has worked successfully with it before.

• I think Uche is an excellent player and one we should go after if we go up. However, for now I would like us to get a CB and left wing back cover via two good loan signings. I realise we have some real good prospects in our development squad but if we can strengthen to underpin our challenge then they are true two positions I would go for right now.

• If you can get Uche, and it doesn't break the bank, surely you do it.
    You can't always choose the order quality players become available.

People were worried yesterday with Vokes out for one game. Imagine either of the forwards are out for a few games.
    Don't think we will bring Uche in, not in league one, but would be odd to turn it down if possible. Especially on loan.

• @bigred87 said:
    As bad as the homophobia was, it must be said the Oxford fans applauded in the 29th minute as did the Oxford player taking the throw in, he put the ball on the floor and made a point to the rest to applaud and they followed! Touching moment.

Really good gesture by their player. One of those moments where football shows it real heart. But did I see the referee signal that he had to play on?

• @Shev said:
    I watched the goals back with the Oxford commentary for a laugh.

Thompson chests down and volleys in a goal of the month contender..."Wycombe score from a corner - of course!"

To paraphrase a BBC Oxford commentator, "You do not sulk in the press box, Sir".

• @Shev said:

Just an odd thing to say anyway, as if scoring lots of goals from corners is a bad thing

• @DJWYC14 said:
    For me, that was up there with the all time top centre forward performances today from a Wycombe player - Hanlan was unreal particularly second half.

So good to see over 8,000 packing into Adams Park. These are great times.

Yeah was great to see the big stand packed.Not seen that for a while.Hopefully those fans come back for more after seeing yesterday's match.Was a good one ?

• Kabonga Tshimanga of Chesterfield could be an alternative to Uche but massive interest in a player who is leading goalscorer in the National League and has huge potential.
    From what I have read the lad is also very humble and a real decent person as well.

• How’s that big lad from non-league that Man City were supposed to be looking at got on this year?

• @eric_plant said:

@Shev said:

Just an odd thing to say anyway, as if scoring lots of goals from corners is a bad thing

Not, I believe, to be read as a criticism of us but of their own tendency to concede from set pieces, judging by comments on their forum.

• Ah, got it. That does make more sense!