Skip to content

Extra car park for Oxford game

edited January 2022 in Football

4-3 on stands and now 2-1 on car parks

Comments

• That is a real good move. Well done the club.

• This is exactly what the club needs to be doing. So many car parks sitting empty on a match day. They need to be getting out there and speaking to their owners about getting them opened up

• They didn't release many for the upper carpark, apparently a bit of weather damage up there. This is very welcome though.

• Have changed the thread title to something more helpful

• Mrs W was suggesting that place for a while. Good move. Be nice if they manage to get that for evening games as we go into regular Tuesday nights!

• Well done to the club. That's the sort of thing that we'll really need next season if we go up and the occasional 7,000 attendances become the minimum.

(Although it's a bit of a walk for your average footy fan!)

• Good work from the club, surprised they didn't use the new signing GIF to announce it though

• @Malone said:

Amazing that 20 minutes is now considered a bit of a walk. But for a lot of people, you’re absolutely spot on.

• @arnos_grove said:

@Malone said:

Amazing that 20 minutes is now considered a bit of a walk. But for a lot of people, you’re absolutely spot on.

Yes don't get me wrong, for me it's not. I often park further out than Millbrook.

I had a look at the aerial view of that area and they'll do well to get 220 cars into that school playground won't they? Maybe the Google map view doesn't give the full picture.

• they used to use it years ago, I remember. There's quite a lot of space out the back as I recall.

• They did.

We always used to park in the playground of the school next to the Hour Glass, although that's going back about 25 years now

• Actually, more like 30.....goodness

• I assume the school themselves are running it because it hasn't been mentioned to us. Flat, tarmacked, would be a cakewalk compared with Adams Park Upper Car Park!

• Booked car park at 12.30hrs so there are places left for those interested. Normally park in the area near the school. I enjoy the walk to the ground as anticipation rises as to how the game will go. Walking back to the car after the game on a cold day is a great way to warm up and get the circulation moving again. Being away from the ground and Hillbottom Road post match chaos means that once in the car escaping the area is relatively quick. At least when I leave home tomorrow the stress levels on having to find a parking place on arrival in High Wycombe will be non-existent.

• Looking forward to tomorrow. Have I missed the undersoil heating thread?

• Just seen this, an excellent move indeed. As @eric_plant says, this is exactly what the club should be looking to do. When driving to larger city grounds, most people would be delighted to find secure parking for a fiver within 20 minutes walk. Of course there needs to be significant provision for those less physically able, but there is plenty of potential parking within range of AP for the rest of us. Secure a few more spots around about and keep working on the park and ride schemes and things should start to look at lot better.

• The only question the board of governers of this school have to answer is 'why didn't you do it before?'. It's essentially free money for a (presumably) cash strapped state school and the amounts, assuming we haven't stitched them up big-time could be considerable.

• I hope they have someone looking after the site both pre and post match until all the cars have gone.

• edited January 2022

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    I hope they have someone looking after the site both pre and post match until all the cars have gone.

I’m sure a couple of the schoolkids will ‘look after your car for a fiver mister’

• edited January 2022

@CarParkPete said:
    The only question the board of governers of this school have to answer is 'why didn't you do it before?'. It's essentially free money for a (presumably) cash strapped state school and the amounts, assuming we haven't stitched them up big-time could be considerable.

If we provide people to take the money, and give them at least 50%, and it's an easy drive in one way, drive out the other then brilliant.

Noticed you could pre book parking there - but it's off sale now.
    Does that mean it's already sold out? Or do they stop sales, like they do for the ground parking?

• Just reading their forum. Some brainy types reckon our 3 goals against Sunderland were "typical" Wycombe goals.

Even though one was an outside the box strike!

• edited January 2022

I hope we absolutely do them tomorrow. Horrible 1-0 win courtesy of a goal that goes in off a balloon ?

• @Forest_Blue said:

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    I hope they have someone looking after the site both pre and post match until all the cars have gone.

I’m sure a couple of the schoolkids will ‘look after your car for a fiver mister’

My pal Chris once told me that he went to a game at ManC in the Maine Road days with a Director of a national company that they worked for. On parking up a kid appears and offers to "look after your car for a fiver" to which the Director replies, don't need you mate, my Doberman's in the car and he'll do it fine! Kid then replies, " So can he put out fires mister?"

• West Wycombe Road will be offering a 1mile each way bumper to bumper car park tomorrow

• @Forest_Blue its not my car I was thinking about but more the school property.

• @Malone said:
    Just reading their forum. Some brainy types reckon our 3 goals against Sunderland were "typical" Wycombe goals.

They are such a horrible bunch @Malone, pretty much on par with Sunderland fans but without any history. ?

• Sands village hall car park is open today from 1:30pm at £5 a car fills up quite quickly though

• @Blue_since_1990 said:

@Malone said:
    Just reading their forum. Some brainy types reckon our 3 goals against Sunderland were "typical" Wycombe goals.

They are such a horrible bunch @Malone, pretty much on par with Sunderland fans but without any history. ?

Yep, very arrogant about their "success" in the past with a refusal to acknowledge the shadiness of the ownership they had at the time.

Walking out of the game at their place one delightful guy walking with his young kid was giving it plenty of the "wouldn't watch that every week " mantra at my pal who also had his kid with him.
    This was a game where they had more yellow and gave more fouls away, including one quote bad one if I remember correctly.
    But no..Oxford play some sort of peak Barcelona fare whereas we're a worse version of the old Wimbledon.
    With our hatchet men like McCleary, Mehmeti and Obita etc

• Haha ouch!