Skip to content

Sunderland game at risk...

124»

Comments

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    That would be terrible that after all of this we were to have the game called off for a frozen pitch. ?

For what it’s worth (and I am no longer employed by the Met Office!) I am certain that the pitch will not freeze tonight. The temperature locally is a degree or two above freezing and will start to rise later this evening/during the night as cloud and rain spread in from the west. The heaviest rain looks like being late morning/early afternoon as the cold front passes through. Flipping would be, wouldn’t it!

Enjoy what should be a cracking game, everyone, and think of me, dry and warm in my comfortable armchair but missing the atmosphere and all the craic of course.

• @micra Michael Fish?

• Let’s hope not! ??

• I thought he’d left the building, to be honest but I see that, at 77, he had taken up acting. Don’t ask!

• has taken up....

• @eric_plant said:

@ReturnToSenda said:
    Have we ever had a game at AP off due to a waterlogged pitch? Heavy rain not due until the end of the game anyway.

I'm sure we have but I can't think of one at the moment. The infamous Bristol Rovers one should have been, but it was the lightning that was given as a reason

That Rochdale evening game in 93/94? Was that a waterlogged pitch?

@eric_plant, Rochdale on 28/12/93 was called off two hours before kick-off because of a waterlogged pitch, after a thaw set in on a frozen pitch.

Interesting report, a Rochdale fan who set off at 2am through "snowdrifts" commented: "The pitch looked playable to me". Groundsman Jim Gardner worked on the pitch for seven hours in spite of two broken wrists.

https://4b62d619-3be9-4f6d-ba22-f10547da3397.filesusr.com/ugd/74e268_dafc18f8ea59438aaf2a418d5ce67bab.pdf

I can't think of any others postponed at AP because of a waterlogged pitch. Was the Merthyr game at Loakes Park the last one?

• Merthyr one was abandoned !!

• After 15 minutes if I remember. Yes, technically not postponed but lost to a surfeit of water. The lines were all washed away.

• John kettley is a weatherman and so is Michael Fish

• Jonathon Ross collects moss

• @Chris said:
    Jonathon Ross collects moss

David Icke rides a bike

• Graham Poll collects dolls

• @micra can you let us know when this rain will stop please ?.

• A Tribe of Toffs were from Sunderland

• @Blue_since_1990 said:
    @micra can you let us know when this rain will stop please ?.

This afternoon. Best I can do. Can say with certainty that the worst is yet to come!
    Sun could come out before everyone gets home. Let’s hope the Wycombe contingent will be singing hip hip hip hooray ?