Skip to content

Match day thread: Sunderland

Comments

• If that wasn't going for a win, I'm not sure what is...

• @Forest_Blue said:
    Fair result. Sunderland edged the second half and we looked a bit ragged at the back…brilliant forward play from Vokes today.

A BIT ragged? If only it were a bit ragged ?. N fairness though Stewart is a class act up front

• Shame the ref was playing for you but well done to keep going to the end.

• @username123 said:

@Forest_Blue said:
    Fair result. Sunderland edged the second half and we looked a bit ragged at the back…brilliant forward play from Vokes today.

A BIT ragged? If only it were a bit ragged ?. N fairness though Stewart is a class act up front

He’s pretty much got 5 against us this season

• Oh aye.

• @Safc_in_peace said:
    Shame the ref was playing for you but well done to keep going to the end.

When both sets of fans are upset with the ref, it is probably an indicator of a fair result!

Cheers for coming on here, though. And respect to Sunderland for making sure the game was played.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

Lol, he ignored about 8 fouls on Hanlan.

• So, two home games in a row the away team takes the lead in injury time only for JJ to equalize with basically the last kick.

• Their Stewart is a decent player, hear Newcastle are after a centre forward. Will want to play for a big club at some point.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

Oh give over

• Imagine leaving a Wycombe game early btw

• @Safc_in_peace said:

Thanks @Safc_in_peace for your insight. You're a good side and respect to your fans for joining the 21 min applause for those of ours who have passed. Hope the injury is not too serious. All the best.

• There was nothing particularly wrong with that refereeing display. He got the penalty call absolutely right. He could have red carded the Sunderland player for the tackle on Scowen but other than that, was perfectly acceptable.

I was surprised we didn't bring on Thompson to shore up the middle in the second half, especially given Josh was on a yellow. Their counter attack third could probably have been stopped with Thompson and Scowen both on the pitch.

I thought Obita and Vokes had their best matches of the season and Mehmeti is really beginning to demonstrate his quality in a sustained way. McCleary was quiet by his standards but put in two wonderful corners. JJ showed what absolute quality he is at both ends of the pitch. Remarkable given his age. Cementing his position as Gareth's greatest signing in my book.

• I was a bit surprised by the lack of subs too, but it's good to have Thommo and Taf fresh for Tuesday.

• Thought we rectified the right hand side well in the second half, as first half we were getting turned over there.
    Sunderland had a decent period on top and I'm sure we were going to bring on Thompson, bit then we got back strongly so maybe rethought it.

Losing late on would have been a real travesty so thank goodness we added another to the late equalisers collection!

JJ was already on for man of the match with some quite brilliant clearances and interceptions so the goal made it an absolute no brainer.

Not sure who got the first header in, but well done to them as that was a huge part of the goal.

A single point, but a huge point that one.
    Superb to score 3 as you don't always think we're over blessed with goals

• Ps really hope Taf is back very soon. Forino is a decent prospect but has much to learn.

• I've seen some great goals/comebacks from the home end corner over the years. Great end to a really good game. Sunderland should be gutted.

• Brakespear is my least favourite referee BUT I think he had a decent game today. I think he got most things right and I liked the way he didn’t allow the players or fans to influence any of his decisions. That said, Sunderland could have arguably been down to 10 men for that foul on Josh.

As someone eluded to earlier, we need to keep GMac on corners so that both sides can be in-swingers.

• Ref was fair missed a straight red on the Sunderland second half tackle though, your players were in his ear all game so I wouldn’t grumble. You have a quality striker in Stewart will take you up this season.

@Safc_in_peace said:

• That Pritchard is some player too.

• @Safc_in_peace said:

Disappointing comment @Safc_in_peace I thought the ref played a part in a good fast moving footballing match full of attacking flair and defensive howlers. Yet no doubt we will also get the blame from other clubs for the extra time...same old Wycombe forcing opposition players to injure each other. Yet again we are never down and out.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    Lovely point from a game no team deserved to lose.

We do seem to have an inferiority complex against classic big teams at home. Almost like we're lucky to play them, so don't go out for a win.

Sorry @prufrock_91 but that’s utter bollocks. Where were you watching it?

• Just watching the goals back. Pure class from Vokes for his goal.

• Pen stonewall too

• @ReturnToSenda said:
    Just watching the goals back. Pure class from Vokes for his goal.

And had that cheeky nod back gone in. Limbs! I thought it was a really good watch today. No complaints with Bayo coming on...but was surprised not to see Thommo. Except for oyr midfield seeming to vanish when the Mackems were on the attack, I thought Scowen played well and even had a couple of shots!

• @ReturnToSenda said:

I’d call it strength and street wisdom more than class.

• @ReturnToSenda said:

Cracking work by Hanlan for it as well, which I think is what a lot of Sunderland fans are complaining about. You can see him looking at the ball, then get a shove from their defender (pushing him towards the keeper) and Hanlan is switched on enough to quickly switch his attention towards stopping the keeper getting there ahead of Vokes who calmly nodded it in.

Sunderland will cry of pushing and fouling the keeper, but all I saw was smart work by switched on players knowing where to put themselves to be a nuisance.

• @micra said:

@ReturnToSenda said:

I’d call it strength and street wisdom more than class.

In fairness, Lee Johnson has just described Vokes and Bayo as "world class" at winning that initial ball!

• I expect Sunderland to go up this season on that showing...not every team is as tenacious as we are this term.

• Brilliant game and right result as both teams deserved something out of treat game. @Safc_in_peace have a safe journey home and best of luck for the rest of the season. Great game today!!!!!