Skip to content

Chuck Moussadick

2»

Comments

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@our_frank said:
    I'm not sure why any of this is relevant when you consider his well-evidenced role in securing the Evening Standard 5-a-side title.

Twice.

What's an international cap or two compared to that?

It's difficult to explain a) the size of that tournament b) the kudos that winning that had and c) the madness of seeing some top players of the day taking part in a high risk environment. I can't imagine a certain Mr Klopp would welcome it. Certainly a different era for sport, one where Kevin Keegan (one of Europe's greatest players at the time kids) could fall off a bike on a hard ashfelt track and feck himself up in the hope that he might beat a guy who could do squat thrusts in the final of a TV competition. Google it

Not sure 5 a side's qualify as high risk? A lot lower risk than proper games without any doubt. No studs on boots, no slide tackles, full on sprints
    aerial challenges etc.

And the games were played after the normal season ended didn't they?
    However, we were obviously still in the playoffs so would have been a bit mad to get someone injured and miss that!

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Insurance would be sky high nowadays I suppose. You can still hobble about in Walford with an Ice Dancing knackered ankle not so much Old Trafford.

I just took a quick look. Keegan had his very painful bike fall in 76. He was at Liverpool. A current England international. 2 years later was European footballer of the year. Hard to make a comparison to a modern footballer but he was HUGE. Madness

Had a fag and a can of kestrel and ran it off. Probably.

• @Wendoverman said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Wendoverman said:
    Insurance would be sky high nowadays I suppose. You can still hobble about in Walford with an Ice Dancing knackered ankle not so much Old Trafford.

I just took a quick look. Keegan had his very painful bike fall in 76. He was at Liverpool. A current England international. 2 years later was European footballer of the year. Hard to make a comparison to a modern footballer but he was HUGE. Madness

Kestrel !! That brings some memories back, cheapest drink we could buy before going into Naphill and Lacey Green disco's

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Wendoverman said:

@TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Wendoverman said:

Kestrel !! That brings some memories back, cheapest drink we could buy before going into Naphill and Lacey Green disco's

Scandia Green was the cheap lager in the wavy line and other stores in the people's Republic of Downley.

• Brian Budd put Keegan to shame in those contests. Ended up working for Budweiser in Canada. Brian was a great guy and natural all round athlete, played footie in Canada & worked as a TV pundit/analyst. Sadly passed away at 56 years old, I never really found out what he died from in the end.

• Were Chucky and Hydey fired by Smith at the same time?

• @arnos_grove said:
    @Jonny_King thought I should point out as you're writing a piece that the correct spelling of his surname (at least at the time of playing for Wycombe) is Moussadik.

A rookie error! Thanks Arnos.

• @TwinBrother said:
    Were Chucky and Hydey fired by Smith at the same time?

Paul Lewis sent me an old BFP clipping that seemed to suggest so, yes. Hyde got frozen out, Chuck flew back early from abroad thinking he was going to play, only to be told no.

• And thus began the halcyon days of Parkin and Cheesewright.

• Steve Crompton and Chris Way, not the finest glovesman we've ever had !!

• @our_frank said:
    bit niche, this screenplay, @Jonny_King

We can't talk about Chuck without mentioning that 5-1 win against runaway league-leaders Kettering. He had a good game that day, including saving a penalty, I think. I arrived, worried that his name was on the team sheet and left thinking that I might have witnessed the start of something very special. Not for Chuck, though he played his modest part, but for Wanderers.

Nearly. He did indeed have a good game against Kettering but his penalty save was the following week against Yeovil. BWK.

You can see highlights of both games here: https://youtu.be/jp9WcpqQ9Cc?t=2519

That Kettering game is one of my favourites. What a performance.

• How good was Mark West that day? What a player

Also noteworthy of course for Martin O'Neill coming over to the Valley Terrace at half time and asking them to tone down their language!!

• @stevedore said:
    You can see highlights of both games here:

That Kettering game is one of my favourites. What a performance.

Bloody hell that was 30 years ago!! How the hell did the time slip by so swiftly?

• Seems like yesterday @Twizz.

• All our troubles……etc

• 15, even 20 years ago, I could have forgiven. However, 30 years is almost half a (my) lifetime @micra.
    Where has it gone?

• I suppose it’s more than half my lifetime, @Twizz since I stood with your dad in the cattle shed (?) at Loakes Park.
    It’s great to read posts on here from your son, by the way. Very cogent ones too.

• It's as well you can read the posts, @micra, rather than hear some of his (my son's that is not my dad's) comments on the terrace!
    He seems to have picked up a dislike for referees and opposing players. The Loakes Park cattle shed appears to have been a bad influence, although he was about 1 at the time so I can't quite figure it out.