Skip to content

African Cup of Nations

Hoping to see Sullay start on Tuesday lunchtime. Game should be on Sky for anyone who’s interested.

Little Cape Verde currently seeing off Ethiopia 1-0. The population of Ethiopia is around 240 times that of Cape Verde.

Comments

• edited January 2022

Cape Verde used to suffer from Portugal sweeping up all their best players / the ones eligible for them (Nani is of Cape Verdean descent, for example), but sounds like they're managing to keep hold of more these days.

• Going to be a huge challenge for Sierra Leone to get anything out of that game. Be great to see Sullay weave a bit of magic against the joint favourites though.

• Not a surprising result. In the FIFA rankings Cape Verdi are 73rd, whilst Ethiopia are way down at 137.

• Yep, Ethiopia's sporting success tends to come on the thing that goes around the pitch!

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yep, Ethiopia's sporting success tends to come on the thing that goes around the pitch!

Only time Ethiopia will be running rings round the opposition.

• Muskwe on the bench for Zimbabwe as they lose to a 97th-minute Sadio Mané pen

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Yep, Ethiopia's sporting success tends to come on the thing that goes around the pitch!

Didn't know the country had a reputation for world class advertising

• @YorkshireBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Mind you, we've managed to do an Oxford with three sides!?‍♂️

• @ValleyWanderer said:

@YorkshireBlue said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Mind you, we've managed to do an Oxford with three sides!?‍♂️

Shhhh, people don't notice when watching on the tele!

• Most grounds only have LEDs around three sides - they're there for TV purposes mainly.

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Most grounds only have LEDs around three sides - they're there for TV purposes mainly.

That's also what I was LED to believe

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Most grounds only have LEDs around three sides - they're there for TV purposes mainly.

Thank's @ReturnToSenda, I didn't know that.

• @ValleyWanderer said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Thank's @ReturnToSenda, I didn't know that.

Probably less the case for us as we're rarely on TV (although we're always on iFollow somewhere in the world), but it's usually just the three sides in view of the camera.

• Kaikai on the bench

• Given the players they have in their team, Algeria have been pretty awful so far.

• That's a great point for Sierra Leone against the current holders. Bag a win against Ivory Coast or Equatorial Guinea and they have a good chance of progressing for the first time ever.

• edited January 2022

Sierra Leone play Ivory Coast at 4 today, Sullay on the bench again

• Sullay is on and the co-commentator just mentioned how well the mighty Wycombe are doing at the moment

• Absolutely comical equaliser for Sierra Leone deep into stoppage time

• What an equaliser for Sierra Leone

• It gets more comical every time I see it

• Was their 'keeper really injured or just too embarrassed?

• Beat Equatorial Guinea in their final group game and their through - although a draw might be good enough to make them one of the four best third-placed teams.

• edited January 2022

Draw tomorrow and Sierra Leone will go through (as will Equatorial Guinea, so maybe they can just pass it to each other for 90 minutes...?)

They'd play Cameroon if I've understood the complicated best third-placed teams system correctly

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Draw tomorrow and Sierra Leone will go through (as will Equatorial Guinea, so maybe they can just pass it to each other for 90 minutes...?)

They'd play Cameroon if I've understood the complicated best third-placed teams system correctly

Reliant on Algeria losing no?

• @therabbittest said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

Reliant on Algeria losing no?

Losing or drawing - well spotted!

• Well tbf Algeria have been awful this year so expect Cote d'Ivoire to breeze past them.

• Absolute rip-roarer to put Equatorial Guinea ahead

• Well Sullay's coming home early.