Skip to content

Our attacking four

2»

Comments

• Sam Vokes is one of the finest centre forwards I've ever seen in a Wanderers shirt.

• I’d like to see what would happen if we played Mehmeti just behind Vokes with Mcleary wide right and Obita or Hanlan wide left. Thommo coming in for one of Obita / Hanlan.

Or alternatively, Hanlan up top instead of Vokes.

Vokes has been magnificent but I’d just like to see what we’d be like with Hanlan leading the line.

Perhaps something to look at with 10-15 to go in a game instead of our reliance on Bayo and Vokes could we have an alternative finishing front line.

• @Commoner said:
    I’d like to see what would happen if we played Mehmeti just behind Vokes with Mcleary wide right and Obita or Hanlan wide left. Thommo coming in for one of Obita / Hanlan.

Vokes has been magnificent but I’d just like to see what we’d be like with Hanlan leading the line.

Perhaps something to look at with 10-15 to go in a game instead of our reliance on Bayo and Vokes could we have an alternative finishing front line.

Hanlan's not particularly good in the air though. So we'd have to change the way we play.

• edited January 2022

I don’t disagree that Vokes allows us to play on the deck and high balls. He is magnificent!

I’d just like to see if pushing Mehmeti up alongside Hanlan would give us something different in last 10/15 as an alternative to Bayo. After all Bayo will not be here next season.

• @Malone said:

@Commoner said:
    I’d like to see what would happen if we played Mehmeti just behind Vokes with Mcleary wide right and Obita or Hanlan wide left. Thommo coming in for one of Obita / Hanlan.

Hanlan's not particularly good in the air though. So we'd have to change the way we play.

Hanlan is so quick and strong, he doesn't need to be good in the air. A number of times on Saturday he let the ball drop or bounce to the defender, then outpaced and outmuscled straight round them. Unfortunately the ref deemed most of these (unjustly) to be fouls.

• I thought Vokes had his best game for us Saturday. As someone else said his lay offs were finding Hanlan most every time.

• Vokes is an absolute megastar at this level, as is McCleary

• edited January 2022

I think Vokes has to be one of the most under-appreciated Wycombe players of all time - when you consider his quality and how many people just don't get it because he's not scoring a hat-trick every game. Not the case on here, but you get that feeling in the stands and elsewhere.

• edited January 2022

He gets plenty of "Sammy Sammy Vokes" from where I'm standing, and when subbed on Sat there was warm applause around the ground. Plenty of love for the big man.

Agree with @Forest_Blue that was the best he's played in terms of finding players (Hanlan in particular). There was a debate earlier on in the season that whilst he won his headers it tended to be 'pot luck' where the ball broke. Unless Sunderland was an aberration, we may be about to see the best from the 'Vokes in the air/Hanlan spinning off' combo.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    He gets plenty of "Sammy Sammy Vokes" from where I'm standing, and when subbed on Sat there was warm applause around the ground. Plenty of love for the big man.

I suppose I mean that appreciation should be absolutely unequivocal, and it isn't. Oh well, if some don't appreciate him then that's their lose! Same as the persisting Bayo boo-boys.

• Yes Tom, agreed. Come to think of it, there was even some nonsense on here not so long ago about his negative body language, and his head dropping. Incredible.

Just off for another look at that goal against Belgium...

• Vokes is excellent and does his share of closing down as well. Can’t believe anyone would think otherwise. He is a proper player.

• I know I was not here for the Glory Years gone by but this is certainly the best team of the Ainsworth era...in my opinion...and the silence of some of the usuals on matchday speaks volumes.

• This is the best team we have had since the MON days.

• And to be fair Rob C is the best chairman we have had in my time supporting the Chairboys.

• Rob's reaction to the Sunderland fans on Saturday was quality, I must say.

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    This is the best team we have had since the MON days.

I'll second that

• Without a doubt. It's probably the best side we've ever had

• It'd certainly be interesting to be able to pit this current team against the great MO'N team of the 90s - sports science and fitness has come on so much in that time I imagine this team would triumph but they wouldn't get an easy ride from Mssrs Cousins, Brown, Evans, et al.

Talking of which - great to the legend that is Steve Brown sat near us at the game on Saturday.

• I'm sure the early 90s team wouldn't come off moaning we'd been too physical, that's for sure!

• @Malone said:
    I'm sure the early 90s team wouldn't come off moaning we'd been too physical, that's for sure!

They would know what they were going to get. Probably.

• @Malone said:
    I'm sure the early 90s team wouldn't come off moaning we'd been too physical, that's for sure!

Imagine a 50/50 tackle between Cousins and Scowen !

• I think Scowen would come off worst.

• For a really short, fairly slight guy, Scowen is incredibly robust isn't he. As he gets some treatment at times.

• Is he definitely out for tomorrow’s game, due to the 5th booking, or was that just speculation?

• @LeedsBlue said:
    Is he definitely out for tomorrow’s game, due to the 5th booking, or was that just speculation?

Nah, we're well past the cut-off point.

5 yellows in first 19 games of season = 1-game ban
    10 in 37 = 2
    15 up to last game of regular season = 3
    20+ (impressive if anyone manages that) gets decided by a 'Regulatory Commission'

• Cheers for that! Seems I will never learn not to be 'spooked' by gasroom speculation :-)

• edited January 2022

Vokes is fantastic as he does all the little things so well that often you take for granted in a striker. He wins almost every header, holds it up brilliantly, is fantastic with his feet too. At this level, you often expect a centre forward to not be able to do that, so we're incredibly lucky to find one who can.

Also, initially I thought Hanlan to be a bit of a donkey, but his ability to turn a defender and charge really is fantastic.

I know we've had the Plymouth result, but it would be a great shame if at least once this season we didn't see them let the shackles off at home and run up a huge score. We've had chances earlier on this season, but sat off after a 2 goal lead.

• @eric_plant said:
    Without a doubt. It's probably the best side we've ever had

I would question that “probably”. Much as the MO’N years were fantastic, the side, and even more so the squad, is now unquestionably the best we’ve ever had I’d say.

• edited January 2022

Our attack is superb - come out second-best in the league when you dig into the underlying numbers - although we could be less wasteful. With a better defence, I'd back us to go up automatically, but much improvement needed there (although it's not a major concern as we are still so strong on the other side of the ball).