Skip to content

Derby County FFP and the EFL

Comments

• I think I would rather start again as a new club than be owned by him

• @Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    I think I would rather start again as a new club than be owned by him

He will invest heavily though to get them back in the Premier League. That is the only way he would make money on his investment as he did at Newcastle.

Most will probably have heard about how he celebrated his £305m sale proceeds with a 5 hour session in a pub and demonstrated his incredible generosity by giving the barmaid a £5 tip!

• Wouldn’t swap him for the Couhigs.

• Imagine being a Derby fan, embarrassed by your board's pure cheating, knowing your once proud club will probably plummet at least one more division....

And then reading Ashley wants in.

Just :D

• @micra said:
    Wouldn’t swap him for the Couhigs.

Hang on, you wouldn't want a guy who bought a club merely to profiteer from them, and put the absolute minimum, if that into the club?
    And whose departure was met with possibly the greatest scenes of celebration up north, since Thatcher left?

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    Wouldn’t swap him for the Couhigs.

Hang on, you wouldn't want a guy who bought a club merely to profiteer from them, and put the absolute minimum, if that into the club?
    And whose departure was met with possibly the greatest scenes of celebration up north, since Thatcher left?

Correct!! ?

• Irony tends to be missed on here, especially if it errs on the dry side. @Malone understands and played along- in case anyone isn’t keeping up or losing the will to live.

• Insert ‘is’ between ‘or’ and ‘losing’ ! ?

• Wonder if @glasshalffull is on commentary today. Nick Freeman is on 3CR with @bluntphil.

• @mooneyman said:

@Guppys_Left_Leg said:
    I think I would rather start again as a new club than be owned by him

He will invest heavily though to get them back in the Premier League. That is the only way he would make money on his investment as he did at Newcastle.

Most will probably have heard about how he celebrated his £305m sale proceeds with a 5 hour session in a pub and demonstrated his incredible generosity by giving the barmaid a £5 tip!

Investing heavily is not really his thing, he'll buy them as cheap as he can get em as a distressed asset, scam whoever he can, probably try and blah free stadium rent for a bit and some cheap loans.

• There isn't a violin small enough

• You've got no money and you owe everyone millions, what the hell are you doing trying to buy new players

• Phil Jagielka has walked out on them this morning, not that I'm suggesting for one moment that we do, but can you imagine their meltdown if he came here til the end of the season as defensive cover

• I personally think that Mike Ashley would be all excellent owner for any club who's fans don't expect them to be competing for trophies.

The only way for him to make money is by being in the premier league, and that would be welcomed by all but around 10 clubs.

• He does already have a big warehouse in Derby full of lowly paid staff with terrible working conditions, doesn't he? If a business model works.

• I thought that this sort of moment might come on 1st Jan. Surely the logic of the situation is that the administrators should be selling anything that isn't nailed down to put into the pot for paying creditors? I guess that they are trading that obligation off against the potential to find a buyer on the basis that there is a remote possibility of staying in the Championship.

• Dangerous games being played. Cutting your cloth should be the only allowed option but there's nowhere near enough cloth left. With the ground dodgily separate they have nowhere near enough assets to pay even heavily reduced debts. Their preferred option seems to be to appeal to someone who thinks they can get into the Prem within a few years and get all their investment back.
    I can't see Ashley being excellent for anyone, the man hired Joe Kinnear, he doesn't guarantee you Prem football or plough in money that isn't pretty certain to be coming back. He did put some money in at Newcastle but only enough to stop the club imploding and devaluing his investment.

• Absolute meltdown in Derby today. Think the days of me wearing my previously inoffensive WWFC hat, as I walk to work from the railway station, are over.

• Reading the DCFC fans forum is fun, most of them think they have done nothing wrong and are being punished unfairly.

• One of their posters made a completely valid post which was refreshing to see:

I'm all for criticising the EFL, but aren't they doing the right thing here? If we don't have the funds to fulfill our commitments, we shouldn't be allowed to sign be players.

If, as some people are claiming, they are unreasonably blocking the preferred bidder being announced with their hefty deposit, then sure, blame them. But I'm not sure we've seen any evidence of that, have we?

• @Gary said:
    One of their posters made a completely valid post which was refreshing to see:

I'm all for criticising the EFL, but aren't they doing the right thing here? If we don't have the funds to fulfill our commitments, we shouldn't be allowed to sign be players.

If, as some people are claiming, they are unreasonably blocking the preferred bidder being announced with their hefty deposit, then sure, blame them. But I'm not sure we've seen any evidence of that, have we?

This 1000%, about Time.

• Derby County: EFL asks for proof of how club will be funded for rest of season

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59995698

• edited January 2022

Derby fans seem to be utterly deluded to a man. Almost complete denial of their own wrongdoings, and ridiculous claims that Wycombe are trying to liquidate their club!

Derby deliberately delayed submitting their accounts (which they knew broke FFP rules), purely to ensure they stayed up and we were relegated. That is disgraceful, and we are rightly seeking compensation. If it holds up their takeover then good. I wish them only the worst

• It’s not going to happen but Derby fans need to give their administrators a bit of space in order to broker the deal with ourselves and Boro

• Tom Lawrence on a free would be lovely…

• Can anyone point me to a link that covers Mel Morris admitting to the withholding the documents/delaying the process to avoid the deduction? I remember it happening, I seem to remember there was perhaps audio from an interview or fan forum or something? I could be misremembering

• I am guessing Derby's offer will be a name change to Wayne Rooney's Wycombe and his face on the front of our shirts.

• @therabbittest said:
    Can anyone point me to a link that covers Mel Morris admitting to the withholding the documents/delaying the process to avoid the deduction? I remember it happening, I seem to remember there was perhaps audio from an interview or fan forum or something? I could be misremembering

I’ve been trying to find this too. I believe it was from the BBC Radio Derby interview with Mel on or around 21st September? The audio file is no longer available on the BBC website, just a minute long snippet.