Skip to content

Man of the Match - Bolton

Putting this one up early as I can't watch the game.

Poll not found

Comments

• Did not see...but goal and assist...unless he scores three own goals has to be Hanlan

• Hanlan well deserved. Quite a few not far behind though. Lovely job.

• I went for Taffazolli, although can't argue with Hanlan

• I went for Josh.

• Josh for me.

• I thought Obita had an excellent game.

• Hanlan who scored and never stopped running down their defenders. Great performance.

• Definitely Hanlan but mentions for JJ, Obita and Stockdale who made two good saves at 0-0

• Hanlan for me but Josh fantastic

• Has to be Hanlan

• Josh for me - he just works so hard and other than the card hardly put a foot wrong all night, Hanlan a very close second

• Hanlan, by a country mile.

• Hanlan or Josh could have had it but I went for Taff as he was imperious, confident and was straight back on it after his lay off. I think it was the Terry Butcher headband that clinched it for him.

• Taff for me, a step up from Saturday at the back and he made the difference.

• edited January 2022
      The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • Scowen is the daddy

• Almost a home game for me - has to be Hanlan for me scared their defence half to death - tireless running on and off the ball. Best I’ve seen him play. Scowen was good and great goal from Grimmer but wow, Hanlan take a bow!

• Hanlan must have been horrific to play against yesterday. A constant nuisance. Stockdale had a great game in goal. Mehmeti has put in some much more mature performances in a deeper role recently - a position that would have been quite foreign to him 12+ months ago. He also looks much fitter, covering more ground. But, Scowen has to be MOTM. The amount of times he harassed opponents successfully and won the ball back was incredible. Some great tactical fouls and interceptions, breaking up play constantly and disrupting any Bolton rhythm. This setup suits him perfectly.

• edited January 2022

There was a remarkable incident in the 2nd half where Hanlan pushed the ball past his man, went the long way round, was handed off by the defender who was never keeping up with him for pace as he glided past, and as soon as he was away and gone the whistle goes for an imaginary foul. Ridiculous. The simple fact was that Hanlan was far too good for him. Not a foul in sight. It’s like the ref thought he couldn’t possibly have got in front of the defender without fouling, and therefore whistled up ‘on the balance of probabilities’.

• Agreed a ridiculous decision. The defender clearly stuck out his arm to hand off Hanlon and the ref somehow decided to award a free kick to Bolton. Hanlon looks frightening at times, top signing

• It has been intriguing to see Bayo manhandled by three defenders but get blown up for a foul, and Hanlon fighting off a defender and being blown up, while one of Uche's skills seemed to be being a big bloke hitting the floor but looking like he was being fouled all the time! :smile:

• @LeedsBlue said:
      There was a remarkable incident in the 2nd half where Hanlan pushed the ball past his man, went the long way round, was handed off by the defender who was never keeping up with him for pace as he glided past, and as soon as he was away and gone the whistle goes for an imaginary foul. Ridiculous. The simple fact was that Hanlan was far too good for him. Not a foul in sight. It’s like the ref thought he couldn’t possibly have got in front of the defender without fouling, and therefore whistled up ‘on the balance of probabilities’.

This happened to Hanlan a few times against Sunderland too. He is a fast mini Bayo, he gets penalised for being too quick and too strong like its an unfair advantage.

• Hanlan is very quick and direct and that's great but he then won't be waiting for challenges to come to him and then roll people or win fouls in the way Uche and Bayo both did at times. Needs a bit of protection from refs but won't hold my breath waiting.

• Mustards running style leads to him falling a lot - head far forwards low to the ground, when rolling a defender leaning on if the defender steps aside his momentum takes Hanlan to ground
      , sometimes its a foul sometimes not, at pace it’s v hard for the ref to spot which is which.

• @perfidious_albion said:
      Mustards running style leads to him falling a lot - head far forwards low to the ground, when rolling a defender leaning on if the defender steps aside his momentum takes Hanlan to ground
      , sometimes its a foul sometimes not, at pace it’s v hard for the ref to spot which is which.

Perversely he'd probably get two penalties a match in the Prem