Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Winall seems a poor choice of name for an Oxford player.

• Today for me was a classic Wycombe vs Oxford game.

Wycombe giving absolutely everything, winning their 1-on-1 duals all over the pitch.

And then Oxford playing nice football, but devoid of any cutting edge, desire or physicality. They were still knocking the ball around their back line 2-0 down in the 89th minute.

In the recent years, I’ve not seen a shred of improvement or evolution from Oxford. I know we get criticised for being one-paced, but Oxford haven’t changed now for a few years. We seem to have a mental advantage over them due to their player’s attitude.

They can criticise our approach as much as they like, but they could do with a bit more Wycombe-isation.

Rant over.

On the plus side, thought Thompson, Obita and Hanlan were excellent today. If we don’t have Vokes next year (I love him btw) Hanlan could be a 15-20 goal a season man.

• Unbelievable if that is the sole reason!
    Certainly their loss. Obita too!

• I'm beginning to worry a savvy Champ club might put a bid in for Hanlan this month

• @eric_plant said:
    Here's what I noticed at the end. With Wycombe, you know we keep going and going and if we need a goal you just think we're going to get it, somehow.

Oxford's players' heads were down, they were beaten long before injury time, and they just wanted the game to end.

The contrast is stunning, and we are very lucky indeed to support who we support.

Amen

• I have to agree about the 7 minutes of injury time. If that was us I’d be sitting back and thinking ‘well 3 goals might be a stretch but we’re good for 2’. They just seemed to want to see the fireworks- and they were very good by the way.

• The weird thing is they continually played long balls up to Taylor who didn’t get a look in.
    Oxford long ball tactics - glad I don’t watch that every week ?

• That felt like the performance of a team that is on course for promotion. Very assured and we made it look fairly comfortable at 2-0.

Really committed defending all over the pitch, including the front 3 who worked hard off the ball as well as on it.

I was a bit worried in December after a couple of disappointing performances but we’ve been excellent so far in Jan. 7 pts from the 3 games so far is excellent.

• edited January 2022

First 15 they were excellent and could have been almost out of sight - from then on we controlled the game. They're a good side (we're a great side), but there is clearly an attitude problem.

• Must say that Hanlan is quick becoming a real Wycombe legend.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm beginning to worry a savvy Champ club might put a bid in for Hanlan this month

Is there a rule saying you can't play for 3 teams in 1 season?

• edited January 2022

Reading their forum, as well as some dodgy chanting, there's references of breaking seats, chucking them at some innocent woman, standing in the aisles blocking kids viewing, and then getting abusive at anyone complaining.
    And one mention of someone shoving someone down the steps.

And on fb one guy says his son was set upon by 20 Oxford fans.

Doesn't sound like a great day's work if all of that is true!

• Really professional and hardworking performance today. Defended really well against a decent side and attacked with purpose, particularly in the first 20 minutes of the second half when I thought we were excellent.

We did miss Vokes but Hanlan was absolutely brilliant today, especially second half - he was superb. Also have to say Grimmer was excellent today, without a target man we used Grimmer a lot as a target and he won so much in the air. We looked a lot more solid with Thompson and Scowen together in the midfield today, although I’m not sure how we’ll fit all of these cracking players in the team!

Generally, we just have a great team of hard working and talented footballers, and really good people.Well done all and enjoy some rest now before our trip up to Morecambe next week.

• edited January 2022

@Quarterman said:

I’m not sure how we’ll fit all of these cracking players in the team!

Superb options.
    Like @ReturnToSenda has said a few times, having Scowen and Thompson in there doesn't half solidify that centre.
    But you'd have to go to a back 4 to get everyone of the magical 4 attackers in.

Great possibilities, and plenty of games to work them out.

• @Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm beginning to worry a savvy Champ club might put a bid in for Hanlan this month

I thought it was a max of 3?

• @ReturnToSenda said:

@Malone said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I thought it was a max of 3?

No idea. Knew there was some sort of rule, but if it is 3 that's safe then.
    Although presumably that doesn't include loans? Or does it?

There must be players who are repeatedly farmed out.

• I'm just gonna hope you're right as I cba to look it up

• Really can’t see us selling Hanlan unless it is a crazy offer. He is so important to our season it would be madness to let him go unless someone offers £1 million plus.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm just gonna hope you're right as I cba to look it up

I found this
    Players may be registered for a maximum of three clubs during the period from 1 July until 30 June of the following year. During this period, the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two clubs.

But also found this saying 3 players, but in 20-21
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8411575/Players-allowed-play-THREE-clubs-one-season-2020-21-campaign.html

So I'd assume that's been kept on and it's 3.

• I must admit I thought that without the physical (and no doubt) verbal support of Vokes Brandon would struggle. He was immense. Physically they simply could not deal with him. The loan striker role is so difficult to play and is thankless but with the ball played up to him quickly it’s incredible how rapidly the young GMac (don’t give me this bollox he’s 34 - no chance) and Mehmeti get right up with him in a flash.

And then we start to tire a bit - oh here comes David Wheeler. We need a bit more energy and to hold the ball up - here comes Daryl Horgan. Let’s close down their defenders and put them under pressure from the front - hey TJ go do your thing.

Life is sweet. Drink it in

• @Glenactico said:
    we’ve been excellent so far in Jan. 7 pts from the 3 games so far is excellent.

10 points from 4 games - even better.

• Win our next two and we'll be going along at 2 PPG

• A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon, despite some ugly moments in the stands (and the pitch invader).

We were immense from front to back with Hanlan putting in an unreal shift in the second half, capping his performance with a fine goal.

Big thanks to Missy Couhig, for taking 5 minutes out in the club shop to gee up my five-year-old and talk about the toy dinosaur he’d brought with him. A really nice touch.

It was always going to be a tense and emotional day (the tributes all round to Alana were fantastic) and the Chairboys produced a memorable result. You cannot buy class and our club has that in abundance.

• According to the PNLs forum seats were broken perhaps there should be an agreement among clubs that the visitors pick up the bill for any tantrums

• Any decent club would pay for the damages their fans cause.

• A great time to be a Wycombe Wanderers supporter. Enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. Nothing is impossible.

• Another fantastic one from the Oxford forum:

"What a thoroughly unenjoyable day. Elements of that felt like being back in the Conference. Wycombe are embarrassing. Not since the conference have I been to a game where it has felt like the entire opposition - fans, staff and players - has seemed almost more interested in bating, taunting and goading Oxford fans than the actual match. From their pathetic subs smirking and making obscene gestures at fans, to the histrionics of their ludicrous manager and staff on the touch line, to the almost comically inept stewards who couldn’t stop one dickhead running the length of the pitch to wind us up some more (it is DISGRACEFUL that it took two or three of our players putting themselves at risk to grab him and still their slug-headed, cabbage brained stewards were barely ambling onto the pitch), the shoving of Gavin Whyte that nobody seemed to care about, to the shameful antics of McCleary, to the absolutely laughable fireworks display at the end."

• Do they realise that we share the same stewards? Hence we're never at home on the same day. Also, stewards are not security...

• These are the poor lambs who chanted : Gareth Ainsworth is a sex offender...and made homophobic remarks? Glad we beat them so comprehensively.

• Also, obscene gestures from our subs ???