Skip to content

The definitive ex-player news thread

Comments

• @Cecil said:
    I’m not sure even Gaz & Dobbo could turn him around now. Seems like that ship has had its final sail. Such a waste of an immense talent

Very sad. Too much too young and without the proper advice and support can often be a burden. Good luck to him.

• Ibe is only 26 isn't he. Not sure he's finished just yet.

• @Malone said:
    Ibe is only 26 isn't he. Not sure he's finished just yet.

You'd hope not but I really think if there was any chance of a Wycombe comeback he'd be here by now.

Hope he gets his life back on track and his football fortune doesn't lead him down a dodgy path

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

You'd hope not but I really think if there was any chance of a Wycombe comeback he'd be here by now.

Hope he gets his life back on track and his football fortune doesn't lead him down a dodgy path

I would be surprised if discussions hadn't been had. But for all we know he could be an utter **** and deemed too much of a disruption. We simply don't know who the lad is today and what demons he has as a result of too much too soon. Previous favourite lost cause Ravel Morrison is making a fair comeback at Wayne Rooney's Derby™️ so there is always hope.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:

@Right_in_the_Middle said:

@Malone said:

I would be surprised if discussions hadn't been had. But for all we know he could be an utter **** and deemed too much of a disruption. We simply don't know who the lad is today and what demons he has as a result of too much too soon. Previous favourite lost cause Ravel Morrison is making a fair comeback at Wayne Rooney's Derby™️ so there is always hope.

Indeed Gaz mentioned in pre-season that discussions had been had between himself and Dobbo re Ibe. I wouldn’t be surprised if the subject has cropped up again on occasion too.

• Yeah, There was a forum where Gaz and Dobbo were asked. They were fairly diplomatic but made it clear that it wasn't some kind of oversight. Wether he was still after lots of money at the time or was deemed to be a bad influence around the place we won't know, Tbh he doesn't have any track record of playing well regularly to fall back on and might just not have turned out to be that good a player. Hope he can be happy and successful in something and if it is an attitude issue and he does want to play I hope he gets some peace while he has the chance to use his talent.

• You'd imagine where he was to us, was just too big a drop in status.
    After being released and then injured, it wouldn't be next time.

However, we're not the club we were when Gaz picked us up, desperate for any favours and deals we could find, we're the ones who choose these days.

• Two goals for Sam Saunders in Hanwell Town's 12-0 (twelve) win at Staines Town tonight. 5-0 at HT, 87 watched the Isthmian South Central match.

• I used to love it when the vide printer had to spell out the score for a freak result.

• I bet Oxford are wetting themselves over the prospect Browne is available. Sheffield United are in for him so they have no and zero chance.

• I'm not suggesting we would or should go in for Uche btw, but interesting to see if he does move this month

• Just as some of us here took time to appreciate Uche’s singular qualities, the Middlesbrough manager (? Chris Wilder) may now be having second thoughts.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    I'm not suggesting we would or should go in for Uche btw, but interesting to see if he does move this month

I think we should providing the price is right. He's proven his quality, will hopefully now know that the grass isn't always greener and I think under Ainsworth he would only get better and better. Towards the end of last season he looked unplayable at times.

• edited January 2022

Wouldn't make much financial sense having spent a couple of hundred grand on Hanlan (not to mention the fact Sam Vokes exists).

If we go up and he's still available, then I'm sure we'd think about it, but we won't be going after him this month.

• @micra said:
    Just as some of us here took time to appreciate Uche’s singular qualities, the Middlesbrough manager (? Chris Wilder) may now be having second thoughts.

He's not a Wilder-type striker, but Boro's loss will be another Champ club's gain

• I think he would be an ideal signing for Sunderland. Him and Stewart would be a lethal strike force at our level.

• I don't think Uche's well suited to a front two. He's very selfish, which can be a good thing but not in that kind of set-up.

• edited January 2022

Must be Wayne Rooney's Derby surely?

• for all the thrills of Ikpeazu's hold-off-four-defenders-and-curl-it-into-the-top-corner style goals, the one I thought showed real potential was our first vs Bristol City, where he just used his strength to ease the defender aside and head the ball in at the back post. We didn't have too many of those last season, but they're exactly the kinds of goals he needs to score more of to be a great striker.

Equally, I thought his link-up play improved notably during the part of the season where he was available and alongside Muskwe in particular. He's not perfect, by any means, but he's pretty good at this level or just above it already, and has potential and a will to improve, I'd say.

• I also think playing in front of the Adams Park faithful fans would have lifted his game.
    He would have done well in this league had he stayed...but then we would not have Vokes would we?

• no. But as @eric_plant has observed, the Wanderers fans would have loved to have watched him live: not just the strength and power, but the doggedness and unpredictability. Like Keith Scott by Giacometti.

• He's going to Peterborough. We all know it. We will feel sick when it happens. It will happen.

• @our_frank said:
    no. But as @eric_plant has observed, the Wanderers fans would have loved to have watched him live: not just the strength and power, but the doggedness and unpredictability. Like Keith Scott by Giacometti.

you calling me @eric_plant ?

• it's like Harry Potter and Voldemort. You're more alike than you think.

• @our_frank said:
    it's like Harry Potter and Voldemort. You're more alike than you think.

Et tu our_frank?

• Hemel chairman - possibly the ugliest man I have ever seen.

• Surprised he's not signed for a Chinese club!

• @DevC said:
    Hemel chairman - possibly the ugliest man I have ever seen.

No mirrors in your house Devsy ?