Skip to content

Chas's Sunday quiz

These clubs Sunderland,Bristol Rovers,West Ham,QPR, Brighton,Oxford United and Gillingham are all connected via a similar link to WWFC.
Can someone explain the similar connection of these clubs to the Wanderers.

Comments

• I'll give the easy/lazy answer. We've drawn 3-3 with each of them?

• I don't think we have, and that is not the answer I'm looking for Mr Twizzy .

• I think all had record home attendances in the FA Cup.

• Prompted by wwfcblue I'm going sky TV games

• Might one enquire if WWFC is indeed the might Wycombe Wanderers FC or could it, in fact, be Wolverhampton Wanderers? @ChasHarps

• Or Whitehill Welfare FC!

• Gissa clue @ChasHarps

• @Twizz said:
    Might one enquire if WWFC is indeed the might Wycombe Wanderers FC or could it, in fact, be Wolverhampton Wanderers? @ChasHarps

WWFC is for Wycombe Wanderers

• Have all these clubs played Wycombe at some point?

• Have they all had ex wanderers as captains?

• Further clue
    There are a number of other clubs that this same link applies to.
    Among them are Manchester City,Burnley,Maidstone United and Staines Town.

• They've all hosted England Women's Internationals?

• I wouldn't have thought Staines Wheatsheaf lane has held a women's international.
    So that's not the link to WWFC, im looking for.

• These clubs have all had players who have also managed Wycombe (or vice-versa).

• Not the answer, im looking for Mr Newbs !!

• @NewburyWanderer it was the Staines Town 'teaser' that drew you into that one, wasn't it?

Chas can certainly set some cracking quiz questions. I haven't got a Scooby with this one...

• A further Clue
    Northampton, York City, Rushden and Diamonds and Hitchin Town also share this same link with WWFC as the other clubs previously mentioned.

• I keep thinkng Fa Cup but QPR ruins that theory

• @LeedsBlue Yeah, it was Staines Town, thought of Alan Gane.
    Earlier on, I did wonder about another answer, it applied to three clubs anyway. We've stood/sat in downpours on a totally exposed away end - Bristol Rovers, Eastville 1982 FA Cup.
    Oxford United, Manor Ground early 2000s.
    Gillingham 2018.
    Might have also applied to Brighton at the Withdean, only went there once, wasn't raining then though.

• Have we played them all on FA Cup 3rd round day?

• No correct answers yet ?

• Have we had a goalkeeper play for us in a game against each of these teams, for at least part of the game, who didn't normally play in goal?

• Not the answer I'm looking for.
    Mr LX has been warmest !!

• Have we played them all in a league game on a designated FA cup day (as in last Saturday was 3rd round day when we played Sunderland and when we beat Bristol Rovers in 2012 after the thunderstorm, it was FA Cup second round day)?

• @PhilSlatter said:
    Have we played them all in a league game on a designated FA cup day (as in last Saturday was 3rd round day when we played Sunderland and when we beat Bristol Rovers in 2012 after the thunderstorm, it was FA Cup second round day)?

Not the answer I'm looking for Mr Slatts

• A Gasroom thread with the title 'Gareth off to....?' has been started about all of them?

• @ChasHarps said:
    Not the answer I'm looking for.
    Mr LX has been warmest !!

I've heard that before

• Are they teams that we would have played in the FA Cup had we not been knocked out in the previous round, for example if we'd have beaten Middlesbrough in 1975, we would have played Sunderland in the 4th round (the draw having been made before the replay).

• Well done Mr Newbs,
    They are all sides we were drawn to play in the FA Cup,, prior to an unsuccessful replay or postponed game.

• I might have said this before, but @ChasHarps is actually Victoria Coren Mitchell in disguise.
    Don't remember ever being drawn against Staines Town though.