Skip to content

The Wycombe wannabe kit thread

Sparked by the post from @floyd on the Oxford match thread, re. WBA fans calling QPR a "crap Wycombe Wanderers" over their choice in commemorative kit...

this thread is for all the other imitators there may have been, from Arsenal:

to Kawasaki Frontale.

Comments

• Bishop Auckland play in light and dark blue quarters, don't they?

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Bishop Auckland play in light and dark blue quarters, don't they?

even made by O'Neills..."imitation is the sincerest form of etc"

• St Neots Town

• There’s light and dark blue on this Oxford shirt isn’t there?

• edited January 2022

@drcongo said:

St Neots Town

I work in St Neots regularly. I’m going to have to check this one out.

• @PBo said:
    Sparked by the post from @floyd on the Oxford match thread, re. WBA fans calling QPR a "crap Wycombe Wanderers" over their choice in commemorative kit

to Kawasaki Frontale.

Kawasaki Frontale are the Liverpool of the 'J' League - title winners in four of the last six years and one of the richest clubs in Japan. Pleased to have them following in our footsteps. They are quite serious - perhaps we should have a friendly on our world tour.

• edited January 2022

Croydon FC, who we played around 20 times in the Isthmian League during the 70s and 80s.

• Looks like a young David Wheeler in the middle there!

• What's Martin Keown doing there? (front left)

• edited January 2022

Photo06_1

Our away Vauxhall-Opel (Isthmian) League game against Croydon on January 3rd 1987, with them wearing a kit similar to ours in the 70s (complete with yellow numbers).

We lost 1-0 in front of a crowd of 458.

• There's so much to enjoy in this picture. What's happening in the net?

• Photo18_3

Away at VS Rugby in the FA Trophy on February 2nd 1991. We won 1-0 with a goal from Westie. Attendance 1,835. VS Rugby doing their best 80s Chairboys impression.

• Those are some serious floodlights

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Those are some serious floodlights

Wonder if they could dance like ours?

• @NewburyWanderer said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Those are some serious floodlights

Wonder if they could dance like ours?

Having said that, I think the stretching of the photo might have made them look more impressive then they are!

• @LX1 said:
    There's so much to enjoy in this picture. What's happening in the net?

The picture might be enjoyable (thanks), the day itself certainly wasn't. We conceded an early goal, then Westie got himself sent off, and our run of 12 straight League wins was over.

• Was Croydon an athletics stadium?

• @LX1 said:
    Was Croydon an athletics stadium?

Yes. One stand, on the finishing straight, and grass bank around the rest, as I recall.

• @NewburyWanderer said:

@LX1 said:
    There's so much to enjoy in this picture. What's happening in the net?

The picture might be enjoyable (thanks), the day itself certainly wasn't. We conceded an early goal, then Westie got himself sent off, and our run of 12 straight League wins was over.

The referee was nearly strangled by a well known Loakes Park terrace regular.
    The ex firemen was king of the ranters, in his long black overcoat.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    Photo06_1

Our away Vauxhall-Opel (Isthmian) League game against Croydon on January 3rd 1987, with them wearing a kit similar to ours in the 70s (complete with yellow numbers).

We lost 1-0 in front of a crowd of 458.

All the pictures in this thread are interesting and in many different ways. This one has so much going on, from the mighty (unassisted) leap by the goalkeeper towards a wraithlike ball (already punched, perhaps) to the bog-like state of the pitch. And do referees normally stand alongside the goal behind the bye-line at corners?

References to Mark West in this thread prompted me to google him. I was trying to think how old he must be now, having first seen and admired him playing as a 15 year-old for Wycombe Schoolboys when they won the English Schools Shield (?) nearly 50 years ago (?). That search led me to the Thame United website. Fascinated to see the group of clubs which make up Southern League Division One Central, including FC ?? Romania and one or two that we played against in non-league days.

In the context of our tendency in recent seasons to play very few pre-season Friendlies, I was surprised to see that Thame played eight last summer and a further two were postponed (cancelled probably more accurate).

Have to confess that the title of this thread puzzled and deterred me for three days but there wasn’t much to dip into this morning, so here I am, very pleasantly surprised!
    I think if the heading had been, for example, “So many clubs sporting Wycombe colours”, I would have been drawn in much sooner.

• From what I remember I stood near the front door of the bar behind one of the goals (so miles away) second half for that game. In my head I’m sure I can see myself watching the game with a pint in hand but I’m sure that can’t be right.

I do remember the mood after the game lifting ehen I was inside the bar when we found out Yeovil had also lost (I think) but seem to remember something more to it than that?

• @LX1 said:

Truly awful place to watch football, they simply seemed to have no supporters.

• @bookertease said:
    From what I remember I stood near the front door of the bar behind one of the goals (so miles away) second half for that game. In my head I’m sure I can see myself watching the game with a pint in hand but I’m sure that can’t be right.

I do remember the mood after the game lifting ehen I was inside the bar when we found out Yeovil had also lost (I think) but seem to remember something more to it than that?

Might have been that the Yeovil manager Gerry Gow resigned that evening.

• @ChasHarps said:

@LX1 said:

Truly awful place to watch football, they simply seemed to have no supporters.

Only time I remember them having more than a handful of fans was for our first visit there in the FA Cup, 1975. Seem to remember a gang of skinhead types in what seemed like white butchers coats charging at some Wycombe fans, who promptly did a runner themselves.

• I saw this one on my first visit to a German supermarket. I had no intention of buying any oats, but I was more tempted than usual

• (> @NewburyWanderer said:

@bookertease said:
    From what I remember I stood near the front door of the bar behind one of the goals (so miles away) second half for that game. In my head I’m sure I can see myself watching the game with a pint in hand but I’m sure that can’t be right.

Might have been that the Yeovil manager Gerry Gow resigned that evening.

That’s it!! Thanks. I knew there was something

• A pale imitation. She did her best.