Skip to content

Match day thread: Oxford

Comments

• Just read through the oxford forum, apart from a few idiots I think they finally agree we are a good side. Mentioned that we can actually play football, play to our strengths and defend brilliantly as a team. Also missing vokes showed our style can be more attacking until 2 up and just protected the lead. Finally the pnl give us some credit instead of the usual rubbish.

• Overheard a couple of (sensible-sounding) Oxford fans day they reckon there's a bit of discontent in their dressing room. I have to say Taylor looked quite 'separate' from the rest of the team.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Overheard a couple of (sensible-sounding) Oxford fans day they reckon there's a bit of discontent in their dressing room. I have to say Taylor looked quite 'separate' from the rest of the team.

Karl robinson has made a comment that they spend 35/40 mins in the dressing room post game talking about cohesion.

Suggests they are as together as they could be in and of itself.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Overheard a couple of (sensible-sounding) Oxford fans day they reckon there's a bit of discontent in their dressing room. I have to say Taylor looked quite 'separate' from the rest of the team.

He was utter garbage today. The ref bought none of his usual diving antics and he was second best to Tafazolli and Stewart all game.

• The Yellows forum is hilarious tonight they even think they can sign Anthony Stewart LOL!!

• A real high quality performance, capped by 2 wonderful goals. Had to laugh at the Oxford fans, their chants "boring boring Wycombe" sounded very hollow and without any sort of conviction.

The Oxford fans really did embaress themselves with the homophobic chanting. It was virtually the only thing you could hear from the away end! Top marks to Stocko for reporting it, although perhaps the announcement could have been made earlier, as they were singing it throughout the 1st half.

• @Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Now that tweet may be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Dry your eyes mate.

I'd possibly give him a little bit of license as one he's a kid, and 2...well you'll see if you click on his twitter handle and see his summary.

Good spot. I haven't replied on twitter but it's understandable perhaps that some have.

Easy to see how these false narratives pull in people. Our appearance at the top of the league again should go someway towards people noticing that our promotion was never the weird anomaly some suggested it was. Not that we care too much what fans of other clubs think of us on days like today.

Matchday Experience 10/10 all round

• edited January 2022

'Who's the gay boy in the pink?' was the chant apparently. Pathetic.

• @robin said:
    The Yellows forum is hilarious tonight they even think they can sign Anthony Stewart LOL!!

Yes saw that , deluded

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Extremely proud of how today reflected on us as a club. From the minute's applause for Alana, to the way Stocko reported homophobic abuse, to the thoroughly professional performance by the team. We are special.

Think the pitch invader might blot our copy book a bit. Did seem to be more kiddie morons in the ground today at both ends.

Totally agree on the rest though

• Some good points made by Wheels here. It's saying something when one of the players calls Vokesy an unsung hero!

• @Wycombe85 said:
    A real high quality performance, capped by 2 wonderful goals. Had to laugh at the Oxford fans, their chants "boring boring Wycombe" sounded very hollow and without any sort of conviction.

The Oxford fans really did embaress themselves with the homophobic chanting. It was virtually the only thing you could hear from the away end! Top marks to Stocko for reporting it, although perhaps the announcement could have been made earlier, as they were singing it throughout the 1st half.

Surprised to hear this as I didn't hear a word in the Frank Adams.

But we all know our ground is a mystery of acoustics, with some swearing the atmosphere was brilliant and others claiming it was a library!

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@StrongestTeam said:

Now that tweet may be the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Dry your eyes mate.

I'd possibly give him a little bit of license as one he's a kid, and 2...well you'll see if you click on his twitter handle and see his summary.

Good spot. I haven't replied on twitter but it's understandable perhaps that some have.

Easy to see how these false narratives pull in people. Our appearance at the top of the league again should go someway towards people noticing that our promotion was never the weird anomaly some suggested it was. Not that we care too much what fans of other clubs think of us on days like today.

Matchday Experience 10/10 all round

Always best to focus on supporting our team, and enjoying our success than getting involved with these nay sayers.

Claiming we do something intrinsically wrong against some mythical code of conduct just excuses their own performance. We all know it.

But even the biggest clown can't truly think a team crammed with higher level experience players is some sort of cynical scuffle merchant outfit.

McCleary, Obita, JJ, Mehmeti, Thompson , Scowen all have some superb silkiness to their game.
    The big difference and a tribute to Gaz is that they can do the ugly stuff on top.

• The Sunderland forum on Not606 is even more comical this evening,they want Johson sacked as manager even though they are in 2nd place ffs.

• I know automatic is a big ask with the games in hand around us but if we can keep consolidating our position in the top six it's not entirely out of the question.

• Was the invader one of ours or one of theirs?

• @Wendoverman said:
    I know automatic is a big ask with the games in hand around us but if we can keep consolidating our position in the top six it's not entirely out of the question.

Just win the next game, and take care of our game.
    Wigan are facing some mad congestion.

• What a performance! Particularly as Vokes was missing. It took 20 minutes to adjust without him but from then on there was only one winner.
    I wanted to see this side after Tuesdays night win at Bolton and was not expecting it so soon. It really gives us another option.
    Hanlan was magnificent today, even more so as Vokes was missing. He was my MOTM.
    Let’s hope we can follow this up with a win against Morecambe as that would give us some breathing space for franchise.
    COYB!

• What a team-
    Great goalkeeper.
    Superb defence who really shut out the PNL today.
    Great midfield two in Josh and Curtis and what a goal.
    Mehmeti, McCleary and the relentless Hanlan were brilliant.
    And that was without big Sam who is a proper player.
    We can push on from here and get automatic promotion. COYB!!!!!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2022

@ReturnToSenda said:
    'Who's the gay boy in the pink?' was the chant apparently. Pathetic.

And much more on top of this apparently. I now think I realise what they were rhyming with Akinfenwa in their chant (or attempting to as it doesn't actually rhyme...).

• Today they were firmly put in their place and went back to Oxford knowing the famous Chairboys outplayed them!!!!
    Get in!!! My favourite day of the season so far.

• Did anyone park in the Sands community centre carpark?

Saw a delightful set of Oxford fans wazzing up the other side of the wall.

And one plonker not concentrating parking down the little slope, and banging straight into the car in front of him, doh!

• The moron definitely appeared from the terrace and ran towards the away end, so I'm assuming he's one of "ours".
    However, I don't think it really matters as the club will still have to face the consequences. Fans Idiots entering the field of play are always to be condemned, doesn't matter their age.
    The only negative to what was a brilliant match day experience.

• Did he really come from the terrace? Having been stood there myself, I have to say I never noticed if that was so. What an absolute dolt he was. Have to say, there seemed a ready supply of them on the terrace today.

That aside, what a fantastic day. By some margin, my favourite match of the season.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Sam Winall warming up on the touchline today, knocked the ball to JJ, said "that's the only touch I'll get today", think Robinson is in trouble with some senior players unhappy

• edited January 2022

For me, that was up there with the all time top centre forward performances today from a Wycombe player - Hanlan was unreal particularly second half.

So good to see over 8,000 packing into Adams Park. These are great times.

• 52 points on the board

We are staying up!

• Here's what I noticed at the end. With Wycombe, you know we keep going and going and if we need a goal you just think we're going to get it, somehow.

Oxford's players' heads were down, they were beaten long before injury time, and they just wanted the game to end.

The contrast is stunning, and we are very lucky indeed to support who we support.