Skip to content

Match day thread: Bolton

12345679»

Comments

• @Wendoverman said:

@HolmerBlue said:
    I find it incredibly sad that a lot of our support are quite happy to watch us time waste, and openly support it and revel in it on here... takes all sorts.

I find it sad that some Gasroomers think Bayo should never pull on our shirt again, only post when we lose because they knew we would, and write 'This is dogshit' after 25 minutes of the first half of almost every game. But it happens. Best not to dwell on it.

True, I should know better

• edited January 2022

Deleted! See below.

• @glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

If said behaviour were within the laws, how would the referee have the option to issue yellow cards?

Because there is no law that specifically mentions time wasting, it would come under the heading of unsporting behaviour and would therefore be at the discretion of the referee.

And would thus be unlawful.

• @glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

If said behaviour were within the laws, how would the referee have the option to issue yellow cards?

Because there is no law that specifically mentions time wasting, it would come under the heading of unsporting behaviour and would therefore be at the discretion of the referee.

As none of the other resident pedants are about, let me challenge this a bit.

Law 7 mentions time wasting, in the "allowance for time lost" section

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-7---the-duration-of-the-match

• So you'd agree that it's up to the referee to add addition time to account for any game management?

GA & Dobbo must know this too.

Therefore, I conclude, that it's about managing the pace and tempo of the game - to our advantage - rather than an attempt to play less minutes.

I seriously don't understand the logic of those people who continually argue that GA & Dobbo should change tactics so as to hand this advantage back to our opposition.

• Exactly. If we were 21st in the league then change things, but we're currently 3rd, having played all the toughest teams away already.

It looks like magnificent management to me so far.

• It all goes back to that season where we nearly fell out of the league. We gave away so many naive or late goals that year.

The next season we started more of the ‘game management’ and results improved accordingly. Ainsworth has never looked back since.

• We did also bring in one heck of an improvement in talent.

JJ, Sido, Pierre, Murphy and Hayes that summer wasn't it?!

• @eric_plant said:
    I remember walking away from Stevenage's ground some seasons ago when they were managed by Westley and genuinely saying "I wouldn't want to have to watch that every week"

I think that is a unfair comparison. Stevenage players time wasting was one thing, the bit I hated about that team were the dangerous tackles. We are aggressive but always fair.

• @Lloyd2084 said:
    It all goes back to that season where we nearly fell out of the league. We gave away so many naive or late goals that year.

The next season we started more of the ‘game management’ and results improved accordingly. Ainsworth has never looked back since.

Not an accident at all, They did a full analysis of the goals conceded

• @LX1 said:

@wwfcblue said:

@LX1 said:
    A mild day in the northwest for anyone making the journey

Sunny at present and fairly clear here in Westhoughton but cars will be frosting up by the time the game starts at 8.

Why is it 8 KO? Gonna struggle to make it home now

I had a blinding journey back to the Hants/Berks borders. Got a blowout on the motorway and it took the AA 5 hours to get me back on the road again. Got home at 7am.

• edited January 2022

@Bacon_Sandwich said:

@eric_plant said:
    I remember walking away from Stevenage's ground some seasons ago when they were managed by Westley and genuinely saying "I wouldn't want to have to watch that every week"

I think that is a unfair comparison. Stevenage players time wasting was one thing, the bit I hated about that team were the dangerous tackles. We are aggressive but always fair.

Stevenage were the worst I've ever seen in 25 years of regular football watching.
    Their players committed so many fouls, their time wasting was outrageous, and they clearly had a set strategy of a player feigning injury midway through each half so that they could have a re-set and mini half time rousing speech from Westley.
    Westley himself was a hateful individual, graceless beyond belief, whereas you see how Gareth conducts himself, how he's constantly praising rival clubs etc, and it really is chalk and cheese.

I never come out of games beyond a bit disappointed at a result, but after a couple of games against them I remember feeling pure aggression.
    Oddly that seems to be how rival fans feel after games with us, but I can't see any similarities at all.

• @wwfcblue said:

@LX1 said:

@wwfcblue said:

@LX1 said:

Sunny at present and fairly clear here in Westhoughton but cars will be frosting up by the time the game starts at 8.

I had a blinding journey back to the Hants/Berks borders. Got a blowout on the motorway and it took the AA 5 hours to get me back on the road again. Got home at 7am.

This is an incredible story.

I think you deserve some recognition at a future game

• @wwfcblue said:

@LX1 said:

@wwfcblue said:

@LX1 said:

Blimming heck.
    Sounds a nightmare, at least you could move to the hard shoulder and it wasn't one of those mad "smart" motorways. Imagine that in the dark, doesn't bear thinking about.

• @Malone said:

@glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

As none of the other resident pedants are about, let me challenge this a bit.

Law 7 mentions time wasting, in the "allowance for time lost" section

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-7---the-duration-of-the-match

Law 12 - includes a yellow card for ‘delaying the restart of play’. That is the catch all for time wasting.

• Speaking of Grimmer's goal, we have seen some beauties from defenders on their weak foot. JJ against Shrewsbury and Taffs against Crewe come to mind.

• @Malone said:

@Bacon_Sandwich said:

@eric_plant said:

Stevenage were the worst I've ever seen in 25 years of regular football watching.
    Their players committed so many fouls, their time wasting was outrageous, and they clearly had a set strategy of a player feigning injury midway through each half so that they could have a re-set and mini half time rousing speech from Westley.
    Westley himself was a hateful individual, graceless beyond belief, whereas you see how Gareth conducts himself, how he's constantly praising rival clubs etc, and it really is chalk and cheese.

I never come out of games beyond a bit disappointed at a result, but after a couple of games against them I remember feeling pure aggression.
    Oddly that seems to be how rival fans feel after games with us, but I can't see any similarities at all.

Beautifully put @Malone

Graham Westley is a despicable character. I invite any football fan making an appalling comparison between that piece and Gaz to read the article below:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2003/feb/02/sport.comment2

• @HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

Not exactly true. The criteria for the issue of yellow cards in relation to time wasting refers to ‘deliberately delaying the restart of play’ which means standing too close to the ball when the opposition have been awarded a free kick. A yellow card for taking too long over throw ins, goal kicks etc would come under the heading of unsporting behaviour and would therefore be at the referee’s discretion.

• @glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

@glasshalffull said:

@HCblue said:

Not exactly true. The criteria for the issue of yellow cards in relation to time wasting refers to ‘deliberately delaying the restart of play’ which means standing too close to the ball when the opposition have been awarded a free kick. A yellow card for taking too long over throw ins, goal kicks etc would come under the heading of unsporting behaviour and would therefore be at the referee’s discretion.

I think that is fair…the law of common sense is the extra unwritten law as we were taught on our refereeing course.

• Presumably the PL he's referring to is some northern regional division?

• @Malone said:
    Presumably the PL he's referring to is some northern regional division?

was going to say he missed an 'N' in front of 'PL'!

• P for positivity certainly. Imagine the laughter if GA had said five years ago that he believed we would be in the Championship within five years.

• @micra said:
    P for positivity certainly. Imagine the laughter if GA had said five years ago that he believed we would be in the Championship within five years.

I remember some guy on the fb group would relentlessly bore on about the 5 year plan, and what's the update, and he ran a business and he always hit his plans etc etc.

Ignoring the huge difference that in football you have 23 other teams battling you to stop you achieving your aims.

• @Malone said:

@micra said:
    P for positivity certainly. Imagine the laughter if GA had said five years ago that he believed we would be in the Championship within five years.

I remember some guy on the fb group would relentlessly bore on about the 5 year plan, and what's the update, and he ran a business and he always hit his plans etc etc.

Ignoring the huge difference that in football you have 23 other teams battling you to stop you achieving your aims.

He did say it and was mocked and achieved it

• @StrongestTeam said:

@Malone said:

@micra said:

He did say it and was mocked and achieved it

Might be a different guy as the one I'm thinking of is one of the middle aged standers who has 20 kids automatically like every post he makes.
    But anyway it has all blown over. For now.