Skip to content

Man of the Match - Oxford (H)

Fantastic, but who was best?

Poll not found

Comments

• Thommo by a nose from Hanlan and Scowen

• I went Thommo but could have been anyone. Another great team performance.

• Thomo but Hanlan or Scowen very close.

• Listening to commentary, it sounded like a typically wholehearted team effort, making it much more difficult to select a Man of the Match than on Tuesday. As a leading champion of Anis Mehmeti, I was disappointed that it sounded like he flattered to deceive a little today. Garath McCleary, on the other hand, and Brandon Hanlan (in a very different way) sounded their usual impressive selves.
      Fortunately, the absence of Sam Vokes didn’t appear to have the negative effect that some feared.

I notice that Uche Ikpeazu wasn’t in the Middlesbrough squad today. I know that opinion is divided on the possibility of his returning to Adams Park but, with Bayo due to retire in a few months and promotion looking a realistic prospect,

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • Delayed posting. Should have finished with…….

• Really tough decision. Tafazolli was imperious at the back and Thommo and Scowen were everywhere. But Hanlan gets it for me - a defender's nightmare - he goes through them like a tank.

• I went with Scowen, but love the fact some Oxford fans are fantasizing about Stewart in an Oxford shirt on their forum.

• Thought Hanlan, until he scored, was so a little underwhelming but he certainly improved after that.

I went for Taf (for his serenity under pressure) but it was between him JJ (that bit of skill and chutzpah first half still makes me smile) Scowen (he is just so good) and Thommo (I had the perfect view of that arrow of a strike).

Mention too for Stockdale who looked in control all game with bonus point for having the maturity and courage to call out the homophobic chants

• I thought Mehmeti was excellent today

• Good performances across the board.
      Hanlan for me just for the 2nd goal, but McCleary with a superb ball.

Thompson good as ever.

Thought Tafa was decent, and their forum had a couple of comments about Taylor being in his pocket, but I was surprised to see such a short guy outjump Tafa a couple of times.

• edited January 2022

Scowen for me, some great last ditch tackles made the difference but overall THE WHOLE TEAM was man of the match today!

• I went with Hanlan, it certainly didn't look good when we were knocking long balls to him early doors but let's just say he grew into the game.

It was a fabulous precision pass from McCleary that set him up for the second goal, but he had to pick that finish, he couldn't just blast it otherwise the keeper could have saved that.

He must be a patchwork of bruises after every game, since he gets (and gives) no quarter from defenders.

But again, there were many excellent contenders as has been the case in many games this season, surely indicative of the quality we are seeing this campaign.

No-one seems to have gone for McCleary yet, but it would be worth it for the amusement value alone for him getting dog's abuse off the PNLs whilst taking the corner for the first goal, only for us to score seconds later. Hope they enjoyed seeing how it's done, and from the luxury of a fourth stand no less.

• edited January 2022

The only thing Hanlan doesn't have is aerial ability.
      It was noticeable from goal kicks and the like, that we were seeking out Grimmer instead.

When we signed him, to little fanfare, with such a packed squad, and seemingly Rovers not being too worried to see him go, you did wonder where he'd fit in.
      But it's looking absolute genius now.

• I’m sure he was @Wendoverman. His talent on the ball is remarkable and he’s added ball-winning to his armoury whilst spending time to in midfield but, listening to commentary, I got the impression that his finishing today wasn’t quite up to his usual standard.

• 1 went for Grimmer, he was asked to play a very prominent game at throw ins and clearances by Stockdale in place of Vokes. Mehmet was quieter today and Macleary missed a few good chances with weak shots.

• Special mention for Grimmer who was a proper menace down the right (and won a lot of headers) but it’s gotta be Taff for me. Taylor was in his back pocket all game. Solid.

• Scowen, Hanlan and Grimmer were all excellent

• Mehmeti was doing a lot of tracking and pressing although he did not really craft any good chances today but he was being closely marked.

• @Wendoverman said:
      Mehmeti was doing a lot of tracking and pressing although he did not really craft any good chances today….

Other than the one he put on a plate for McCleary (who side footed it to the keeper) :smile:

But other than that I agree it wasn’t one of his more creative days

• I thought Grimmer had a really good game as the out ball from Stockdale, but eventually went for Thompson for setting us on the way with a superb strike capping an excellent return, for him, to the starting line-up.

• Stockdale, for reporting abuse that is completely unwelcome in football.

• Hardest one of the season to pick but Scowen just steals it for me. Great, battling team performance and one that has wound up the Oxford forum in the most predictable fashion.

• I love Thomo and he was excellent today but it has to be Hanlan. The guy leaves nothing on the pitch by the end.

• Lots of deserving votes for Taf too. He was so composed in all situations today that he made defending look easy.

• When you can make a decent case for so many players you know we've had a good day.

Went for Hanlan myself but it was honestly a toss up between him and Scowen, and I couldn't have argued with Thompson, Stewart or McCleary either

• We live in exciting times at Adams Park!

• Looks like a second MOTM in a row for Mustard, unless something drastically changes. The first player to hit 5 awards despite starting less games than many of the other regulars.

• @Shev said:
      Looks like a second MOTM in a row for Mustard, unless something drastically changes. The first player to hit 5 awards despite starting less games than many of the other regulars.

Mutter, mutter, "fewer", hrumph.

• Scowen for me. Although I have voted elsewhere in the last 2 games I think he has been absolutely superb since returning from injury.

Yesterday was as near a complete team / club performance I can remember in a long time.