Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• Re Sunderland fans being unhappy at JJ being mom. The match day sponsor made the choice - they are Sunderland fans.

• What does everyone make of Stockdale's performance today? The more I see their last goal, the more I'm thinking that he shouldn't have come for it. If he stayed on his line / in 6 yard box, Stewart wouldn't have scored (unless it was a worldie!)

• I thought Wycombe did very well. Looked vulnerable from crosses/down the wings. Disappointed at the lack of Ross/Rod Stewart puns - the first cross is the deepest and they gave Jack Grimmer a bit of a runaround.

Sunderland edged it and I thought they'd won it, but thankfully we never give up. Early kickoff was a pain, just had to make the best of a bad lot. The Funky Elephant was nice, though £8 for a small wrap. Zink on Wycombe market is far better.

• I'm probably one of the few who quite liked the early start.
    Bit of a rush for kick off with prior morning plans, but felt so good to find extra time afterwards.

Clearly it'd be a massive pain for aways any further than say the Oxford game.

• The fact that supporters of both teams are complaining seems to indicate that decisions balanced each other out. Players don't make any referees job easy. Why do they bother to harangue them? I have yet to see a ref reply by saying "you are probably right, I will alter my decision"

• Thought the ref did really well to do the game so quickly and get help on for their captain, which is the most important thing he had to do all afternoon obviously

For what it's worth, I thought Hanlan was looking to go down and it wasn't a penalty

• @Hopping_Wanderer said:
    I thought Wycombe did very well. Looked vulnerable from crosses/down the wings. Disappointed at the lack of Ross/Rod Stewart puns - the first cross is the deepest and they gave Jack Grimmer a bit of a runaround.

He’s on fire at the minute that Ross Stewart. So he’s probably got quite Hot Legs

• And the number of goals he’s scored against us this season is something I Don’t Wanna Talk About (it).

• And a good chance he will be promoted in (Maggie) May

• @Safc_in_peace said:

@ReadingMarginalista said:

@Safc_in_peace said:
    Shame the ref was playing for you but well done to keep going to the end.

Nice try, if a bit obvious. Robson Green levels of fishing there.

I think both sets of fan feel that he was against their team, you claim you should have had a pen, we claim that your second was both a foul and offside. We think that Gooch was fouled in the box for an obvious penalty, you think the Embleton should have seen red, we think that your captain should have had a second yellow and should not have been on the park to score in the last minute.

Football is all about opinion and we all wear rose tinted glasses when watching our teams. But that the reason we keep coming back week after week, year after year.

All in all a good game and a good advert for League 1.

Watch Vokes' goal again.
    All I see is (apart from terrible defending)...

• Forino being wrestled at the back post
    • Vokes barely even jumping because your defender has clutch of his shirt

If it was a foul on your keeper, it was equally a penalty. One of those things unfortunately. I'm sure VAR would have cleared it up.....

• @Otter87 said:
    What does everyone make of Stockdale's performance today? The more I see their last goal, the more I'm thinking that he shouldn't have come for it. If he stayed on his line / in 6 yard box, Stewart wouldn't have scored (unless it was a worldie!)

Tough one - I thought this too, but if it was not for the bobble, the angle was sufficiently closed?

• @Otter87 said:
    What does everyone make of Stockdale's performance today? The more I see their last goal, the more I'm thinking that he shouldn't have come for it. If he stayed on his line / in 6 yard box, Stewart wouldn't have scored (unless it was a worldie!)

I’m thinking it’s one of those where there’s been limited time played between goalkeeper and defender?

As it happened Forino was keeping pace with Stewart and doing enough to put him off. If there was more game time maybe Stocko would have had more confidence in farino and not felt the need to come out?

• @Otter87 said:

Stocko kept us in the game 2nd half !! Move on nothing to see here

• @HolmerBlue said:

@Otter87 said:

Stocko kept us in the game 2nd half !! Move on nothing to see here

Not his best game. Lots of good saves but I wish he had stayed home for the third goal. The other two were point blank and he needs his defenders to stop or deflect the strikers in this situations.

• Yeah, no need to come for the third, but he did more than enough to excuse himself.

• Stocko is so far in credit this isn’t even a discussion. Forino apologised on Twitter for his performance. Again not even a discussion. The lad is not even at the dawn of his career and already he looks like he could be a fabulous player for us. No scapegoats for anything today. Their goals were scored by a first class player. Everyone has credit.

• Oh, I hate Twitter apology culture. That really jumped the shark when Man United went overboard on their 'support' for Bruno Fernandes after he missed that penalty against Villa. No need for it unless you let the team down with a deliberate act of stupidity like decking someone.

• @floyd said:
    The clearest foul in the moments before our second was on Chris Forino.

Think that's what I saw..being grabbed just inside the box.

• Disagree with this. Stewart deserved the match ball today and I'm glad he took it home. It would be very harsh to take the first goal away from him and I'm sure Stocko doesn't want it. Complaining about this is extremely petty and unnecessary imo

• Reminder Bolton away is all ticket

• @WanderingDays said:

Disagree with this. Stewart deserved the match ball today and I'm glad he took it home. It would be very harsh to take the first goal away from him and I'm sure Stocko doesn't want it. Complaining about this is extremely petty and unnecessary imo

At least they didn't take anything fixed with them like the seats this time

• @StrongestTeam said:
    At least they didn't take anything fixed with them like the seats this time

First signs of grudging respect?

• @WanderingDays said:

Disagree with this. Stewart deserved the match ball today and I'm glad he took it home. It would be very harsh to take the first goal away from him and I'm sure Stocko doesn't want it. Complaining about this is extremely petty and unnecessary imo

I was joking (as I think was JT), but it wasn't a hat-trick. Them's the rules ?‍♂️

• The first goal was never credited to him

• Cheers Sunderland. Bye

• In other news....Oxford lost :-)

• @Aylesburyblue said:

@floyd said:
    The clearest foul in the moments before our second was on Chris Forino.

Think that's what I saw..being grabbed just inside the box.

This was so blatant it should have been two penalties. And yet still the bleating black cats whine...

• A really good game between 2 very good teams. Stewart was the difference, how good we be with someone like him? Perhaps one of our development squad will turn out the same.

• Sunderland forum is hilarious reading - calling Wycombe fans the thickest in L1 in reference to this very thread, all while using a vocabulary of around seven misspelled words between them (and 'Marra' of course). Also, boasting that their threads are way longer than ours. Well then! Off to the PL with you, you massive club! Oh wait...

Maybe we should point to them to a historical Gasroom thread with a Shakespearian level of pun building, to blow their collective mind...

• @mwite said:
    A really good game between 2 very good teams. Stewart was the difference, how good we be with someone like him? Perhaps one of our development squad will turn out the same.

We've got Sam Vokes!