Skip to content

Comments

• Ooh, is this one going to be missing a goal?

• I thought they were skint?

• Not sure if they are trying to get the land gifted

• What a great idea... Can someone maybe gift us a relief road?

• Could happen, could be a ruse to get Kassam to sell them the current stadium. The current stadium land has a covenant on it so it can only be used for sport, so it's near worthless without Oxford playing there. No other sport would be popular enough to come in and he can't build housing on it.

Imagine Oxford with an 18,000 stadium anyway. They barely fill the current place unless it's Swindon or a big cup tie.

• The other thing to note is Kidlington is on completely the opposite side of the city to the club's core support in Blackbird Leys, Greater Leys, Rose Hill and Cowley.

• Are they going to name it the Ghislane or Glitter Arena ? after Oxons most famous/notorious offspring.

• edited January 2022

@MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Imagine Oxford with an 18,000 stadium anyway. They barely fill the current place unless it's Swindon or a big cup tie.

It'll sell out for our play-off semi! Despite them not caring about us.

• I suspect you've hit the nail on the head @MindlessDrugHoover. Can't really blame them as they were shafted by Kassam and his quest the make a bigger fortune from property development. He needs to be booted into touch and decent owners to take things forward. I don't wish any ill towards fellow clubs (except on the pitch). We were very fortunate to be able to exit the Hayes situation and remain as a (just about) viable club thanks to the Trust.

• Would take about 4 years to get it all approved and built etc.

Wonder how the cinema, restaurants and all that leisure stuff would fare without it.
    Although it is only about 30 days of the year there's a game on in fairness, so they must do plenty of business the rest of the year.

• And who knows, if the price of building materials falls, they might be able to afford to build all 4 stands.

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I suspect you've hit the nail on the head @MindlessDrugHoover. Can't really blame them as they were shafted by Kassam and his quest the make a bigger fortune from property development. He needs to be booted into touch and decent owners to take things forward. I don't wish any ill towards fellow clubs (except on the pitch). We were very fortunate to be able to exit the Hayes situation and remain as a (just about) viable club thanks to the Trust.

Surely you would wish ill on the Franchise .

• Certainly not. It's all too long ago to continue the angst. If parents that have children murdered can forgive and move on then I'm sure football can move on too. Wimbledon have reformed and are doing ok. If MKD had any class, they'd remove the 'Dons' from their name as a matter of respect and reconciliation. Whatever happens, we need other clubs as opposition and we never want to see another Bury situation. Now as for that idiot Serbian tennis player in Australia!

• So after years of losing money in one money pit their solution is to move to a bigger pit.
    You’ve got to love the logic of football finances

• One of the main reasons they've been losing so much money is having to pay stupid rent to Kassam who owns the ground while getting very little of the advertising and refreshment money on matchday and none of the income from non-matchdays. They'd own their new stadium should it be built.

• edited January 2022

@ValleyWanderer said:
    Certainly not. It's all too long ago to continue the angst. If parents that have children murdered can forgive and move on then I'm sure football can move on too. Wimbledon have reformed and are doing ok. If MKD had any class, they'd remove the 'Dons' from their name as a matter of respect and reconciliation. Whatever happens, we need other clubs as opposition and we never want to see another Bury situation. Now as for that idiot Serbian tennis player in Australia!

I'm not sure the parents of murdered children ever move on, let alone forgive the murderer...

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    One of the main reasons they've been losing so much money is having to pay stupid rent to Kassam who owns the ground while getting very little of the advertising and refreshment money on matchday and none of the income from non-matchdays. They'd own their new stadium should it be built.

Those fans who still to this day believe the Booker move was in our best interests should have a close look at the Oxford situation.
    That could have been us paying rent to play at a stadium we didn't own. Just with the even worse scenario of being the lesser relation to a rugby club on top.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Could happen, could be a ruse to get Kassam to sell them the current stadium.

Would they get 25% off?

• @ValleyWanderer said:
    I suspect you've hit the nail on the head @MindlessDrugHoover. Can't really blame them as they were shafted by Kassam and his quest the make a bigger fortune from property development. He needs to be booted into touch and decent owners to take things forward. I don't wish any ill towards fellow clubs (except on the pitch). We were very fortunate to be able to exit the Hayes situation and remain as a (just about) viable club thanks to the Trust.

The proposed Booker stadium from over 10 years ago (where does the time go...) was almost a carbon copy of the shenanigans Kassam pulled. During my campaigning against it leafleting at the game away at Oxford, many of their fans I spoke to made that point too. Our plight has been tough, maybe even desperate at times since the Trust takeover in the aftermath of the collapse of the Booker scheme, though we can be grateful we're not in Oxford's position, where we would have been dead in the water without being bankrolled and racking up eye-watering debts.

• It appears that OUFC have applied to the EFL to trial playing on a triangular football pitch, this would allow them to build a new ground with a stand on each side

• An 18,000 capacity ground, they must be joking. Even Oxford don’t have 18K idiots wishing to go and watch that rubbish.
    I can see this all falling apart and Kassam throwing them out at the end of their lease.
    Maybe they could share with Thame or Chinnor?

• Oxford have incredibly wealthy owners now...

• edited January 2022

@Blue_since_1990 said:
    An 18,000 capacity ground, they must be joking. Even Oxford don’t have 18K idiots wishing to go and watch that rubbish.
    I can see this all falling apart and Kassam throwing them out at the end of their lease.
    Maybe they could share with Thame or Chinnor?

What else would the owners do with the ground though?
    If it can't be used for housing?

Surely the most sensible solution all round is find a way to stay where they are, and actually build a 4th stand. Then they'll probably not be far off 18,000 anyway?

• Exactly @Malone. At the end of the day they're just a fellow club (yes, I know it's Oxford) trying to do the best for themselves and for their future.

• I did do a check on their new location in terms of distance versus the current one.
    Looks pretty much identical timings from Wycombe.

I quite like their current location though to be honest.
    And have decent memories of going to the cinema etc outside of the games when I had links to nearby areas etc.

• edited January 2022

A long time Oxford supporting colleague of mine who is a member of their trust said the conditions are shocking renting the Kassam.

The team/club staff aren’t actually allowed to access the premises on matchday until 1pm.

They get no money from any of the concessions.

They get no money from any events held at the ground.

The rent is extortionate.

They can’t wait to move ASAP.

• Apparently Firoz Kassam wants to make life as difficult as possible for the club, so they move out and he can knock it down and build housing.

Not sure how that fits in with a possible covenant that others have mentioned above.

• Probably like every arrogant richo who thinks a bit of "persuasion" in the right direction will easily see tiny issues like that gone in a second.

• @PrinceOfCrowell said:
    Apparently Firoz Kassam wants to make life as difficult as possible for the club, so they move out and he can knock it down and build housing.

Not sure how that fits in with a possible covenant that others have mentioned above.

I think @DevC can explain that one.

• Interestingly a Newcastle fan was talking about Ashley's 14 years at the helm...apparently he invested nothing in the club or the ground so the newcomers have got to more or less create an infra-structure and fund improvements before they can move forward. Looks good for Derby.